Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People don't respect bicycles. Ugh.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People don't respect bicycles. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 09:54 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5895 Post(s)
Liked 2,758 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Biked down to the beach, ......Came back an hour later to find this.....
Someone was clearly walking by with an umbrella or whatever and ran into my handlebars, gouging the tape.
Not excusing anybody, but your theory's probably off the mark. Most likely someone used the slot next to yours and gouged the tape with their brake lever or something similar in the process. IMO this isn't a big deal, just normal wear and tear in the real world.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-13-15, 09:54 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
maybe it was someone who disapproves of disc brakes on a road bike.
You might be right.
Old 07-13-15, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by isuckatbiking
Crazy to think that this is even outside the realms of professional athletes unless you're like the Lebron or Shaq (in the hay day) tier.

Man, thats just crazy.

But back on topic, sorry to hear about your bar tape bro.
Thanks, man. That's really all I was looking for, but people does get their panties twisted up, sometimes, don't they?

And in terms of money, these are the people that OWN the teams sports stars play on. These are the Wall Streeters, Private Equity people, Hedge Fund managers, Heads of the major banks, etc. These are the .000001%ers. It really is dizzying, (and a little nauseating, frankly.)
Old 07-13-15, 10:02 AM

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Csdhlhcky
How do you keep your bike safe? I've always figured cable locks were worthless, so I just prefer to never leave my bike outside my house/vehicle.
Yes.
Old 07-13-15, 10:03 AM
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
I can sympathise, OP. I once had a pedestrian on a crowded sidewalk step on my loose shoelace and it completely untied! And the guy just walked away! I mean, how selfish do you have to be???!!??

BTW... it's only $10 worth of bar tape. Buy a $20 pair of rolls of tape and only change one side of the bar. The brolly-bar-tape-slasher will find you and slash the other side soon enough!
Old 07-13-15, 10:06 AM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not excusing anybody, but your theory's probably off the mark. Most likely someone used the slot next to yours and gouged the tape with their brake lever or something similar in the process. IMO this isn't a big deal, just normal wear and tear in the real world.
Perhaps I didn't make clear that is was on the bike rack on the back of our car? 4' up and in the slot closest to the rear window. It could only have been done by someone walking by with stuff.

Look, I know it's normal wear and tear, but it would be different if it was something I did to cause it. I just wanted to come here and whine about it because someone else did it, and the first cut is the deepest and all that, and no one out there understands what bikes mean to us bike heads. Sigh.
Old 07-13-15, 10:14 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Perhaps I didn't make clear that is was on the bike rack on the back of our car? 4' up and in the slot closest to the rear window. It could only have been done by someone walking by with stuff.

Look, I know it's normal wear and tear, but it would be different if it was something I did to cause it. I just wanted to come here and whine about it because someone else did it, and the first cut is the deepest and all that, and no one out there understands what bikes mean to us bike heads. Sigh.
OK, the issue isn't exactly how it happened, stuff does. I agree that it was rude and unthinking not to leave a note, but let's face the fact that the actual damage was below radar, and I can understand where someone might equate this to a minor bumper ding when parking.

Stuff happens, and be happy (or lass sad) that it wasn't a paint scratch or something more permanent. In my circle, we'd now consider your bike to be Baptized, allowing you to enjoy it without worry about the 1st scratch. Once you get past that point every slight is smaller.

IMO- you can't properly enjoy a bike if you have to worry about it. Worry limits your options, keeps you from exploring interesting roads, keeps you off trains, buses and planes that can take you to interesting places, and if you ride in groups can make you a PIA at snack stops.

Fix the tape before it unravels, buy yourself a beer and celebrate your new found freedom from bike worry.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-13-15, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18509 Post(s)
Liked 15,822 Times in 7,431 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Chances are, whomever did this probably didn't even realize that they did - while lugging a bunch of beach supplies from the parking lot to the beach.
I hate to think what might happen if a motorist inadvertently kicks up a stone and causes a ding.
Old 07-13-15, 11:41 AM

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, some people can be jerks. Don't let it get you down. Heck, maybe it was an accident.

Just think, this gives you the opportunity to put on some new tape. There's nothing like the feel of fresh bar tape on your bike.

