Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drivers who intimidate and drive at cyclists are nothing more than miserable cowards

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drivers who intimidate and drive at cyclists are nothing more than miserable cowards

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
Trust me, no one gets out of their car when you punch out their rear tail light with your fist.
Old 10-03-15, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ParkingTheBus
3 years of riding a bike and I can't come up with any other conclusion. It's always the same culprit, same car, same incident, same roads...

I had 3 incidents today and I'm just sick of it and need to rant. I was biking home from a single track trailhead. My route home is a massive MUP alongside a road, so it's totally seperated. I'm traveling WITH traffic, when this car comes speeding into a plaza. I have to slam on the brakes (I have the clear right of way) before this idiot hits me. He stops and I literally scream at him for 10 seconds. He turns his head away and doesn't even look at me.

I'm crossing an intersection not even a kilometer from this incident^ when some guy in a truck honks at me and starts yelling. Of course he has his window up and honked when I was halfway across. He then turns right and drives slower then normal. I think it was an invitation for me to come confront him, but I rode straight off. Typical pickup truck driver. I'm 6 feet, 200 pounds and would pummel him, and this middle aged guy knew it hence the cowardly tactics.

Next, we have a classic right hook. Some lady right hooks me AND a pedestrian on the MARKED MUP, just to get into a parking lot. As she was struggling to look for a parking spot, I rolledu p and told her that she needed to be careful. She apologized and was genuinely sorry (or was she?)

No matter where I bike, I encounter the same BS. The same drivers trying to get to Walmart or McDonald's 5 seconds faster and in the process, almost killing people. When you catch up to them at a red light, they're completely silent and won't even look you in the eye. These people are nothing more than miserable cowards who are often out of shape, obese, or just mad about SOMETHING.... bad marriage? Crappy job? It's infuriating to say the least and I just need to rant..
Wait, so you're on an MUP next to the road and you have an issue when people drive across that to get into a parking lot?

Why not just ride on the road?

Old 10-03-15, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I hit a pedestrian head on way back when I was only 20. Skin from the mans hands rubbed off on my car hood trying to stop himself before his head smashed through the windshield. Fortunately, he lived. I still think about it all the time. Slow down people. Take it easy. Help save a life.
Old 10-03-15, 03:53 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I live in Canada, but I reside in a suburb where drivers are crazy and nobody cycles. Even the country roads are horrid, as they're often unpaved or too narrow.
Which city and which suburb do you live and ride ??...Are you from Toronto ??...I know that all the suburbs around Toronto are very dangerous for cycling.
Old 10-03-15, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Multiple GIANT bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Wait, so you're on an MUP next to the road and you have an issue when people drive across that to get into a parking lot?

Why not just ride on the road?
It doesn't matter man, Lol. Roads are even worse. A cyclist on the road here is such a weird site, people have no clue what to do when they see one. I rather take MUPS and sideroads. The MUPS are clearly marked...
Old 10-03-15, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Which city and which suburb do you live and ride ??...Are you from Toronto ??...I know that all the suburbs around Toronto are very dangerous for cycling.
I'm in Mississauga, pretty much Oakville/Milton. Worst area for cycling. Pathetic infrastructure, speeding cars, 8 lane roads.. Everybody just rides on the sidewalk.
Old 10-03-15, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Get off those MUPS, they can be more dangerous than riding the highways
Been cycling for over 300-thousand miles since the early '70s on roads and highways including some (legal) Interstates here out west. Ridden in 30+ states (including FL).
Am 82 years old and take a bit of offense to the "Korean Vet" remark by MMLC.
Served during the Korean conflict and also survived the Nazis' brutality and starvation in Europe as a kid.
Still pedal 100 miles a week at age 82.
MMLC: Show some respect for your elder!
Pedal on!
Old 10-03-15, 06:14 PM
Banned

I'm in Mississauga, pretty much Oakville/Milton. Worst area for cycling. Pathetic infrastructure, speeding cars, 8 lane roads.. Everybody just rides on the sidewalk.
I live in central part of Mississauga and I choose my routes very carefully. I am lucky to have few MUPS and streets along my commuting route which aren't too bad for cycling, I avoid most major arterial roads because they are too dangerous. Some parts of Mississauga are very bad for cycling. The main problem over in this area is speeding, fast moving traffic and too many distracted drivers using their cell phones.
Old 10-03-15, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Where I ride - old mostly abandoned higways - I'm often completely isolated. All it would take is one redneck type with a pistol to shoot me and nobody would ever know about it..

