Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear rack extension?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rear rack extension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 09:13 PM
Count Dorkula

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
It looks like it has some kind of tab at the back. Can't you attach the light mount to that somehow?
Sure and I do when I'm not carrying my garment bag. The thing is that the garment bag extends out beyond the rear of the rack. It's not impossible to see the lights even with the rear of the rack covered by the bag but I'd like to mount them farther back so they clear it completely and are more visible.
Old 08-03-08, 12:20 AM

Bikes: not worth mentioning

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Oh here are pics of the new front rack and clamps
I love it!

It's not clear though to me how it connects to the front of the frame... Or does it just use both sides of the fork? And what are those silver bars called (connects basket to the fork). Can all those parts shown be gotten at any hardware store?
Old 08-03-08, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
ablang - About how it connects to the frame. I got luck and this model bike had an awesome bracket for the front reflector. It is attached to the whole big bolt that holds the front caliper on. It comes out then goes up and had 2 holes for the reflector. So I made a bracket kinda like a "U" out of thin steel which the basket sits in. I made a second "u" underneath with holes. That second "U" gets connected to the diagonals to the fork.

It's probably easier to just buy a small bag for the front handlebars, or even a handlebar basket. But I like building stuff. yesterday I bought a small cooler bag like for sandwiches and I got all my tools into it and it fits OK.I had to mount my pump on the frame though. I may not need the "basket" maybe only the platform for the basket. I still need to feild test it fully loaded, you know.

I'm thinking about mounting the reflector higher, like on the handlebars. Not sure if the reflector looks OK where it is ...
Old 08-03-08, 07:45 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tballx
PVC and Zip ties are probably what I will do though I also like the idea of simply bending a strip of steel to serve as a "hanger" of sorts. Either way, I guarantee I'll make it look amateur. Maybe it'll ghetto up my Kona JTS enough so that it will be less likely to be stolen!

Worked for me. This particular arrangement in for my Dinotte.

This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 08-03-08, 01:51 PM
Count Dorkula

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mission Accomplished. Man I guess I need a photography class but here is how it turned out.
Old 08-03-08, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
tballx - Wow! Dual exhausts! Love 'em! You are putting out some lumens! Pics were fine, what are you talking about?

dobber - I like that rear double bottle holder on your seat!

You folks using PVC for stuff is interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind. Electrical ties or zip-strips are wonderful, aren't they?

I changed my bearings and grease today WooHoo!