Plus this gives you the chance to pick a new tape color, if you want. I always thought red looks nice on a black bike.
Old 07-13-15, 12:36 PM

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't believe you left that bike on a bike rack unattended.
Old 07-13-15, 03:18 PM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I can't believe you left that bike on a bike rack unattended.
Already covered. Please see post #12 .
Old 07-13-15, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Already covered. Please see post #12 .
I live in a wealthy zip code. Lots of Bentleys are brand new Porsche 911's around here and I would never dream of leaving a $3500 bike on a bike rack with a cable lock. And not just because of the theft risk. Bar tape would be the least of my worries.
Old 07-13-15, 03:32 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my bikes don't leave my sight, ever.

op is to blame on this one.
Old 07-13-15, 04:43 PM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to install a Go Pro pointing out the back window so you can catch one of these "rich people" that you so despise so you can sue their asses to replace your damages. Of course, you'll be able to sue for pain and suffering since this caused you so much stress and probably lost wages. I hope you'll recover from this traumatic event.
Old 07-13-15, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by bt

Old 07-13-15, 06:05 PM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt

That's pretty limiting. But I will admit to using an older, much less expensive bike for rides where I know the bike will be locked up and out of my eyesight for more than a few minutes (My 36 year-old Trek 510 with old Sun-Tour friction gearing serves this purpose - for shorter rides, or less secure lockups, I might even use my Specialized Hardrock that I could certainly buy something comparable to replace it for $100 or so off CL. If I were to lose a bike that's only worth $200-300 like my Trek, or $100 like my Specialized Hardrock to a thief, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Also, older steel bikes they are much less of a theft magnet than my other newer bikes.
Old 07-13-15, 06:07 PM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
You need to install a Go Pro pointing out the back window so you can catch one of these "rich people" that you so despise so you can sue their asses to replace your damages. Of course, you'll be able to sue for pain and suffering since this caused you so much stress and probably lost wages. I hope you'll recover from this traumatic event.
Not a bad idea. And while I'm at it can I sue you for being unaccountably hostile, gratuitously insulting and generally being a walking talking rectum? Hmm?

FYI: I hardly despise these "rich people", never said I did, so I have no idea why you got your thong in a twist. Clearly you have some issues to unpack.
Old 07-13-15, 06:16 PM
Omphaloskeptic

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Old 07-13-15, 06:49 PM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a bad idea. And while I'm at it can I sue you for being unaccountably hostile, gratuitously insulting and generally being a walking talking rectum? Hmm?

FYI: I hardly despise these "rich people", never said I did, so I have no idea why you got your thong in a twist. Clearly you have some issues to unpack.
So now that's 3 different posters who replied to your thread whom you have deemed to be either rectums or anuses. When the majority of the people you are associating with seem to you to be major jerks, perhaps the one with the problem is you.
Old 07-13-15, 06:58 PM

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TankSlapper
thats the kind of note I would get.
Old 07-13-15, 07:21 PM
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People are different today than in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Life is cheap, and people are all about self. I live in a 55+ adults only community, and say many time these people are not like my grandparents. People I looked up to.

A lot of people own golf carts, or cars. According to the "LAW" they must be registered, and have a
State Issued License Plate. In the last year I am seeing more, and more golf carts/car with no license driving on the road ways. BTW it cost about $50.00/year to register a new golf cart/car. Older ones are very cheap to register.

Seniors are cheating the State out of what, and if they are in an accident their goose is cooked.
Old 07-13-15, 08:22 PM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
So now that's 3 different posters who replied to your thread whom you have deemed to be either rectums or anuses. When the majority of the people you are associating with seem to you to be major jerks, perhaps the one with the problem is you.
What I expected was "bummer, dude, people suck, be more careful next time." Instead I appear to have gotten an unaccountable number of people being gratuitously *******ish, strangely insulting and otherwise oddly hostile. No, the problem is not with me, the problem is the posters in question. There's no need to be so rude and hostile but, given this is the internet, I suppose it is to be expected--which does not, in fact, make it okay or excusable. I actually thought better of this community.

Dude, If YOU actually think that post #42 was called for, I'm afraid it's you who might need to, shall we say, reassess your rectal body composition?
Old 07-13-15, 08:23 PM

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nastystang
thats the kind of note I would get.
Even that would have been an acknowledgement that they had done something to my bike.
Old 07-13-15, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Feel bad for you mate. Some people are arses. Chin up and move on.
Old 07-13-15, 08:35 PM

What I expected was "bummer, dude, people suck, be more careful next time." Instead I appear to have gotten an unaccountable number of people being gratuitously *******ish, strangely insulting and otherwise oddly hostile. No, the problem is not with me, the problem is the posters in question. .....
I suspect that one reason you're not getting the sympathy you expect may be that (to an experienced cyclist) your OP seems a bit whinish (whiney?, is there a word for "seems like whining").

Yes, it's annoying to come back and find that someone damaged your bike. But it's handlebar tape, not exactly a catastrophe. Where I come from, if this were the worst thing that happened to you today, you had a good day. Compost happens, and you don't have to like it, but don't expect tons of sympathy from others for every minor bit of grief.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.