Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Tour de Romandie

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 08:57 AM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Tour de Romandie

Thought I'd start a new thread on this one just because of -to me- how complicated it seems? A bunch of time trialing, big names, and a prologue. Barely have scratched the surface with this, and I'll be combining fantasy + reality.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
romandie looks like a mini-blast. expecting a lot of overlapping riders between bike forums squad selections...no one's dumb enuff to take any of the four of the most crash-ridden faves in recent memory (lopez, thomas, kruijsin and ritchie)...are they?more optimistic about the romandie team selection than i have been regarding my selected squad in a long time. that cinches the league dfl right there.
Lol I swapped out Geraint and put Woods in instead. Am I just asking for it now!? So many big names for a good price I couldn't justify 'G' which is too bad I think he's really going to tear it up. We'll see how it goes as today continues...​​​​​​​
Old 04-26-21, 01:18 PM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,691 Posts
bleep...no kamna. was looking forward to one of his "escapades."
Old 04-26-21, 01:42 PM
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
And only one big honking mountain top, at least as far as I recall from a quick scan. I'll go in a little later and tune up my picks for it.

Good idea setting up this thread. I know this isn't Velogames-specific here, but I hope we all can co-exist. OK, MinnMan ? Superclasico now cools off until 5/15.

I expect lots of Ineos action but probably without the cognitive dissonance of your typical Movistar or recent UAE multi-pronged event.

I hope Froome is able to get over the post traumatic time trial warm up disorder. Times two.
Old 04-26-21, 02:58 PM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

thought almeida would be riding this but looks like he'll hold off till the giro.

are we expecting remco back for the giro? any news?
Old 04-26-21, 04:23 PM
bored of "Senior Member"

^ Remco is on the DQS short list for the Giro but IDK about his latest goings on. He hasn't raced since Il Lombardia.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...list/startlist

I wouldn't be surprised to see Masnada make it rain in Romandie here and there, particularly stage 2, but he didn't make the cut for my roster.
Old 04-27-21, 01:48 AM
velo-dilettante

i will say (and can't believe it) team slow (s)pokes got every rider it wanted on the roster for romandie. pumped. maybe the second time that's happened in
the last 7-8 years in any fantasy effort. memory is a little hazy as to how things turned out that last time but let's assume the usual worst. that said, feeling confident
for once and hoping to say for the first time in an eternity that i love it when a plan comes together. will likely be on the skids and off the rails
after the prologue but hey...almost gt time...can you (the warriors) dig it?

Last edited by diphthong; 04-27-21 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 01:59 AM
velo-dilettante

tt's (both short & a little longer but one less than USAZorro prescribes and prefers), a proper classics-styled stageroo and a mountain stompfest or two forthcoming.
c'mon baby (with apologies to shirley & lee along with harry), let the good times roll. c'mon baby, let me thrill your soul.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-27-21 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 02:09 AM
velo-dilettante

pretty sure i brought it up last year at some point but what would you pay to watch both a one-day classic and a short 4-6 day tour
only featuring the current crowd of white jersey candidates/≤ 25yo in 2021? that would be spectacular...especially without radios.
Old 04-27-21, 02:16 AM
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
^ Remco is on the DQS short list for the Giro but IDK about his latest goings on. He hasn't raced since Il Lombardia.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...list/startlist

I wouldn't be surprised to see Masnada make it rain in Romandie here and there, particularly stage 2, but he didn't make the cut for my roster.
was my next man in if there was another exit/non-starter a la kamna.
Old 04-27-21, 03:41 AM
bored of "Senior Member"

With a little kicker climb at the end of the prologue, I'm torn on my day 1 pick. I'm confident it will be one of Ganna, Cavagna, Besseger, or Kung. Which means the rider of Rohan is going to surprise me and win.

The cobbled climb in the final TT is going to be wacky.

Was anyone picking teams in the VG league able to resist the Sagan fire sale?
Old 04-27-21, 04:01 AM

For only 8 credits I swapped out Kelderman for Sagan, then with the extra cash I swapped out Meintjes for Haig. I feel like I'm tempting fate by neglecting Wanty. Uran was also a no start so I caught that in time, glad I looked at that "Start" column.

Lot more puncheurs and TT guys for me, but I slotted in Kuss for the mountain stage. Got another rider I'm holding close to my chest till the prologue starts hoping for a unicorn.

... Thoughts are lingering about over looking Hirschi ...
Old 04-27-21, 04:02 AM
bored of "Senior Member"

i will say (and can't believe it) team slow (s)pokes got every rider it wanted on the roster for romandie. pumped. maybe the second time that's happened in
the last 7-8 years in any fantasy effort. memory is a little hazy as to how things turned out that last time but let's assume the usual worst. that said, feeling confident
for once and hoping to say for the first time in an eternity that i love it when a plan comes together. will likely be on the skids and off the rails
after the prologue but hey...almost gt time...can you (the warriors) dig it?
I, too, was largely unencumbered by budgetary restrictions. That leaves only my own incompetence and bad decisions to blame when everything goes sideways. And fate. Yeah, fate, that's the ticket. And that's bike racing. <shoulder shrug> <Belgian whoof>

The more I look at this, the more I like it. I think it's going to be a spicy little stage race.

I've never been a big fan of prologues. But since this is Tuesday, and Switzerland, the guy in the top bunk makes both beds. So I'll just keep flipping coins and trying to choose between Colbrelli and Ulissi for Stage 1.

