Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel frames: lugged vs. TIG welded

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel frames: lugged vs. TIG welded

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7056 Post(s)
Liked 11,111 Times in 4,745 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Some people can accept they are fundamentally wrong about something, say so, and learn from it.
Others lash out, deflect, and dismiss.
Yes, like this:

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Gosh, "clowned" on BikeForums.net, how will I ever live with myself?!?! Next thing you know We're Going To Yell At You.

:::dancingbanana:::
I'm always blown away by this sort of behavior. I mean, if a person can't admit to a silly mistake on an anonymous web forum, what is he like in real life? Yikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-23, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 444 Posts
I thought this guy's video was pretty good. He's approaching it from the standpoint of a small independent framebuilder, not necessarily mass production, but he discusses the pros and cons of each and shows you how it's done. I have both, lugged and TIG-welded. I'd rather have lugged of course, but our Rockhoppers are TIG welded and tough as nails. I don't particularly like the way TIG welding looks, though.

Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-25-23, 01:50 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I thought this guy's video was pretty good. He's approaching it from the standpoint of a small independent framebuilder, not necessarily mass production, but he discusses the pros and cons of each and shows you how it's done. I have both, lugged and TIG-welded. I'd rather have lugged of course, but our Rockhoppers are TIG welded and tough as nails. I don't particularly like the way TIG welding looks, though.

Brazing vs TIG Welding for Bicycle Frames
I have a Tig welded Kona Kilaeua with Reynolds tubing and a Tig welded Scapin in Dedacciai tubing they are rock solid frames. The 1990's rockhoppers and stumpjumpers used tange cromo and the 1990's allez as well. They were high quality frames
Old 06-25-23, 02:39 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
if a person can't admit to a silly mistake on an anonymous web forum, what is he like in real life? Yikes.
Ask anyone of BF: I'm a dick.

Why would anyone's online behavior match "real life"?