Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Starter Road Bike Is Recommended?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What Starter Road Bike Is Recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I have to agree with the many other, you would either have to save some more and see what 1k gets you. Or take your search to the used bike market. You could score a pretty good deal on a used bike. Good luck with the search OP.
Old 06-26-20, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N1CKV
I am still very new to serious cycling. My first "road bike" came from Academy Sports (private labeled Kent) for $250.
I learned a few things and after about 100 miles realized this bike was not going to hold up to any serious cycling miles.

Being that this was during the COVID lockdown time I was able to capitalize on that and sold the bike for what I paid for it on FB Marketplace within 30 minutes.

I turned around and went to my LBS and the only thing available that would fit me was a Trek Domane AL2. To be perfectly honest I was not looking to get a carbon frame and I saw no reason to spend on a disc brake setup (very flat here and I won't be riding in the rain often). I was actually hoping for a Domane AL3 for the slightly better groupset, but I took what I could get. The Claris groupset is very smooth compared to the garbage Tourney I came from but I really would like an extra gear (or two) when riding in a pace line.

Overall I am very happy with the ride of my aluminum Domane and I know it will only get better when I upgrade tires in the future. I can really see it being a long term bike with upgrades along the way. I'm not looking to really race, I'm in it for fitness.
in the near future I foresee a lot of used bikes flooding the market as people that just bought them during stay at home orders stop riding and look to move them from garages.
Glad I came across this tread. I'm in the market for a bike, its a bit tough at the moment. I am hoping the market gets flooded with bikes once the summer passes or next season, I guess for now I will work on test riding and chatting up the folk at my LBS. Anyways, need to have a better understanding of what I want to ride, I think a touring bike or an adventure road bike, for fitness and eventually commuting.