Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What would happen if Wal-Mart decided

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What would happen if Wal-Mart decided

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
With sales comes service, and Walmart will never pay any employee enough to provide that level of quality service.
Old 11-15-16, 07:03 AM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I shop at Walmart ONLY as a last resort but that's beside the point. Walmart is a commodity provider. Cost margins are measured in very small increments and profits are realized by large volume sales. It's the volume sales that is their secret. Their buying power from their suppliers enables them to get a reduced cost on an item and you multiply that across all their products and it's been a recipe for success over the years. That's their business model.

Selling high-end bikes is a boutique not volume or commodity business. That doesn't really fit the Walmart model. Does that mean Walmart would never do it? No. "If" they found a way to turn high-end bikes into a commodity sales product by negotiating cost reductions to the point that they compete with rank-and-file bikes, then be VERY afraid. I just don't see them being able to do that....for now.

The key here is the service that is required with high-end bikes. I don't see Walmart investing in a bike service department that is qualified, competent and can turn-over the volume of repairs necessary to justify its existence. There to though, if they figure that out also, then, well, be very afraid. I just don't see it happening though.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 11-15-16 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-15-16, 07:15 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Cubs won the World Series, Donald Trump was elected president. It could happen.

Dan

W -- Go Cubs Go!
Sure and Mark Cavendish signs with the Walmart cycling team to compete in the tdf on a Cervelo P5X.
Old 11-15-16, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Cubs won the World Series, Donald Trump was elected president. It could happen.

Dan

W -- Go Cubs Go!
Those two examples involve some self determination. WM cannot make, say, Specialized sell them bikes. In fact, the model suggested by the OP runs counter to the strategy of higher end bike manufacturers, which is to market a quality brand, not something cheap, which is what WM is associated with.
Old 11-15-16, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. "Understand that there would be almost zero crossover between clienteles (no one buying a $3000 Trek is also looking for a cheap Chinese colander ... or even a pair of $5 Bell cycling gloves."

MY REPLY: This is true, though I myself am a bit of cross-over shopper. I bought a$800 "entry-level" (ie, 4-5x the cost of a wal-mart bike) road bike, and often buy accessories online...but have used walmart for things like: Floor-pump, bottle cages, blinky tail lights, etc...I'm especially happy with my $4 zefal bottle cages. Of course I'm not a 3k bike customer...for me, $800 was a total splurge.

2. "I've often wondered how hard it would be for them to build something akin to a no frills early 90's rigid mtb."

MY REPLY: This baffles me as well, but I assume it is easily explainable this way: The don't care about serving the custmomer, only about what sells and makes money...so a $175 full-suspension, disk-brake MTB looks much flashier and will sell more...even though it will not last as long, or likely ride as well as a rigid, simple bike. Whenever I advise people on walmart bikes, I urge them toward the simplest bikes they can find, either single-speed, or perhaps single-chain-ring, definitly no suspension.
Old 11-15-16, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
+1. Can't answer for the rest of my countryman or species, but there are some things in this world more important than bargains. Bizarre to me that more people don't see it for what it is.

The really funny part of that is that one of Sam Walton's early concepts was that people shouldn't be made to wait in line to give somebody their money
Old 11-15-16, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
2. "I've often wondered how hard it would be for them to build something akin to a no frills early 90's rigid mtb."
I don't think that building such a bike is the issue. MARKETING such a bike to sell in reasonable quantities might be.
Old 11-15-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
1. "Understand that there would be almost zero crossover between clienteles (no one buying a $3000 Trek is also looking for a cheap Chinese colander ... or even a pair of $5 Bell cycling gloves."

MY REPLY: This is true, though I myself am a bit of cross-over shopper. I bought a$800 "entry-level" (ie, 4-5x the cost of a wal-mart bike) road bike, and often buy accessories online...but have used walmart for things like: Floor-pump, bottle cages, blinky tail lights, etc...I'm especially happy with my $4 zefal bottle cages. Of course I'm not a 3k bike customer...for me, $800 was a total splurge. .
Well ... I wouldn't assume so much. Maybe my town is an anamoly, but the local WM is about 3/4 mile from the upscale mall with Nieman Marcus, S5th Ave. Nordstrom and Macy's as anchors - and there is a lot of overlap in the customer base. I see many people I know there shopping who are significantly wealthier than I am, and I''m comfortably middle class. I''m a pretty regular customer there - maybe I''m your "almost zero" - but I've got 4 bikes that listed at $8000 or over, and a $200 Wal-Mart bike. I shop at WM for certain things pretty regularly - some groceries and cleaning products, some things are decent bargains there - and some things I just like, including some of their athletic clothing. There are pros and cons to a lot of things in life. WM has both.
Old 11-15-16, 08:34 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Walmart already sells ultra high-end products on their website. They have made a move toward more organic foods and sell some pretty high end personal grooming products. These are just examples. The Walmart Neighborhood Grocery stores are very nice places to shop.

