Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think you missed the sarcasm.

In answer: To point out something like hypocrisy.
Hipocrisy on an internet forum?

People are always throwing out opinions and they contradict those statements days, weeks, years, even hours later.

I mean we’re talking about bicycles. Nothing more. With only a very very few exceptions, every bike that every member has regardless on what it is or how it is set up will eventually be junk.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-15-21, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I think you missed the sarcasm.

In answer: To point out something like hypocrisy.
This
Old 11-15-21, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

People are always throwing out opinions and they contradict those statements days, weeks, years, even hours later.

I mean we’re talking about bicycles. Nothing more. With only a very very few exceptions, every bike that every member has regardless on what it is or how it is set up will eventually be junk.

John
I couldn’t agree more.
One thing I will point out though is the fact that all online forums get a bit skewed by the ‘forum buddy’ factor.
When certain members become so-called buddies of other members they will quite often let their judgement get clouded because of this and not always post in a forthright manner.
Same effect when posting in reply to someone they don’t like.
It’s astounding that on an online forum a certain % of members are incapable of simply replying based upon only the actual written words. They instead assume they know the poster so they will make up their own interpretation of the post
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-15-21, 12:45 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
I've been here a long time and have no one on ignore. Thick skin and the ability to just scroll on by seems to work.
Old 11-15-21, 01:00 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Use of ignore functions is something to properly mention in this topic.

However, aside from ignoring folks you find annoying, search results will appear in major search engines for BF topics regardless of that. Then you have outsiders or potential members clicking the result and coming to read it with the unfiltered non-ignored content.

Just something to consider as a reason to not lean too heavily on the "soft enforcement" strategies.

Due to some of the stuff mentioned in here, when I do have a question these days.........I tend to instead go to a forum with a bigger "barrier to entry". Be that only being open to locals you actually have met and actually see and ride with, or be it a more "niche" group of folks that will already have a more established and mature body of knowledge for the specific question.

Which is why to a larger extent I feel the specialized sub forums on BF are often where the more meaningful conversations happen.
Old 11-15-21, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,713 Times in 7,386 Posts

It was not opinions he was posting about. I cannot remember the details but they were definitely not opinions. Imagine someone in one thread stating that he has have never ridden more than 30 miles at one time and then in another thread giving a newb (bad) century advice based on the numerous centuries he claims to have ridden. It was something that ridiculous.

And don't get me started on the time I busted some local guy flat out lying on BF about a ride he claimed to have done after Superstorm Sandy, supplying a photo he pinched from the Interne as alleged proof. Took me all of about 3 min. to find the photo on line. I searched because I could tell from details of the photo that he could not have possibly taken it during a ride from/to his house. Turns out the photo was taken two states away. That was fun.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-15-21 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 01:19 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10472 Post(s)
Liked 11,983 Times in 6,134 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've been here a long time and have no one on ignore. Thick skin and the ability to just scroll on by seems to work.
Exactly. It's what the scroll wheel is for.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-15-21, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

It was not opinions he was posting about. I cannot remember the details but they were definitely not opinions. Imagine someone in one thread stating that he has have never ridden more than 30 miles at one time and then in another thread giving a newb (bad) century advice based on the numerous centuries he claims to have ridden. It was something that ridiculous.

And don't get me started on the time I busted some local guy flat out lying on BF about a ride he claimed to have done after Superstorm Sandy, supplying a photo he pinched from the Interne as alleged proof. Took me all of about 3 min. to find the photo on line. I searched because I could tell from details of the photo that he could not have possibly taken it during a ride from/to his house. Turns out the photo was taken two states away. That was fun.
I take no issue with calling out definite trolling. I’ve done it recently when a new poster who rides 50 miles opposing traffic with his $120 Walmart Kent and references disc brakes. I wasn’t warned, at least not yet as I stream a video of me breaking the law and bragging about it.

John
Old 11-15-21, 01:50 PM

I take no issue with calling out definite trolling. I’ve done it recently when a new poster who rides 50 miles opposing traffic with his $120 Walmart Kent and references disc brakes. I wasn’t warned, at least not yet as I stream a video of me breaking the law and bragging about it.
The photo puncher I mentioned was a legit guy. He was just prone to "puffery." He was due for a humbling BF experience. He first tried to backpedal by claiming he did not claim X, but I had already quoted the post where he had said X. Not long thereafter, the entire thread (which he had started) disappeared. I considered it a form a euthanasia. He hasn't been active here for a long time.
Old 11-15-21, 02:23 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,416 Times in 7,231 Posts
But Wait, There's More !!!

