Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 05:17 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wise move willic... I'm far more wary of dogs after the trail of comic events that was supposed to be a sunday ride: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/45730-one-those-rides.html

The good weather has offered the chance to get a few extra miles on the commute here too.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 02-19-04, 05:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes right Ed...

Cycles and Dogs do not make the best of "bed fellows".

The prospect of aggrivating a hole bunch of mean looking Hounds never appeals . Heck these animals are starved before their hunting assignment.
The prospect of a few chuncks of poor old cyclist is probably quite appealing to them...
Old 02-19-04, 09:24 AM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, willic and Ed! Very interesting activity! I've only seen that in the movies, we don't have that here in the US (that I'm aware of). Anyway, it gave me a great visual. Great commute this morning, I'm really enjoying this balmy weather we are having up here in the frozen hinterlands. I know it's short lived but I'll enjoy it, I'm actually able to put some extra miles in myself.
Old 02-19-04, 09:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a glorious, great to be alive day here in DC - temps in the 50s - a great ride in as I attempted to cycle off the effects of my 14 course meal last night
Old 02-19-04, 09:42 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
On the bike path last night, I was lollygagging a bit on my Cross-Check with heavy, studded tires. A road bike with slicks blew past me without so much as an “on-your-left.” My competitive instincts kicked in, and I kept up with him just fine.

Then we came to one of the few remaining stretches of ice, about 20 feet long. The road bike had to slow way down, get off the path and ride over the bumpy grass with scattered ice and snow.

My Nokians took me straight over the ice, no problems. I never saw the road-biker again.

Over the winter, I got used to having the path all to myself. Now that the fair-weather commuters are back, I'm going to have to learn to share again.
Old 02-19-04, 10:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, good reading willic & Ed...

Studded tires, ice & snow, broken racks & dirty bikes... Winter huh?

A bit of rain all day yesterday & this morning was clean & fresh 42 degrees !!

Aha, Southern California, expecting another 65-70 degree ride home today
Old 02-19-04, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mtessmer]Hey, willic and Ed! Very interesting activity! I've only seen that in the movies, we don't have that here in the US (that I'm aware of). Anyway, it gave me a great visual.

Yeh I suppose Fox Hunting is a Aristocratic throw back to visions of typical rural England,conjured up many in scenes in books and films.

Still pursued in many parts of the Country, but under fire these days from the (Guess who) Animal rights campaigners.

Personally I quite like to see The Horse and Riders in their splendid colourfull jackets, with the Master Huntsman cracking his whip and calling in the Hounds wih that charicteristic blast of the Horn.

I know it can be a rather Gory and savage death for the Fox, but I tend to balance that with the Knowledge of the Renard itself being an indiscriminate killer that will not only make a killing for its food but, for instance, if they get into a chicken run will slaughter all the occupants....
Old 02-19-04, 02:04 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, a true sign of spring: Increase of posts in the 'How was the commute today' thread

Another gray day for me, but much less wind which was appreciated. The big hawk was in the same tree today with the addition of a few crows harassing him. For the first time my Brooks b.67 felt "soft". Nice. (now if only I could somehow stop the springs from squeaking )
Old 02-19-04, 07:18 PM
Ride to remember

Bikes: 02 Giant OCR 3, 95 Kona Cinder Cone, 83 Norco Monterey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke down and braved the winter and did my first ride since December 29. I took the Kona to work at 5 this morning after putting on a chead pair of fenders last night. Just a 14 km ride to work now but I was happy to replace the stationary bike at work with some wind in my face. I didn't even take the road slicks off because the roads were clean and dry.

A funny thing happened on the way to the office though. I have to cross a canal by one of the three bridges in town and the one that's curently closed was still open, I thought, to foot traffic. It wasn't. I ended up inside a tarped enclosure that was filled with scaffolding. Through an opening in the tarp I entered an second chamber with the same equipment, however the opening at the other end wasn't big enough to get the bike through. I searched around and found a way out and blasted off like a kid who went somewhere he shouldn't have.

The ride home was via one of the "open" bridges. Enough excitement for one day.

90% chance of icy rain overnight.... Do I ride again?
Old 02-19-04, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 267 Posts
Best day for commuting of the week & I had to drive in due to a work luncheon! On a cheerier note, I went to the Seattle swap meet Sunday & came home with lots of good stuff. Best of which was NOS pair of white leather Lotto cycling shoes for $10.00, can't wait for some nice warm weather to wear them. Don
Old 02-19-04, 09:11 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Not quite as warm as I was expecting this morning (thank God), my broken pannier rack is still limping on for the moment. I wonder how long this can last?

That is all.
Old 02-20-04, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Is seemed warm and sunny here in the DC area this morning, so I left my overcoat on the bike rack and just rode. I was warm by the halfway point, and it was just glorious. In fact, I unbuttoned my suit jacket for the last mile.

After I arrived, I found the temperature was 37 F / 3C, which surprised me. Nevertheless, it looks and feels like Spring. I can just make out the buds on the trees.