P.S. if velobucks were truly unlimited, I would have had Porte on my team. I was able to console myself because he's got to be the unluckiest guy out there and my pick would have surely helped DNF him. Again.

P.P.S. GrainBrain , are you sure about that move? Folks are expecting big things out of Wilco and Louie this race. And Gaviria. Don't forget Gaviria.

Last edited by slcbob; 04-27-21 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 04:05 AM

pretty sure i brought it up last year at some point but what would you pay to watch both a one-day classic and a short 4-6 day tour
only featuring the current crowd of white jersey candidates/≤ 25yo in 2021? that would be spectacular...especially without radios.
It would be a greyhound track race where they chase the slovenian white rabbit. But I would pay - especially if they provide camera shots of rider reactions each time the motorbike time check comes around!
Old 04-27-21, 05:04 AM
velo-dilettante

With a little kicker climb at the end of the prologue, I'm torn on my day 1 pick. I'm confident it will be one of Ganna, Cavagna, Besseger, or Kung. Which means the rider of Rohan is going to surprise me and win.

The cobbled climb in the final TT is going to be wacky.

Was anyone picking teams in the VG league able to resist the Sagan fire sale?
ded to me since before his hissy fit. he could win the next 4 tdf's. he's officially bobby shaftoe.

absolutely knot. with that classics stage?! proly picking him to win it, he or tales of brave ullissi.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-27-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 05:08 AM
velo-dilettante

I, too, was largely unencumbered by budgetary restrictions. That leaves only my own incompetence and bad decisions to blame when everything goes sideways. And fate. Yeah, fate, that's the ticket. And that's bike racing. <shoulder shrug> <Belgian whoof>

The more I look at this, the more I like it. I think it's going to be a spicy little stage race.

I've never been a big fan of prologues. But since this is Tuesday, and Switzerland, the guy in the top bunk makes both beds. So I'll just keep flipping coins and trying to choose between Colbrelli and Ulissi for Stage 1.

P.S. if velobucks were truly unlimited, I would have had Porte on my team. I was able to console myself because he's got to be the unluckiest guy out there and my pick would have surely helped DNF him. Again.

P.P.S. GrainBrain , are you sure about that move? Folks are expecting big things out of Wilco and Louie this race. And Gaviria. Don't forget Gaviria.
gaviria's got zilch the last 2.5 years...just like cavendish...oh wait...i thought i was going reverse psychology with miggylo, gthom, stevie wonder and reginald van dough's nemesis but throwing out wilco, louie and gaviria...masterstroke.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-27-21 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-27-21, 05:10 AM
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
For only 8 credits I swapped out Kelderman for Sagan, then with the extra cash I swapped out Meintjes for Haig. I feel like I'm tempting fate by neglecting Wanty. Uran was also a no start so I caught that in time, glad I looked at that "Start" column.

Lot more puncheurs and TT guys for me, but I slotted in Kuss for the mountain stage. Got another rider I'm holding close to my chest till the prologue starts hoping for a unicorn.

... Thoughts are lingering about over looking Hirschi ...
just for giggles, proffer slcbob a question about his opinion on meintjes...
Old 04-27-21, 05:19 AM
velo-dilettante

hell yes x 2. those team choices overlapping tho...

Last edited by diphthong; 04-27-21 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 05:33 AM
velo-dilettante

It would be a greyhound track race where they chase the slovenian white rabbit. But I would pay - especially if they provide camera shots of rider reactions each time the motorbike time check comes around!
Old 04-27-21, 06:22 AM
velo-dilettante

gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that this is the busiest a tour of romandie thread has ever been on these forums-ever. and it hasn't even started yet...
Old 04-27-21, 07:02 AM

Yeah I expected a pat on the back and assurance of my fantastic picks. Now I'm nervously looking up Meintjes ... Feeling better about the snub. Rohan though, he redeemed after winning the Giro for Tao ... So I made sure to snub for Ganna. Hmm. Now with the entry time past I can reveal my secret pick in Lucas Hamilton. Michael matthews was talking him up abit ... Simon is on fire ... Hmm. Prologue time. Maybe I should actually look at each stages profile ...
Old 04-27-21, 07:06 AM

gaviria's got zilch the last 2.5 years...just like cavendish...oh wait...i thought i was going reverse psychology with miggylo, gthom, stevie wonder and reginald van dough's nemesis but throwing out wilco, louie and gaviria...masterstroke.
Old 04-27-21, 09:39 AM

1-2-3 ok ineos​​​​
Old 04-27-21, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4401 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,872 Posts
1-2-3 ok ineos​​​​
Even with Ganna putting in a sub-par performance
Old 04-27-21, 12:51 PM
bored of "Senior Member"

Yeah. Wow.

They could do it again on the last stage. Extraordinary.

I wonder how this swashbuckling approach is going to play at the Giro. With or without whisperings of Egan's back acting up again.
Old 04-27-21, 01:15 PM
velo-dilettante

Yeah. Wow.

They could do it again on the last stage. Extraordinary.

I wonder how this swashbuckling approach is going to play at the Giro. With or without whisperings of Egan's back acting up again.
bernal already feels old with the wave of talent he helped to usher in. it would probably be best for him to take an entire year off out of cycling to mend that back but we all know that ain’t gonna happen. he may have gone supernova and will only put up the occasional stage win, top five or ten finish from here on out. shame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.