Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hi-Light Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 179 Posts
In case it's relevant I got an email from Litespeed announcing a 25% off sale on all orders, with added incentives on certain road bikes.

Happy shopping.
Old 04-19-24, 09:25 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Don't forget about resale

Another factor to consider is resale when/if you ever want to sell it down the road. A known brand - like Lynskey for example - will hold some value and likely fetch more than an unknown brand will.

OTOH, if you buy an unknown brand early on and that brand takes off, you’ll have yourself a collector's item you can cash in with

Good luck.
Old 04-19-24, 09:42 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,228 Times in 3,889 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Another factor to consider is resale when/if you ever want to sell it down the road. A known brand - like Lynskey for example - will hold some value and likely fetch more than an unknown brand will.

OTOH, if you buy an unknown brand early on and that brand takes off, you’ll have yourself a collector's item you can cash in with

Good luck.
He bought a Lynskey. See post #25
Old 04-19-24, 09:46 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,228 Times in 3,889 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
Now for some pedal and shoe suggestions for the bike.
What do you want from your shoes/pedals? Some people prefer flat pedals and flat-soled shoes that are easy to walk in. Others prefer clipless pedals and rigid-soled shoes for efficient power transfer. Others are somewhere between. Shoes are also a very personal preference where something that is great for me might be terrible for you.

Personally, I'm in the clipless pedal and stiff shoe camp. My gravel bike and MTB have Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals, and my shoes are Shimano XC902s. For me, and the way I ride, this is perfect.
Old 04-19-24, 09:51 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
He bought a Lynskey. See post #25
Yeah, saw that, thank you.

More of a general post since I just went through the same situation: buy a known entity's bike or an unknown's. I went with the known entity for this reason, among many others.

Cheers.
Likes For HMJ:
Old 05-06-24, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
The Lynskey frame arrived this past Wednesday and I brought it to the local shop Thursday. I will hopefully have it Wednesday or Thursday. I just hope my hand heals a little better so I can ride it. Leaving for our big trip in 3 weeks and want to do a lot of riding. I'll keep you updated, boomer
Likes For boomer58:
Old 05-07-24, 02:55 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
The Lynskey frame arrived this past Wednesday and I brought it to the local shop Thursday. I will hopefully have it Wednesday or Thursday. I just hope my hand heals a little better so I can ride it. Leaving for our big trip in 3 weeks and want to do a lot of riding. I'll keep you updated, boomer
Congrats on your Lynskey, you will love as I do mine.

Your trip is in 3 weeks? man, that's pushing it with your hand, and you won't have time to ride the bike to get use to it. Praying for your speedy recovery so you can do the trip without discomfort. Have fun on the trip.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-09-24, 09:47 AM
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 215 Posts
With modern Chinese bikes, the welds aren't problematic any more, as they are done by robots now.
The problem with Chinese bikes is that they will cut corners to lower cost wherever they think they can get away with it, and you often don't find out until later. Things like using a cheaper alloy that may or may not be good enough.
Component quality is one big one. Is the groupset name brand? If not, be suspicious.
How about the other details?
Old 05-09-24, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If you want a inexpensive Chinese made TI bike, your best bet might be Planet X and their Titus Roadrunner Sram Force 1 TI bike for $2,443. If that price is still a bit high, then go to the Pros Closet, they sell used TI bikes without the headaches that Ebay could give you.
I never quite understand the distrust of 'china' made. Would you prefer that a random US or European company buy a container load re-sticker them and add 1000 to the price? This company also make frames for larger companies and they offer the same warranty. These are NOT knock-off copy frames that don't have any QC checks.