Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you guys like regular toe straps or velcro better, and why?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Do you guys like regular toe straps or velcro better, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
So if you change shoes with straps and clips, you don't change the settings of the straps and they still fit right?

That seems to defy physics. I never changed my straps and clips when I changed shoes because it was a pain in the ass, but then they didn't fit right either. The reason I adjust the Holdfasts is because it's easy to do.

Also not having clips means you don't end up with marks on all your shoes from the clips digging in and wearing the toes.

Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
I get your points, but I gotta disagree with my experience. If I changed shoes, I had to change my strap fit. So I always wore the same shoes with my velcro straps. Depending on the quality, and RG straps are great, but others might have to be adjusted frequently.

You said it yourself, you routinely do it. Nothing wrong with that, but for my clips and straps, once they're set, they're set. I do think they can be more comfortable though.
Old 08-13-12, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Of course, you have to adjust your strap fit for any shoe with any strap. Clips + straps are by far easiest to adjust. You can do it while riding. You can also get them much tighter.

Not saying velcro are hard to adjust, just not something you can do while riding. But its set and forget for those specific shoes.

The problem with clips and straps are the clips. Fatter shoes like supra dixon / supra terry kennedy for example I would need a LL MKS clip. I couldn't wear my chuck taylors with those clips since they are so much more slim and I would be swimming in them. I would have to purposely set my feet back so I could be on the balls and just didn't feel right in such a big clip. Eventually I switched to L MKS clips and only wore slimmer shoes. But then I couldn't wear fatter shoes at all.

Velcro straps solved all that. I could wear steel toe boots if I wanted.

Then there is the pedal issue. Ridges digging into your sole. Not comfortable at all. That is why people go with MKS GR-9, Urban platforms, etc. Because they are actually comfortable. But then you have no backside.

Aside from all that, I don't see how you could possibly have a clips + straps setup where any shoe works. Makes no sense. Unless you set your straps super loose and have basically all the same sized shoes.
Old 08-13-12, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clips & straps: easier to adjust, feel more secure, easier to put my foot back into after as stop b/c the clip makes the whole thing stay in shape better.

Velcro straps: less wear on my "nice" shoes, more range of adjustment for different size of shoe.

Based on some generic clips with nylon straps & Holdfasts.
Old 08-13-12, 03:02 PM

Bikes: blkmrkt nsf / GT ZR 3.0 (custom build) / Kona Dawg (custom)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diff
Of course, you have to adjust your strap fit for any shoe with any strap. Clips + straps are by far easiest to adjust. You can do it while riding. You can also get them much tighter.
I hope you're not riding fixed while trying to adjust your clips!? Seems like a sure-fire way to knee yourself in the face.
Old 08-13-12, 03:13 PM
Magnets, how do they work

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But it totally looks moar pr0 ha
Old 08-13-12, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's pros and cons for both. Having tried both, I'll stick with clips/straps until (and if) I go clipless.

My wife prefers velcro, I prefer clips/straps. I pretty much agree with everything people said.
Old 08-13-12, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NcA13
I hope you're not riding fixed while trying to adjust your clips!? Seems like a sure-fire way to knee yourself in the face.
Are you talking about clips and straps with a buckle? I would always loosen and tighten when riding. Never hit my face with my knee once. In all reality that is how they are supposed to be used. Tighten them down when starting, and loosen when need to get out.

Clips and straps are much more secure, though. You can tighten them down so your foot goes numb if you wanted. Sometimes that feels good.

Best to try both and see what you like. If I had to bomb more hills, would probably be using clips and straps just to stay more secure. But pretty flat in chicago so dont get into situations where I am about to spin out and need to skid.
Old 08-13-12, 04:27 PM
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love Clipless, hate the shoes but if I move someplace that commuting is more common I would probably return to it. In the mean time since my bike is essentially a townie I prefer velcro straps since it doesn't matter what shoes I'm wearing
Old 08-13-12, 04:53 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by NcA13
I've adjusted my double straps many times while riding and have never once kneed myself in the face.
Old 08-13-12, 04:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prefer velcro heads over toe clips
Old 08-14-12, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut, Kazane Track, Ciocc Designer '84, Serotta Colorado AL 25th anniversary, '85 Guerciotti Pista, '84 Trek 660, Volume Credence

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride with velcro straps in the summer cuz sandals.
Old 08-14-12, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just switched my beater back to BMX pedals and holdfasts from clipless.

+1 velcro for me.