Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Give me some solid info on Brooks Saddles...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Give me some solid info on Brooks Saddles...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 05:25 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks saddles can vary thickness up to about .030", and that's alot. It's skin. The Pros, and similar models are harder to break in because of their cross section being narrower and thusly, more arched. It seems that Brooks buy the blanks and then decide what model to use them on. B-17's are plenty stiff, and will remain so, if you don't get carried away with treatments that can soften the leather, or ride them soaked. That includes Proofide.

Tropics: Tough on leather. But, it's only a bike saddle. Just treat it normally, use a bag to cover it in rain when parked, and fender up. Personally, I'd be more concerned about my armpits and nether regions if I lived there.

One poster said something about "third world saddles" and road conditions. Right. It's the conditions that Brooks are referring to - not the saddles. The same B-33's and such are also found on ice cream bikes and work bikes in factories and city streets. This type is also called a tractor seat. It's an issue of all-day comfort vs. performance.

I also find the B-67 to be the best saddle I've ever had. For those who are concerned about the springs being too 'springy', don't. They are very stiff, and only come into play when needed. I'm 235lbs right now, and have never had an issue with 'pogo sticking' on the saddle due to the springs.
Old 06-24-07, 02:54 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
The statements like "Don't ride them soaked" cause me concern. Frequently I will get caught in a tropical downpour while riding. I am not going to stop and EVERYTHING will be soaked in a minute or less, fenders or no fenders. It is like riding in a waterfall. I ride rain or shine and since the rain is warm, it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-24-07, 03:28 AM
Erectible Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
The statements like "Don't ride them soaked" cause me concern. Frequently I will get caught in a tropical downpour while riding. I am not going to stop and EVERYTHING will be soaked in a minute or less, fenders or no fenders. It is like riding in a waterfall. I ride rain or shine and since the rain is warm, it doesn't bother me.

Something like what is mentioned in the review below might work in conjunction with proofide treatments, you could leave it on all the time unless you are certain its not going to rain. From what I've read, I don't think its bad anyways if a Brooks gets wet on occasion, so long as you don't ride them soaked, which would stretch them out.

Leather saddles are great until you need to leave your bike out in the rain. The natural leather doesn't deal well with getting wet and you can quickly damage your saddle by repeatedly getting it wet and riding on it. There are a number of Brooks-compatible saddle covers on the market but this one from Truant Designs has a nicer design than any other saddle cover that I've used or looked at.

https://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/tru...dle-cover.html

Here is the manufacturers web site, they come in colors other then pink

https://www.truantdesigns.com/Seat%20Covers.htm

There might be better products, the reviewer rides with the cover on, but said that the cover isn't designed for riding. But that is just one that came up in a google search. Maybe some posters have better suggestions. Of course a plastic bag would work too while riding, might be kind of slippery though?
Old 06-24-07, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It rains a lot here in Riga, sometimes out of the blue, often very hard. Both my wife and I use Brooks saddles and stash a plastic bag under the rails. When we are off the bike and it is outside we cover the saddle. We both ride the naked saddle in the rain with no problems, your butt covers most of the saddle.
Old 06-24-07, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not going to stop and EVERYTHING will be soaked in a minute or less, fenders or no fenders.
With a wedge, and keeping my butt on the seat, the only thing on my bike that doesn't get soaked in a downpour is the seat. The next time you've been riding in one, find someplace out of the rain & get off your bike & see if your seat got wet.