Paul
Old 02-20-04, 08:00 AM
Not Green, Celeste!!!

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't commuted in a while so it was nice to be back on the bike. I dicovered one of my kids used my ear muffs while sledding and neglected to return them, there will be an appropriate councelling session this evening.

Had two deer run across the road just in front. Oddly enough, it was in an industrial area. Still beautiful to see on the ride.

Nice to be back on the road.
Old 02-20-04, 02:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No bike ride this morning as I had to take Mrs. Caloso to a doctor's appointment. Called into work and discovered there's not much going on so I'm just going to stay home and start the weekend early.
Old 02-20-04, 03:35 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride today, some high thin clouds (or fog maybe) and clear blue skies behind. It really looks nice now and has warmed up. Wish I wasn't so busy here at the grind I'd do a little lunch riding. Well, the weather people claim this will last for the weekend so maybe some rec riding will be in order.
Old 02-20-04, 06:39 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Sweltering hot ride last evening, with the usual Friday morons in Surfers. I note that the reality of a permanent existence on the dole hasn't bitten the last Schoolies' Week intake yet -- their little crap-heaps haven't yet been repossessed by that evil big bad bank manager!

On the plus side, my broken pannier rack is still just about doing the job. On the minus side, it could be another week or more before I get to replace it.

That is all.
Old 02-20-04, 10:21 PM

It was dry today, low clouds or fog in the AM which burned off for a sunny afternoon. I rode the Grand Jubile & really got up some speed which made a nice change from my normal commute pace. Don
Old 02-21-04, 02:11 AM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
1st commute of year

Did my first one of the new year. My new beater finally arrived, e-bay I love you, and thought I would take her out. About 15 km round trip, hills turns and stopsigns gallor. The big smoke needs bikelanes in a bad way, It was great to be back riding to work. I would have started sooner but my "real" bike is still too new and precious to be taken out in the snow. Was a nice day for a ride, about 1C and only a little rain. Looking forward to another 10 months of dodging cars and avoiding the door prize.
Old 02-21-04, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My schedule's stll a bit messed up so I only got one decent commute in last week. I've been focusing more on running than biking recently, using biking as secondary cross-training. I'll be reversing the focus before too long.

I was able to easily accomplsh a long "summertime" commute with a hill last week so I know I'm still A-OK for when I get serious about biking again.
Old 02-21-04, 06:23 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a freaking fabulous commute today! 55F/12.7C degrees, blue skies with some white streaks, and wind picking up in the mid afternoon. The only downside is that I had to come in to work I did a good 20m /32 k ride as my commute though which was really great. I went out to industrial park land to get a package from FedEx and then just explored around out there as I made my way back. I have to say that my Novara Safari is like an adult version of my single speed "BMX" style bike I rode as a kid. You can bomb around anywhere on the bike. I was going from gravel trail, road, dirt trail, off road across a field and more in my meanderings today and it was a real blast. I was sad to finally hit the MUP and head in to work. And at that I remembered why I avoid the MUP on sunny weekend days -- it was packed with walkers, rollerbladers and bad bikers. Quite a strong headwind as well. Still I was riding in shorts and fingerless gloves for this first time in 4 months. Best thing is that tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same, and I ain't working
Old 02-21-04, 11:40 PM

No commute today but I used up some of Saturday morning by riding about 10 miles south on the Chehalis Western trail. It was about 38F & a bit foggy but since it was early, there were only a few other bikers & the faithful few walkers out with their dogs. Later the fog burned off & we had a sunny day about 50F. Much better cycling weather but then again the trail was probably crowded with walkers, skaters etc. Don
Old 02-22-04, 12:00 AM
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wet, snowy and icy. Made for a fun ride. People at work think I'm nuts but sure beats the bus.
Old 02-23-04, 03:38 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold today, but bright and sunny. I had a lot of stuff to bring to work today, so the small backpack was stuffed to the gills. The scales at work read 6.7 kilos (a shade under 15 lbs)! It all provides extra excercise, especially up those hills..

Cheers,

Ed
Old 02-23-04, 09:32 AM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great commute, early spring like weather here in the twin towns (33F/.5C ). I know, we've got allot of winter left but it feels great. I went to a meeting last Friday and found out that I acquired three more offices to be responsible for and I have to work one day in each of them a week (two days in my primary office, 8 miles one way). Well, I look at it this way, more variety in my commute. Distances are from 3 miles to 18 miles one way. We'll see how it goes, it all starts next Monday (March 1st). Oh, and I have to start wearing a tie and jacket (I currently wear business casual). Opps, sorry for the long post I just had to tell someone, thanks.
Old 02-23-04, 07:28 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great day, sunny, dry, almost no ice on the roads and temps bouncing around freezing. Took my hybrid, yea! no studded tire noise! It felt good to climb the hills on her, those little wheels let me stay on the big ring for most of my climbs. Roll on spring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.