Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What first?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
To start with, 8 miles for a new rider is not a short distance. For those of us who have been doing this a few years, 8 miles is barely a warm up. For me, cotton clothes, or basically anything that is not cycling specific doesn't work on the bike. Cotton t-shirts to jeans to cargo shorts to khaki pants, none of it works for me. I have this whole thing down now, and since I have been riding to work more and more, you figure out what works and what doesn't. No one here needs to be berated because they choose to wear something that was made for being on the dang bike. I mean seriously, is this guy for real? It is no more of a costume than wearing a suit to a wedding. You wear what is appropriate for the situation.
Old 05-23-16, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
It works well for a lot of people. Dressing up in a cycling costume is just silly for such a short ride.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Twice you've referred to bicycle specific clothing items as costume clothing. You realize that your word choice is provocative, I'm assuming. Is that how you discuss things among strangers?
Well said @Phil_gretz, ”Mr. Bike Commuter in training.” For me, I ride primarily for fitness, and nearly all my cycling is for the commute. During the nice weather I expand my usual routes, even as a long ride on a Saturday to work at my convenience for a few hours. In fact I am currently engaged in a three-month long Activity Challenge at work, through June. So I’m a bit provoked by the characterization of me as a ”recreational commuter.”

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
You're right, there are utility commuters, and there are recreational commuters. In the US, the latter group is disproportionately large compared to countries in which typical people typically ride bikes. For such recreational commuters, who just use their commute as an excuse to get in a bike ride, some cleanup after their ride is probably a good idea, since they exert far more effort than necessary to get into work.

I personally have no desire to ride a bike conducive to riding fast in the middle of a summer day. Riding fast on a hot summer day is miserable. In my experience, it's much more enjoyable to ride slowly, on a bike designed to be comfortable as it's ridden. I save riding fast for late nights in the summer, and fast day rides for late fall through early spring, when I can ride as fast as I want without getting sweaty
Some of us "recreational commuters (in training)" have to ride as determined by the work day, and other considerations.

A bit off topic, a few years ago I bookmarked this post about silly costumes for exercise, in the context of the American outlook of cyclists.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've found that most Americans think of bikes in three ways: children's toys, exotic toys for fitness fanatics and transportation of last resort for the impoverished and disadvantaged. It's socially acceptable for an adult to dress up like a circus acrobat with friends once a week, run around in circles as quickly as possible with no other purpose or destination, but to ride a bike somewhere for a purpose implies some sort of need and is looked upon as an act of desperation.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It took me a couple of readings to figure out that the adults who dress up like circus acrobats and run around in circles are joggers.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-23-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-16, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Some of you guys are really paranoid about flat tires. I would much rather ride on lighter tires that provide a nice compliant ride and climb well than boat-anchers that feel like you're riding on cement and slow you down! My commuting route is very hilly and you pay the price for riding on extremely flat-resistant tires on every climb. That said, my tires are reasonably flat resistant, and I only get about one flat per year while commuting. It takes about 5 minutes to fix a flat. Big deal. I would lose that much time on every commute riding on crappy tires.

My advice is to learn how to fix a flat and always carry a spare tube, pump and other tire-repair gear. Anyone who says you don't need to carry tire-repair gear if you are riding Schwalb Marathons or some other flat-resistant tire is a dreamer. You can get a flat on the most bomb-proof tires under the right circumstances. I've gotten flats on very durable tires during the first few rides after installing them and then never got another one. I've got a set of very light weight, nice handling Torelli tires on my De Bernardi racing bike that have never flatted in probably 2,000 miles of use.

Your priorities for accumulating gear will likely be dictated by your greatest needs. Personally, I think a large seatbag, racktop bag or panniers would be one of the top priorities because you need something to carry your gear in while commuting. Fenders, although nice to have, are not a necessity. Lights are a necessity, IMHO, but you've already got that covered.
Old 05-23-16, 07:52 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Some of you guys are really paranoid about flat tires. I would much rather ride on lighter tires that provide a nice compliant ride and climb well than boat-anchers that feel like you're riding on cement and slow you down! My commuting route is very hilly and you pay the price for riding on extremely flat-resistant tires on every climb. That said, my tires are reasonably flat resistant, and I only get about one flat per year while commuting. It takes about 5 minutes to fix a flat. Big deal. I would lose that much time on every commute riding on crappy tires.