Keep in mind that Walmart is a multinational corporation and owns assets all over the world. They are also in partnership with many companies which sell high end products. The typical Walmart Super Center is only part of their business. It isn't likely that they will be selling Cervelo S5's at the local Walmart store but it isn't inconceivable that they would sell high end sports gear through a different outlet.

Either way, manufacturers would do what running shoe manufacturers already do. They ship some models to the big box store and other models exclusively to small botique running stores. You can't try on a New Balance 788 at the local running store and then buy it $20 cheaper at the Sports Authority down the road because the Sports Authority won't stock it.

-Tim-
Old 11-15-16, 09:18 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You know what might happen is that people might stop balking at the price of shop quality bikes, especially first time buyers. It is a daily occurance (well, almost) at a shop for someone to come in and look at bikes and make some comment they could get their whole family on bikes from Wal Mart for the price of 1 nice hybrid.
Wally World would have to sell close to what shops sell for, it's not like there is much of a profit margin on bikes anyway.

In the end, I don't think they would sell, their target buyers don't want to spend $4-500 on a bike, or they would be at their LBS instead.

That's not to say you couldn't get a nice one from their website in the future. Phil Wood hubs have made an appearance by 3rd party sellers.
Old 11-15-16, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No merchants want to put quality name-brand merchandise into a Wal-mart ... most of the customer base wouldn't appreciate it (or would be smart enough to see that the name was half the value, and go buy nearly equivalent Wal-mart stuff) and the association would cheapen the brand (Diamondback and Schwinn have both lost some luster after deciding to market lower-quality bikes in Wal-mart ... . the prestige of Diamondback in particular has fallen tremendously in the past 25 or so years.)
I can find quality name brand products in nearly every department of Walmart. I can buy Samsung TVs and Dell computers and iPhones there. I can buy Michelin tires there. I can buy Under Armour clothing there. I can buy Jack Daniels and Miller Lite and Coke there. I can buy all sorts of Remington and Winchester products in the Sporting Goods. I don't think the availability of those products there have any effect on people's opinion of the product.

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Can't add much that hasn't already been said, but IMO if Walmart were to do this, the best way would be to leverage their current manufacturing relationships and simply change the value level from "bottom" to "slightly above".
This is probably why they wouldn't. Unless guaranteed enough volume, no manufacturer is going to do this, and at the price point they'd still likely need, Wal-Mart is just going to source from someone else as they'd never sell that volume.

Originally Posted by NYMXer
With sales comes service, and Walmart will never pay any employee enough to provide that level of quality service.
I can't say I'm really in the know on bike shop wages, but the people that work at most of mine are frequently the same college kids working at Wal-Mart. Can't imagine the pay at a LBS (or really, most local shops) is THAT MUCH better than Wal-Mart.
Old 11-15-16, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I think at that point, *if they did*, the high end bike companies would need to make a stance, maybe set pricing or otherwise throw the LBS's that were supporting them under the bus. I get that the LBS provides a lot of other stuff/services but unprotected pricing through Walmart would kill them.
Don't see Walmart ever getting into serious bike repair any more than they currently do auto repair ie: oil changes, filters, tires and wiper blades, but don't think for a minute that bike manufacturers give a rat's @ss about the welfare of bike shops in comparison to financial bottom line.
Old 11-15-16, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
WalMart...? not a fan of their business model and basic contempt for anti-trust laws which have ruined many small businesses...

refuse to shop there, regardless of how low their prices are.
Old 11-15-16, 10:23 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Look at musical instruments, guitars. Fender and Gibson started producing a line for Best Buy Co. and others, then it seems they appeared to retreat ... and I assume they found it was damaging their brand value. But a few other makers doubled down, and Best Buy Co,. is aggressively going after what is thought to be a 8 billion dollar consumer industry. The bike industry is about the same size,...I wouldn't be surprised to find names like Jamis, Surly and KHS sold at Wal-Mart or Target, but not the brand leaders.

My friend bought a Schwinn bike at Wal-Mart. He pretended he bought it at a LBS because he knew I would scold him. The bias we have, other simply don't.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 11-15-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-15-16, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
To actually sell higher end bicycles,,,, what would happen to your LBS?,,,,,,,With competent builders,,,,,, just for General Discussion,,,,,,,
They would have to pay those people more than minimum wage, so it will never happen.
Old 11-15-16, 11:36 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Define "high end". At what price point do you no longer get bang for the buck, and start just buying a name.
Old 11-15-16, 11:40 AM

For a bike? $10.
Old 11-15-16, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've dealt with Wal Mart senior management for my off farm job. They make the most money on groceries plain and simple. Most of their decisions going forward is how to maximize grocery profitability as well as personal products. Everything else is secondary so no way would they add anything that is more than a one time transaction (i.e service after purchase). Adding something that requires service and knowledgeable staff is not ever going to be on their radar.

