Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2017 Giant Toughroad Models

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2017 Giant Toughroad Models

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My new medium 2017 Giant SLR 2 Toughroad weighs 13 KG !

Does anyone have any idea where most of the weight is?
Old 02-11-17, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Perfect gravel bike. That's why I'm looking at it
A rigid MTB is cheaper than a gravel road bike. Only bike like the TR is the Marin Muirwoods. That's all you need for all-round riding.
Old 02-13-17, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
A rigid MTB is cheaper than a gravel road bike.
That's kinda what the TR is.

Only bike like the TR is the Marin Muirwoods. That's all you need for all-round riding.
Steel frame and fork. Not like the TR which has aluminum frame and carbon fork.
Old 06-08-17, 05:48 AM

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been shopping for a replacement for my Giant Escape for paved commuting and limestone trail rides. Test road a 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR2 at LBS last night and loved it even though it is the wrong size (M and I will need a L).

So I'm thinking about getting a 2017 TR and wondered if it's worth getting the SLR 1 for the better components and take off the front rack vs getting an SLR2 to which I can attach my Top Peak rack?

Last edited by zaxmalloy; 06-08-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 10:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
I've been shopping for a replacement for my Giant Escape for paved commuting and limestone trail rides. Test road a 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR2 at LBS last night and loved it even though it is the wrong size (M and I will need a L).

So I'm thinking about getting a 2017 TR and wondered if it's worth getting the SLR 1 for the better components and take off the front rack vs getting an SLR2 to which I can attach my Top Peak rack?
[IMG][/IMG]

That is exactly what I did. I wanted the upgraded components. Took all the racks off and completed the GX drivetrain with a GX crankset.
Old 06-08-17, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks really good. So I'm not crazy to thinking about this....
Old 07-10-17, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but...

I'm considering a TR for courier work around Liverpool UK. There are some quite steep hills and the road surfaces are pretty bad so a skinny hybrid wouldn't cope. I want something light, fast and comfortable for long days on the road. The TR seems like a good option but I'm not sure which model to go for. Any advice?

Feel free to tell me if you think this a bad choice altogether. My other options are Pinnacle and Planet X which I think are UK specific.
Old 07-13-17, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
if you have steep hills go with the triple chainrings - SLR2 - i've got the SLR2 and riding the steepest hills around my neighbour hood feels easy - you're just spinning. These hills are steep - require second gear on the car!

I would have blown my legs if i only had 2 chainrings like a road bike.
Old 07-15-17, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Orbea Orca BRV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving my 2017 Toughroad SLR2. It's rekindled my desire to ride. I threw on some Shimano Saints flats and it just beckons me to ride. It is such a production to get my road bike out. I can tackle most any terrain (in suburbia), but without the mountain bike street riding penalty.

I can just hop on it for quick trips to the gym or just extra fitness. I even installed a Topeak MTX rack and quick release bag for the shopping trips.
Old 07-16-17, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed my Toughroad for 2 weeks

After 2 weeks not riding my bike and just driving my car to work (tooth extracted), I rode again today. It felt so good.

I'll be back riding again to work tomorrow and I can't wait.

I deliberately chose SLR2 because of its frame colour scheme as I really like the fluorescent lime green highlights for commuting, it complements my other hi-vis gears. The Acera gears work well and havent had issues. I initially planned on swapping to either 1x11 or the 2x10 when I bought, my friendly bike store advised to use it up and change it maybe after a year. It's been 1 year and 3 months now, and the Acera still works perfectly after ~6,000kms commuting, excluding the odd weekend MTB rides on trails rides. I might wait for another half a year before I'll swap it.

I would really love to see more of the Toughroads and that this line will have more series to come.

Last edited by lestat; 07-16-17 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 02:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by lestat
After 2 weeks not riding my bike and just driving my car to work (tooth extracted), I rode again today. It felt so good.

I'll be back riding again to work tomorrow and I can't wait.

I deliberately chose SLR2 because of its frame colour scheme as I really like the fluorescent lime green highlights for commuting, it complements my other hi-vis gears. The Acera gears work well and havent had issues. I initially planned on swapping to either 1x11 or the 2x10 when I bought, my friendly bike store advised to use it up and change it maybe after a year. It's been 1 year and 3 months now, and the Acera still works perfectly after ~6,000kms commuting, excluding the odd weekend MTB rides on trails rides. I might wait for another half a year before I'll swap it.

I would really love to see more of the Toughroads and that this line will have more series to come.
This has pretty much been my story too, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade my gearing system yet, because it works pretty well as is.

I did change out my crank though for a Deore M590 with the same Chainring sizes and an included trouser protector on the crank, and it made a noticeable difference in extra stiffness and better climbing.

Have you changed out your chain yet?
Old 07-16-17, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
This has pretty much been my story too, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade my gearing system yet, because it works pretty well as is.

I did change out my crank though for a Deore M590 with the same Chainring sizes and an included trouser protector on the crank, and it made a noticeable difference in extra stiffness and better climbing.

Have you changed out your chain yet?
Hi Colonel Yes I have last May. But all my drivetrain is still stock. I'm planning to get a trouser protector as well so I can wear my office pants when I just need to ride within the CBD without changing clothes. Where did you get yours?

Cheers.
Old 07-16-17, 09:49 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by lestat
Hi Colonel Yes I have last May. But all my drivetrain is still stock. I'm planning to get a trouser protector as well so I can wear my office pants when I just need to ride within the CBD without changing clothes. Where did you get yours?