Which is why I carry.
Old 10-03-15, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by corrado33
2. carry a pocket knife with me at all times. Fists vs. knife = knife wins unless redneck truck driver knows any sort of martial arts, which is highly doubtful.
Be careful or you may end up getting stabbed with your own knife...I also carry a pocket knife but I think of it more as a tool then a weapon. If I was in a situation with no way out I would prefer to use my chain and padlock as a weapon instead of a knife.
Old 10-03-15, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I hit a pedestrian head on way back when I was only 20. Skin from the mans hands rubbed off on my car hood trying to stop himself before his head smashed through the windshield. Fortunately, he lived. I still think about it all the time. Slow down people. Take it easy. Help save a life.
I had a guy run into the front of my car once. The front part of my bumper took out his legs and he landed across the hood and rolled onto the ground. He threatened to sue me but didn't. He should have seen my car or at the very least heard it. The guy was not a very productive part of society. Drivers should really slow down and cyclist use caution at all times.

Last edited by Flatbroke; 10-03-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 10:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I live in central part of Mississauga and I choose my routes very carefully. I am lucky to have few MUPS and streets along my commuting route which aren't too bad for cycling, I avoid most major arterial roads because they are too dangerous. Some parts of Mississauga are very bad for cycling. The main problem over in this area is speeding, fast moving traffic and too many distracted drivers using their cell phones.
It's just suicide riding on the roads in the suburbs... Few cyclists = lack of awareness and ignorance. I'll sometimes have to hop off an MUP and take one of these 8 lane highways for a short distance due to some sort of detour, and for some reason drivers think it's totally OK to come within 3 feet of you while speeding at 80 km/hr.

I've given up and I'm just going to accept the fact that this area just isn't made for cycling... I find road biking boring anyways so it's not a big loss. Toronto and the surrounding suburbs are making greater efforts to accomodate cyclists though. I notice more bike lanes popping up in Toronto and when construction/new development is taking place in the suburbs, bike infrastructure will automatically be put in place in the form of an MUP or a bike lane. We're slowly getting there my friend.
Old 10-03-15, 11:08 PM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
My first advice is do not ever directly confront anybody. That is the height of stupidity. There are all kinds of people with CCWs, and many carry firearms and knives illegally. Confronting them gives them the option of saying you were threatening them...and they shot/stabbed you. And you would be in the wrong. The best thing is to ride defensively and just pretend that all the cars around you are going to do the absolute most stupid thing possible....and most of the time, you will be right. If someone actually breaks the law, get it on video, get witness names, tag numbers, and all the information you can, and turn it over to the proper authorities. If anyone hits you, get all the information and turn it over to both the authorities, and your insurance company.

Again, never directly confront anyone. Road Rage laws also apply to cyclists. It could be interpreted as an assault.
Old 10-03-15, 11:16 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have the sheriff's non-emergency number in my cell phone. I have called in close calls a few times. Several of those drivers have had conversations with the men in blue.

Ben
Old 10-04-15, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
And now you guys see why I can be afraid of getting into roads. This guy has 3 bad incidents on one ride. I would love to do long rides on the road, but unfortunately, like this guy suggests, drivers don't care about cyclists. And they may even carry guns.
Old 10-04-15, 12:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
And now you guys see why I can be afraid of getting into roads. This guy has 3 bad incidents on one ride. I would love to do long rides on the road, but unfortunately, like this guy suggests, drivers don't care about cyclists. And they may even carry guns.
I live in Canada. Guns aren't much of a problem, but I know what you guys mean.

What kind of riding do you do?
Old 10-04-15, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I live in Canada. Guns aren't much of a problem, but I know what you guys mean.

What kind of riding do you do?

Been riding my road bike on the multi use paved trails and have been riding my mountain bike on mountains/hills. But I have started testing some roads with my road bike. It hasn't been a great experience. It's like I don't know how to ride with traffic safely because a bike isn't the same speed and I don't know what to do when a bike lane ends and traffic is behind me.
Old 10-04-15, 06:43 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The sheer sarcasm and arrogance emanating from you is part of the reason why so many motoroists hate cyclists. Let me guess, had I been taking the lane on the road on a 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite, I would have been safe?
"Not to be cocky"
"In the event that somebody actually attempts to touch me with their fists, they'll get a deserved beating"
Who is arrogant lol?

"This is why I'm quitting road cycling"
No offense bud but based upon your own posts you are not a road cyclist. And that is your problem.
You ride sidewalks and MUP's which are mostly populated with housewives and children and wonder why multiple incidents befall you daily by the exact same people that you profiled in your bike rage incidents.

Other people in this thread have picked up on the fact that bike rage and riding the MUP are your personal issues. Your ridiculous attempts at stereotyping 30 year old women and obese pickup drivers are wrong and insulting.
Have fun in the woods and can't wait to hear about your bike rage incidents involving squirrels and deer.
Old 10-04-15, 07:05 AM