I never shopped at Wal Mart in the first place but after working with Wal Mart corporate on a project it only further solidified my hatred for the company.
Old 11-15-16, 12:31 PM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
They would have to pay those people more than minimum wage, so it will never happen.
Try $15/hr as of about a year ago. They cut other things at the time, and insurance sucks, but it is not min wage anymore.

I have no issue with people not liking Wal Mart, but much of the spew in this thread is just that, much of it already refuted. Wal Mart is not a warm fuzzy company, but what large company is? Knock them all you like, but make it reality. Like it or not, they (Wal Mart and other Chains) will expand into new markets, just as Home Depot, Lowes, and most every other chain does. IMHO, the poster above that said that bike shops are likely to become repair centers (i.e. small engine repair for mowers), probable has it right. You don't see TV shops like you did in the 70's anymore, stereo shops are rare, etc etc. Face it, people like to shop at home on their own time, with shoes kicked off, often in their jammies, and the frequently lower price just ices the deal. And if that doesn't cut it, then they like to shop in one place if possible, and that is where Lowes, Wal Mart, Best Buy and others come in. The word is efficient, and the big chains are nothing if not efficient.
Old 11-15-16, 12:38 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That is a terrible analogy. it in no way relates to or illustrates your point, which otherwise makes some sense.
Sorry you don't like my analogy. But I am pretty sure it predates even my fathers birth. So I can't take credit for it... even though I wish I could. It's a standard for explaining natural change.

The next question would be ... Why would Wal-Mart radically alter its normal business plan to sell very low-volume items which demand highly trained sales and maintenance staff?.
Typically... and from time-to-time in all businesses have to set aside their best business practices and build new ones. The businesses that refuse to do this... eventually fail.

Look at your example, though, with banks. Wal-Mart the Corporation bought some banks ... as a totally separate business from their retail stores. The proper analogy here would be Wal-mart opening a chain of small bike shops. (Which would actually make more sense.)
Have you ever even been in a Walmart? Do you know anything about Walmart or Sam Walton? Walmart has been incorporating new/additional businesses into their stores... since the beginning. Even the banks... are in their stores!

The marketplace (shops within the shop/store) format isn't that new. I would have guessed everyone would be familiar with the concept. Think "brand name mall". That IS the future of big box stores.... with the box getting even BIGGER.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 11-15-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Try $15/hr as of about a year ago.
For what position?
Old 11-15-16, 12:48 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by FullGas
WalMart...? not a fan of their business model and basic contempt for anti-trust laws which have ruined many small businesses...
Yean the Mafia used to burn down small businesses that didn't play ball. THAT ruined small businesses.

Walmart... like them or hate them is a competitor... period. Everything always changes! Even the bicycles are no longer locally made with steel tubes (at least for the most part). If you don't like the change you see going on today... just wait... the change will also change.

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

~ Sun Tzu
Old 11-15-16, 01:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What if they simply Hired someone who knew what they were doing when they put them together, .. and gave them enough Time , (it will take More )
To actually have them work properly, then gave each a test ride to double check They were in fact adequately functional ?
Old 11-15-16, 01:41 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
SuperWalmart has become just Walmart. It wasn't that long ago, at least up here in the north, that you went to Walmart for inexpensive clothes, H&B aids, and household products. You then went to the grocery store for food. Then came SuperWalmart which was the grocery side added. Now no one calls it SuperWalmart any more. It's again just Walmart.

Near me in Grove City, PA, the Walmart is still the old Walmart, no groceries. They have yet to build the SuperWalmart.

Things can and do change. The comment on markup being so low on bikes is with the LBS, not with the manufacturers. The manufacturers are the ones making a killing. It doesn't cost $1000+ to build a decent road bike. To have "good" bikes in Walmart, Walmart would simply demand the manufacturers to sell to them at a certain price point and thus Walmart would be able to sell the same thing the LBS sells for less money.

Either that or, the manufacturers would build to spec for Walmart just like every other company does. The Samsung TV at Walmart or Maytag refrigerator or piece of furniture at Sears is not the same Samsung, Maytag, or furniture that is sold in the "specialty shops" for more money.
Old 11-15-16, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob
What if they simply Hired someone who knew what they were doing when they put them together, .. and gave them enough Time , (it will take More )
To actually have them work properly, then gave each a test ride to double check They were in fact adequately functional ?
If I worked at the Walmart Corp Office in Arkansas....

I'd have a buyer set-up a deal with one or two of the best bicycle training centers in the country. Arrange say 4 training classes a year for Walmart employees only.

Then instead of only sending employees that needed bicycle mechanic training I'd send a training specialist or two as well. Then have the Corp training dept then hire a nationally (or even globally) known expert on bicycle repair. Together they would produce a Walmart bike repair shop operations manual.... along with a series of instructional videos.

Then... to re-coop the investment....... I'd create/print a few bicycle repair manuals/books (under a deal with the expert previously hired). I'd sell the books in the stores as well as use Walmart's political connections to make sure federal grant money that buys books for library's across America.... also buys/receives the books.

Besides making money.... it might even produce the best darn local bike repair shops... ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.