Cheers.
The new crankset came with the trouser protector and the crankset definitely gave me more performance for climbing.

I bought the crankset(Deore M591) from Rose Bikes and you need to keep in mind two things.

1. The sticker price you see includes a 19% VAT, which you don't pay if you don't live in Europe/UK
2. There is a flat delivery cost whether you buy one item or 20 items, so if you are going to buy this crank, consider buying some other items you also need or want. i.e. brake pads, grips, saddles, tubes, tyres, tools etc.
Old 10-10-17, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 1990 Fuji Absolute, 2001 GT Aggressor

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldman TR
I had the click sound coming from my seat post, it was a bad weld joint inside the post housing. I really enjoy this bike. I have used both 2016 and 2017. The new tires I have mix feeling about. They are slower, but they remove rocks and dirt better. I run the PSI a little higher it seems to work. I have change the handle bar grips to Ergon grip. I find with everything you just have to play around, but this is a good bike for the cost. The reason I have 2017 is because of warranty issue with the post housing and crease in the frame.
How did you get rid of the constant clicking noise from the seat post?

I just picked up a used Toughroad and that is the only thing that is keeping me from falling in love with the new ride.
Old 10-10-17, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sreuter13
How did you get rid of the constant clicking noise from the seat post?

I just picked up a used Toughroad and that is the only thing that is keeping me from falling in love with the new ride.
I lubed mine up with some carbon paste. Made the creaking go away.
Old 10-10-17, 04:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178
I lubed mine up with some carbon paste. Made the creaking go away.
Sweet, I will have to try that.

What number or length is your seat post set at? Mine is at ~13-17 so I was wondering if having it extended so far could cause issues.
Old 10-15-17, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a faulty joint inside the seat post housing, I took it back and I was having problems with seat post staying in correct spot for me. We took it apart and found slag from when they built the bike. I exchanged it for new 2017 which is good and bad, the parts had some changes but no more click.
Old 10-15-17, 05:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up taking it to REI (the only shop open when I get out of work) and they said I can either tighten up my saddle rails or buy an entire new seat post assembly.

Instead, I greased up the clamp, frame, rails, and seat post. This got rid of the clicking almost instantly. Not too impressed with the local REI shop.

REI - 0. Bike Forums - 1
Old 10-17-17, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Through axle conversion possible on the Toughroad or is the conversion dependent on wheels only?
Old 11-21-17, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inner tube and tyre Questions

Hi Folks,
I've bought a 2017 SLR1 and once the weather where I am gets a little better, I'm planning to take off the stock tyres and see what it rides like with larger, balloon types.
I've become a convert to using large volume tyres to cushion the ride (on poor tarmac), as opposed to relying on (usually crappy and heavy!) suspension.
I've found Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" and SuperMoto X in a 2.4" (only 650b) are great tyres, and I also like the Specialized Nimbus 2.3" ones they put on the Roll bikes. However I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible on the Toughroad, so I'm probably going to try the Schwalbe G-One Speed in a 29*2.35

Anybody tried this width and know if it will fit?

Also, will the inner tubes that come stock with the toughroad be ok going up to 2.35" ?

And lastly - anyone know the weight of the stock 2" sycamore tyres? I've looked everywhere but have failed to find this spec.

TIA
Old 11-21-17, 07:36 PM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GLJo
Hi Folks,
I've bought a 2017 SLR1 and once the weather where I am gets a little better, I'm planning to take off the stock tyres and see what it rides like with larger, balloon types.
I've become a convert to using large volume tyres to cushion the ride (on poor tarmac), as opposed to relying on (usually crappy and heavy!) suspension.
I've found Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" and SuperMoto X in a 2.4" (only 650b) are great tyres, and I also like the Specialized Nimbus 2.3" ones they put on the Roll bikes. However I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible on the Toughroad, so I'm probably going to try the Schwalbe G-One Speed in a 29*2.35

Anybody tried this width and know if it will fit?

Also, will the inner tubes that come stock with the toughroad be ok going up to 2.35" ?

And lastly - anyone know the weight of the stock 2" sycamore tyres? I've looked everywhere but have failed to find this spec.

TIA

I have the 2018 Toughroad SLR 2... and the tires are tubeless..

I plan on getting Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires
Old 11-23-17, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
I have the 2018 Toughroad SLR 2... and the tires are tubeless..

Yes, my dealer told me that the 2018 models were provided already tubeless from the factory. My understanding is that the 2017 models were not though.
Old 12-03-17, 09:35 PM

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Installed new wheels (Vuelta Corsa SLX)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVqoJ0cj2Es7FONL2
Old 12-04-17, 01:49 AM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Laurido92
Installed new wheels (Vuelta Corsa SLX)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nVqoJ0cj2Es7FONL2

Those wheels are really sharp.. What size are they and how much do wheels like that normally run?

It seems like the 2018 Toughroad SLR2 took a lot from the 2016 SLR1 and added more red..
These are couple shots of my 2018 SLR2

Old 12-04-17, 11:04 AM

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks juggy. They are Vuelta Corsa SLX Disc wheels. I got them on sale but they only run $249.00 for the set. They only 1660 grams which is fairly light for a disc whhel.
They are 23.8mm external width and 19mm internal.

Below is the link to the wheels.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...0052_597566_-1

I saw your bike and for a minute I thought it was the SLR 1. Very nice looking bike. What size is your frame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.