Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Freak - Gazelle Friiik

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Freak - Gazelle Friiik

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 05:50 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That cassette looks odd in terms of it's cog sizes.

Looking to my eye like 11-13-15-18-21-23-25t, so perhaps 25t is all that there is room for(?), unless that one bolt boss can be relieved enough to fit in a 26t.
I doubt any cog larger than what's currently in place will work as intended. The chain needs room to ramp upwards off the teeth during a downshift. There already appear to be witness marks on the boss from this too; factory cut it too close with their own tolerances.

-Kurt

Old 11-14-22, 06:03 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Technically maybe too young for the vintage part of the forum but a classic in its own right, the Gazelle Friiik (pronounced as "Freak") was introduced in 2011... and killed off in 2012.
Unique and interesting enough of a bike that I doubt anybody in C&V is going to care.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-14-22, 06:33 PM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That cassette looks odd in terms of it's cog sizes.

Looking to my eye like 11-13-15-18-21-23-25t, so perhaps 25t is all that there is room for(?), unless that one bolt boss can be relieved enough to fit in a 26t.
It is. According to WMZprojecten the original rear sprocket sizes are exactly that.

If my above calculations are right, I could replace it with an 11-speed Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 (11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25T), remove 3 sprockets, and end up with the following:

Ritzelrechner (original above, idea below)

Assuming 33T for the front chainring for now, this extra gear would fill in the large gaps in the middle and the other owner complains about the large steps between 4, 5 and 6.
Though in the end I doubt I have much wiggle room. Smaller than 11T isn't possible, larger than 26T is unlikely and at best I might be able to sneak in 1 or 2 teeth in the front chainring.

That being said, in the short bit I drove it for I wasn't exactly whishing for much more of a gear range on the flats so it's probably already a good setup.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-07-23, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
My own example:
So I picked up mine for €75, knowing the bottom bracket was shot. It was pretty bad. When I rode the bike back from the seller to the trainstation I stopped to check whether my right crank arm was loose and about to fall off. It was the bearings.
Hi JaccoW,

I bought my Friiik 10 years ago, and it's just started to develop a wobble in the crank. I took it to a bike shop and they reckon the bottom bracket needs replacing, but the one for the Friiik is no longer available.
Did you manage to replace the bottom bracket on your Friiik? If so, which one did you buy?
Likes For doublewheels:
Old 10-07-23, 05:09 PM
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Goats - Not Greatest Of All Time!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
It would have been a bit of a challenge for a hamster, methinks. I've been informed that the goat could get the 'bike' up to15kph, which actually makes it a useful thing. I rather like it, assuming the goats don't mind (or perhaps even enjoy) the trips.
If you look closely the goat in the cage is a "horny" billy and the upper goat is a nanny "in season".... In Spanish: La cabra e el macho cabrio!

In passing, 20 kg - 44 Lbs. is not a big deal in the Netherlands because much of the country is fairly flat.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 10-08-23, 10:45 AM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by doublewheels
Hi JaccoW,

I bought my Friiik 10 years ago, and it's just started to develop a wobble in the crank. I took it to a bike shop and they reckon the bottom bracket needs replacing, but the one for the Friiik is no longer available.
Did you manage to replace the bottom bracket on your Friiik? If so, which one did you buy?
Hey Doublewheels,

This project (like many of my projects) have been on a bit of a hiatus these past two years. From what I can tell they use standard sealed bearings so you could replace those without much issue probably. You would have to disassemble the entire axle and use the right tools to take the old ones off and press new ones in.
No clue on part numbers or anything so far as I haven't gotten to that point in this build just yet.

EDIT: I'll try taking a look at the bearings later this week. WMZ projects said they use "The bottom bracket bearings are common industry deep grove ball bearings."

Last edited by JaccoW; 10-08-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-15-23, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi JaccoW,

Thanks for your quick reply. Whilst I'm pleased that I do normal bike maintance work myself, taking apart a bottom bracket is something I've never attempted.
Time to start watching some YouTube videos, to see how difficult it is...
Likes For doublewheels: