Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gravel grinding

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 06:09 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Gravel grinding

All of a sudden gravel grinding seems to be all the rage. But not for me. From the 3rd grad to the 9th when I lived on the farm, riding my bike to school on gravel roads gave me all the gravel grinding I wanted for a life time. Give me a nice clean smooth black top any day.
Old 07-19-18, 06:24 PM
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Is grave grinding something goths do at a goth rave?
Old 07-19-18, 06:28 PM
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 07-19-18, 06:34 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Is grave grinding something goths do at a goth rave?
Yep. It was a big thing in the 90s and early 2000s.
Old 07-19-18, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I just don't get the gravel grinding mindset. Is it roadies that want to go faster than off-roading allows so they ride faster on gravel roads? Or, is it mountain bikers that have had enough of the same old trails and need to expand their horizons? Perhaps it is the hipsters wanting to get back to the roots of cycling and deep down want to ride the sensible bikes of their ancestors.

Why are there "special" dedicated bikes for this? How about a mountain bike with narrower tires, or is that just too logical? Or, a touring bike with 37mm tires? Or, just a good ol' mountain bike?
Old 07-19-18, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I just don't get the gravel grinding mindset. Is it roadies that want to go faster than off-roading allows so they ride faster on gravel roads? Or, is it mountain bikers that have had enough of the same old trails and need to expand their horizons? Perhaps it is the hipsters wanting to get back to the roots of cycling and deep down want to ride the sensible bikes of their ancestors.

Why are there "special" dedicated bikes for this? How about a mountain bike with narrower tires, or is that just too logical? Or, a touring bike with 37mm tires? Or, just a good ol' mountain bike?
A mature industry has to create demand or it is no longer profitable. Read John Kenneth Galbraith's The New Industrial State as a starting point.

Though I do agree with your point, really. I bought a pretty versatile bike so that I could ride pavement, dirt, and gravel all in the same ride. And if I slapped fenders and a rack on it, it would make a great commuter. Not much need for a special bike for riding on gravel roads.
Old 07-19-18, 07:02 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
All of a sudden gravel grinding seems to be all the rage. But not for me. From the 3rd grad to the 9th when I lived on the farm, riding my bike to school on gravel roads gave me all the gravel grinding I wanted for a life time. Give me a nice clean smooth black top any day.
LOL...you're in the wrong city in the wrong state to get that for more than an instant.

I commute on my gravel/touring bike with 40mm tires because the streets are crap. And the roads generally aren't much better. Of course, when he don't get 0.5" to 1.5" of rain, I'd rather take the rails-trails system as the joggers-with-earbuds volume is much lower on those sections of trail than the urban paved sections.

I just don't get the gravel grinding mindset.
Few drivers, generally. Going slower, generally. Giving you more room, generally. Also in the Great Plains your options for paved roads are few and far between...probably 10:1 miles of unpaved road versus paved road, at a guess. Roads everywhere are falling apart so much governments state and federal have ceased even counting miles of unpaved road AFAIK.

I know a guy locally who refuses to ride on anything other than paved highways with full-width paved shoulders....which means he has 5 roads he can ride on in his entire county.
Old 07-19-18, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I ride Rural paved roads the most.
If I specifically go seek out gravel I usually take my 29er hardtail MTB, as there will be single track involved.

however infrastructure is in decline, paved roads are getting worse. and in many places gravel roads are prevalent.

For me personally, I'd call it more of an allroad bike rather than calling it a gravel bike. as my purpose is to have a bike with fenders that isn't restricted to paved roads. A road bike with 700x38 tires. Fenders , because i love to ride in the rain, but I hate riding on wet roads that are mixed with spilled chemicals, spit, poop, piss, beer, soda, whatever else i see humans dumping on the road with zero respect for anyone else in this world.

I probably missed a few, but.... you get the idea. right tool for the job. I am just glad we have options.
trikes
city bikes
hybrids/fitness
comfort
cruiser
road race
road endurance
gravel
XC
cyclocross
all mountain
fat bike
folding
touring
Old 07-19-18, 07:09 PM
vespertine member

For me, the appeal is that I'm a roadie and I live in an area with a lot of gravel and minimum maintenance roads. Gravel grinding means that I get more roads to ride on and more areas to explore by bike. It also makes me a better and stronger road rider: grinding up some stupid 16% grade on gravel is hard compared to a 10% paved hill, and some of the technical skills one learns from gravel (skills which MTBers have, but I lack) make me more confident on paved roads.

My reason for a dedicated bike is that I don't need the suspension found on a modern MTB, which adds additional weight for the price point, and I cannot see myself comfortably riding 60-100 miles with flat bars (though I know people who have done this, just my preference.) An oldschool hardtail MTB with drop bars would be fine. Ditto for a touring bike, minus the racks and all that jazz. Heck, we've had fat bikes show up to gravel rides. But, since I didn't own an oldschool MTB or touring bike or fat bike, and wanted to ride gravel, a gravel bike seemed like the appropriate choice.
Old 07-19-18, 07:16 PM
vespertine member

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I know a guy locally who refuses to ride on anything other than paved highways with full-width paved shoulders....which means he has 5 roads he can ride on in his entire county.
Sounds about right. I came up with 4 for my county and the three other counties I usually ride in
Old 07-20-18, 06:07 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Or, is it mountain bikers that have had enough of the same old trails and need to expand their horizons?
That's part of it for me, tbh. Add to it that some days I don't want the isolation of singletrack. Gravel keeps me a little more connected to civilization.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 07-20-18 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 06:15 AM

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on where you are, I think. In some places it's pretty damn hard to find 100 miles of smooth blacktop that isn't (A) a high-traffic small-shoulder highway or (B) stretches 2-3 miles long that are connected by 5-8 mile long stretches of gravel.

I like it, because the idea of a bike with narrow tires that sinks in to soft earth isn't appealing at all. I like the occasional grassy detour, and I won't ever stop and unclip for a large patch of gravel.

I guess if you really want perfectly smooth riding you can always set up a Zwift rig.
Old 07-20-18, 06:27 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Hi, what's this thread about?
Old 07-20-18, 06:33 AM

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Why gravel bikes are rad when hybrids aren't.

I think it's pretty simple, though - a big ugly comfort seat and skinny-leg cheap suspension fork with upright riser bars doesn't look cool.

I think this is pretty all right, though, and Trek still puts it in their hybrid category:
Old 07-20-18, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
The worst part about unpaved roads is the scenery.

Old 07-20-18, 08:18 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The worst part about unpaved roads is the scenery.
So gross. Where are the shoulders on 4-lane roads with a bunch of debris?
Old 07-20-18, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Pretty sure it's someone who felt the need to ask the all important rhetorical question:

"Hey, what's up with people who choose something I don't?"
Old 07-20-18, 08:33 AM

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Most of the paved roads in Michigan are like going off road anyway. Even dirt roads have huge potholes.
Old 07-20-18, 08:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's because I live in a rural area with lots of gravel roads, and only a few paved routes to ride out of town, one of them being a major highway. So having a gravel bike with wider tires opens up the avenues I can ride.
Old 07-20-18, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is that the Windows XP default background?
Old 07-20-18, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Pretty sure it's someone who felt the need to ask the all important rhetorical question:

"Hey, what's up with people who choose something I don't?"
If that didn't happen, BF would likely cease to exist. Remember the one recently, "Why do some riders not wear gloves?"
Old 07-20-18, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Is that the Windows XP default background?
Melrose-Twin Bridges Country Road (a/k/a Melrose Bench Road) in Montana. Beautiful road with free range cattle in some areas. Have ridden it three times. Never gets old. You usually cannot hear any man-made sounds. Just the wind through the grasses, the buzzing of insects and the calls of birds. But don't be fooled by that shot. It has some very steep ups and downs and serious washboard in places.
Old 07-20-18, 09:04 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ That's rocks, not gravel.

That stuff will slice the sidewall of any decent gravel tire pretty quickly. I'd ride the dirt on the side of the road even with 40's.

I'd carry the bike if I had 28's.
Old 07-20-18, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I rode half a mile of this with 28c tire...and I swore I never want anything to do with gravel again.
I am not so sure that I would even want to ride that on a 4.8 fat bike!
Old 07-20-18, 09:07 AM

So gross. Where are the shoulders on 4-lane roads with a bunch of debris?
That's actually the NorPac rail-trail heading west up to Lookout Pass, which is at the border of MT and ID. The only alternative is to ride up to the pass on I-90, which is legal. The trail is managed by the U.S.F.S. and is open to motor vehicle traffic. Not long after I took that shot a car came in the other direction. Because of the nature of the road, what little car traffic there is goes quite slowly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.