Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1947 Raleigh Dawn Tourist?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1947 Raleigh Dawn Tourist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there
I already looked at the back of the seat LUG (thanks for the correction) and still found nothing. I believe that if there was a serial number inprinted, it would be noticed dispite the amount of black paint the previous owner sprayed on it, right??

Someday I will start to improve my old raleigh, so it can last a few more decades.
what would you guys start by doing?
Thanks
Old 10-11-07, 03:25 PM
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Theflyingdutch
Hi there
I already looked at the back of the seat LUG (thanks for the correction) and still found nothing. I believe that if there was a serial number inprinted, it would be noticed dispite the amount of black paint the previous owner sprayed on it, right??
Ah no, - I've had Raleighs where the frame number has been all but invisible until I took to the overlying paint with some 400 grit wet and dry paper.

What to do first? Give your bike a really good clean and service, then ride it lots
Keep your eyes open for missing bits like the mudguards and work towards restoring its original appearance. Resist any urge to do a major teardown and full restore until you're certain that you (a) have the skills to do it, (b) know what state of finish your bike actually had originally, (c) really do like the bike and want to keep it.

Have fun
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-11-07, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi.
As to the last "requirement" you can be sure... Many people tryed to buy the bicycle from me, because it really stans out in the high-tech MTB filled roads we have here..
I love it a lot and no other bike i've ridden is more confortable than this. I live on the countryside, and this is the right environment (from what i've read) for these roadsters...
I think I can find some original parts, like the mudguards. But others, like the chaincase will be allmost impossible.
I0m fortunate to know the owner of and old bike shop here, and he has many new pieces kept way for decades... some full of dust, but still wrapped in the original papers...
But again, some things he does not have... For instance, it is very hard to find a coaster brake over here...
I'll see what I can find. One thing is certain... I'd rather have nothing on this particular bike, than have stuff that is not 60's raleigh original...
By the way.. you guys think it is a 60's bike, right? I'll check on that number
Thanks