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105; 2015 Felt V100

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading stuff like this is the reason I've done 99% of my cycling this summer since May 31st (beginning of my "season" this year) on our subdivision roads. Over 2000 miles this summer and the same 1.5 mile "loop". It gets really boring seeing the same thing over and over again....but at least I'm not dealing with a-holes on the road as described in this thread. Although next summer I'm planning on trying a metric century and a few other organized rides, so I'm going to have to leave my comfort zone eventually.
Old 10-04-15, 07:25 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by largefarva
Reading stuff like this is the reason I've done 99% of my cycling this summer since May 31st (beginning of my "season" this year) on our subdivision roads. Over 2000 miles this summer and the same 1.5 mile "loop". It gets really boring seeing the same thing over and over again....but at least I'm not dealing with a-holes on the road as described in this thread. Although next summer I'm planning on trying a metric century and a few other organized rides, so I'm going to have to leave my comfort zone eventually.
No offense but in your case wouldn't a spin bike in the comfort of your own home be the best?
Old 10-04-15, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Been riding my road bike on the multi use paved trails and have been riding my mountain bike on mountains/hills. But I have started testing some roads with my road bike. It hasn't been a great experience. It's like I don't know how to ride with traffic safely because a bike isn't the same speed and I don't know what to do when a bike lane ends and traffic is behind me.
In some areas/instances, there's literally 0 you can do unfortunately. Where I live, they just enacted a safe passing law and posted up a million of those "Share the Road" signs, but I still encounter the same garbage almost daily. If it's something you really like to do, I'd keep on going. For myself, I'll just stick to commuting and trails.

Originally Posted by bakes1
"Not to be cocky"
"In the event that somebody actually attempts to touch me with their fists, they'll get a deserved beating"
Who is arrogant lol?

"This is why I'm quitting road cycling"
No offense bud but based upon your own posts you are not a road cyclist. And that is your problem.
You ride sidewalks and MUP's which are mostly populated with housewives and children and wonder why multiple incidents befall you daily by the exact same people that you profiled in your bike rage incidents.

Other people in this thread have picked up on the fact that bike rage and riding the MUP are your personal issues. Your ridiculous attempts at stereotyping 30 year old women and obese pickup drivers are wrong and insulting.
Have fun in the woods and can't wait to hear about your bike rage incidents involving squirrels and deer.
Reading comprehension not even once. Lol. I don't ride sidewalks. I ride roads and MUP's which are clearly labeled and even have their own traffic signals for bicycles. I don't need to be dressed up in lycra and riding a carbon frame bike to be a road cyclist. I think the few thousand kilometers and couple of centuries that I've covered on my hybrid and friends road bike qualifies me as one

Sad, I'd expect much more support from a fellow cyclist.

Originally Posted by largefarva
I've found that riding with a friend or doing a group ride is much safer. More people to overtake means drivers have more people to watch out for. I have a couple routes that I ride for fitness, about 60 km. It gets old, but I also don't have to deal with cars.
Attached Images
Old 10-04-15, 07:34 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Anymore it seems that if you can afford them, the best thing to have is a go-pro or some kind of camera to show the situation to the police. It time that more drivers that threaten cyclist be taught not to suck eggs. A nice high fine is definately in order.
Old 10-04-15, 07:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
No offense but in your case wouldn't a spin bike in the comfort of your own home be the best?

Nope. The last few days I've had to put my bike on the trainer and it's not nearly as fun as being on the road. If I resorted to nothing but being stationary I doubt I would keep it up. At least during the fall/winter/early spring I have next late spring/summer to look forward to and be motivated to get stronger. I'll take doing a mile and half loop over a stationary bike any day of the week. An hour and a half on the road doing my loop in the neighborhood goes a lot quicker than even 30-45 minutes on the trainer.

Last edited by largefarva; 10-04-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-04-15, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In some areas/instances, there's literally 0 you can do unfortunately. Where I live, they just enacted a safe passing law and posted up a million of those "Share the Road" signs, but I still encounter the same garbage almost daily. If it's something you really like to do, I'd keep on going. For myself, I'll just stick to commuting and trails.

Reading comprehension not even once. Lol. I don't ride sidewalks. I ride roads and MUP's which are clearly labeled and even have their own traffic signals for bicycles. I don't need to be dressed up in lycra and riding a carbon frame bike to be a road cyclist. I think the few thousand kilometers and couple of centuries that I've covered on my hybrid and friends road bike qualifies me as one

Sad, I'd expect much more support from a fellow cyclist.

I've found that riding with a friend or doing a group ride is much safer. More people to overtake means drivers have more people to watch out for. I have a couple routes that I ride for fitness, about 60 km. It gets old, but I also don't have to deal with cars.
I'm going to try out some group rides next spring/summer for sure. I just need to find something in my area other than the bike shop that we bought my wife's bike from. They do a group ride every Saturday at 8am during the summer...but I'm not exactly a morning person. After having to get up at 4:30am every day for work during the week I like to sleep in a bit (usually around 5:30am or whenever the dogs wake us up...no later than 6am) on the weekends and relax with a big cup of coffee before we do our weekly chores (groceries, etc.) on Saturday mornings.
Old 10-04-15, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Instead of cringing and quitting, why don't you guy take a LAB Road I course or, better yet, a s Cycling Savvy course? You obviously don't know how to ride on the road, if you did, you wouldn't waste your time on MUPs and wondering why people are always cutting you off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.