...if you call within the next 30 minutes, one of the operators standing by to take your call will include a glazed doughnut.*

*additional shipping and handling charges apply.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-15-21, 02:29 PM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
The photo puncher I mentioned was a legit guy. He was just prone to "puffery." He was due for a humbling BF experience. He first tried to backpedal by claiming he did not claim X, but I had already quoted the post where he had said X. Not long thereafter, the entire thread (which he had started) disappeared. I considered it a form a euthanasia. He hasn't been active here for a long time.
not interested in the who...but how do you kill off a thread?
Old 11-15-21, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by spelger
not interested in the who...but how do you kill off a thread?
As an everyday member, you cannot. Only a Mod/Admin can delete a thread.
Old 11-15-21, 02:39 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
It might be an interesting experiment to try out the idea of giving OP's the control to close their own thread(s).
Old 11-15-21, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...if you call within the next 30 minutes, one of the operators standing by to take your call will include a glazed doughnut.*

But can they lower my Medicare premiums and add money back to my Social Security check?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-21, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It might be an interesting experiment to try out the idea of giving OP's the control to close their own thread(s).
This is a standard feature of other forums, and should be implemented here.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-15-21, 03:06 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 940 Posts
Recently I saw a previous post I wrote years ago in a thread & thought to myself "What a jerk." While it may be true I was an unmitigated snarky sophmoric A in that particular post; The poster I was responding to latet created a long running 2 year-old thread & still ignores the same links supplying the same data supplied by other members as "proof" he was/is wrong &/or is being deliberatly ignorant & unwilling to learn going on 2+ years later, now...I chose not to reply to the OP's new, & current running (2 year old) thread thread further. Congitive bias is rarely solved with data. Maybe in a few years the still accurate data will be understood by that threads OP.

Other people often don't think in the same terms. Recently in another thread the discussion related to a one tooth difference from a 9 tooth cog to a 10, or from a 10 to an 11, etc...The poster could not be made to understand 1 tooth to the other is not the same percentage of change as from the other to the next. Getting that other member to understand this difference proved fruitless. That member just does not think of gearing in terms of percent change. His understanding, it seems is limited to just total range & number of choices. He cited the one & only example of a near equivalent. One which I had already allowed for as a special case. I let it be.

I have no understanding of how the "ignore" function works. I have never used it. I assume it works both ways. Is the offensive poster is blipped from forum existance from your perspective? Does that mean you are deleted from their existence as well? I ask because there are a number of posters I enjoyed reading that have disappeared. It could just be that posters I used to read & I have stopped crossing paths, but I have always had the nagging feeling the "ignore" function may be to blame.

In either case, I can't imagine a more snow-flakey response than to curate the world to only include thoughts, feeling, or opinions that you agree with.

With enough words, eventually everyone says something that is misunderstood or taken in the wrong light. The difference is whether they clarified the misunderstanding or learned something new.

I, for one am only too happy to be proven wrong. It means I have learned something. Most recently, a term I had heard all my life had a different meaning than I understood it to mean. Good.

A forums value is it's ability to be a resource for knowledge & experience. A charitable lens is often the way to better view the world.

Last edited by base2; 11-15-21 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 03:22 PM

Hi.
What is this thread about and where did the OP go after referring to fellow members as blowhards, trolls, and lonely people?
He certainly didn’t take the high road out
Old 11-15-21, 03:24 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,859 Times in 2,241 Posts
There’s an Ignore button????

Why would I cancel the cynics and whiners and contrarians and critics and experts on my cycling needs & choices & problems ? I sometimes enjoy their comments - a good laugh. I have never been offended by Internet comments.

Maybe my skin is too thick.

I think the operative words here should be: Self Restraint, by everyone on criticizing others on all matters.

But I totally agree Do Not Feed the Trolls. And grain-of-salt all those who feel compelled to comment on nearly everything. It was/is obviously important to them.
Old 11-15-21, 03:29 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3707 Post(s)
Liked 5,541 Times in 2,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I agree, might be a fair policy. The mods will generally close a thread when the OP asks but no guarantees. I was refused once. On the other hand, recently one of the 2020 troll crop had embarrassing bike pics removed from another member's post! Apparently he realized they were an impediment to his doomed struggle for BF credibility.
Old 11-15-21, 03:45 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

I thought that only worked for Bike Forooms P&R where it seems to be needed most. Or maybe the 41 too.
Old 11-15-21, 03:52 PM

...but how do you kill off a thread?
You can also post something so far out there even the die hards won’t touch it.

Unfortunately been there done that.

John
Old 11-15-21, 03:53 PM

I thought that only worked for Bike Forooms P&R where it seems to be needed most. Or maybe the 41 too.
...once I got some venture capital investment, my first action was to hire the best programming and analytics talent, to expand the algorithm.
We here at 3alarmco believe that customer service is the real basis of our business model, and would never provide anything except the most conscientious service.

The Ignoromatic is the waving thread of the future.
Old 11-15-21, 03:58 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I agree, might be a fair policy. The mods will generally close a thread when the OP asks but no guarantees. I was refused once. On the other hand, recently one of the 2020 troll crop had embarrassing bike pics removed from another member's post! Apparently he realized they were an impediment to his doomed struggle for BF credibility.
OTOH, taking this entire thread as an example, I doubt the OP would close this. At the same time the moderators let this continue, but the topic has nothing to do with General Cycling (though I guess you could argue that it qualifies because the topic "doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums..").
Old 11-15-21, 04:02 PM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I can't imagine a more snow-flakey response than to curate the world to only include thoughts, feeling, or opinions that you agree with.
i don't think that is the reason why most use the ignore feature (which i don't know how to use). pretty sure it has more to do with insults and the like.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-15-21, 04:10 PM

i don't think that is the reason why most use the ignore feature (which i don't know how to use). pretty sure it has more to do with insults and the like.

...I use it for the same reason George Mallory climbed Everest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.