My advice is to learn how to fix a flat and always carry a spare tube, pump and other tire-repair gear. Anyone who says you don't need to carry tire-repair gear if you are riding Schwalb Marathons or some other flat-resistant tire is a dreamer. You can get a flat on the most bomb-proof tires under the right circumstances. I've gotten flats on very durable tires during the first few rides after installing them and then never got another one. I've got a set of very light weight, nice handling Torelli tires on my De Bernardi racing bike that have never flatted in probably 2,000 miles of use.

Your priorities for accumulating gear will likely be dictated by your greatest needs. Personally, I think a large seatbag, racktop bag or panniers would be one of the top priorities because you need something to carry your gear in while commuting. Fenders, although nice to have, are not a necessity. Lights are a necessity, IMHO, but you've already got that covered.
I argue that I cycle to exercise and a tiny bit of extra rolling resistance is negligible compared to my wind resistance. In addition, I would argue that getting a flat, while not a hassle, is a significant inconvenience for a bike only person, like me. It means that I have to get dirty/greasy which isn't so nice when I'm on my way somewhere.
Old 05-23-16, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'll go in a slightly different direction than what's been said here so far. I'm not sure if you one already, perhaps for another bike, but get a nice floor pump. A lot of flats can be mitigated by running the right pressure. Personally, I don't bother with Schwalbe anything. There is a premium price tag attached to Schwalbe tires. I prefer Panaracers myself on my commuter. My tires have been holding up quite well, and only 1 flat that didn't go through the puncture guard all the way - meaning I didn't even know I had a puncture until the next day and was able to fix it in my garage instead of roadside. I would wager really any tire that advertises puncture resistance is more than enough. Panaracer Paselas are great, especially if you get the Schwinn and it has 27" wheels.

So, the first things you should get are a floor pump, a way to fix a flat on the road, and a quality lock. After that, ride a lot and you'll figure out what else you want/need. If getting a used bike, just be aware that you might very well need to service your bottom bracket, headset, and hubs. I recommend going to a bike co op or collective if you have one nearby, as maintenance will be a lot less and that sort of thing can be done on a weekend afternoon, instead of maybe a 2 week wait at a bike shop.
Old 05-23-16, 10:33 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I'll go in a slightly different direction than what's been said here so far. I'm not sure if you one already, perhaps for another bike, but get a nice floor pump. A lot of flats can be mitigated by running the right pressure. Personally, I don't bother with Schwalbe anything. There is a premium price tag attached to Schwalbe tires. I prefer Panaracers myself on my commuter. My tires have been holding up quite well, and only 1 flat that didn't go through the puncture guard all the way - meaning I didn't even know I had a puncture until the next day and was able to fix it in my garage instead of roadside. I would wager really any tire that advertises puncture resistance is more than enough. Panaracer Paselas are great, especially if you get the Schwinn and it has 27" wheels.

So, the first things you should get are a floor pump, a way to fix a flat on the road, and a quality lock. After that, ride a lot and you'll figure out what else you want/need. If getting a used bike, just be aware that you might very well need to service your bottom bracket, headset, and hubs. I recommend going to a bike co op or collective if you have one nearby, as maintenance will be a lot less and that sort of thing can be done on a weekend afternoon, instead of maybe a 2 week wait at a bike shop.
When commuting, I run 120 PSi on 28 mm Gatorskins. They may have a bit of rolling resistance compared to 23mm racing slicks, but like someone above said, "So what?" I never get flats.

I throw the racers on when I plan to ride a century on clean pavement. I throw the puncture resistant Gators on when I roll into the crap experienced during my commutes.
Old 05-23-16, 11:16 AM

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Sure. Lots of people have a short commute. For those instances, clothes may not be an issue. But, the OP specifically pointed out he lives in TN, and has hills during his 8 mile ride. I doubt he can do that without working up a sweat.
And I pointed out that, being very familiar with the climate, it is quite possible to rise eight miles without ending up drenched in sweat. A bicycle ride need not be a high exertion workout.
Old 05-23-16, 11:28 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
Originally Posted by Th3Pr1de
Wow. Thank you everyone for all of the information. Unfortunately the Schwinn feel through today, hoping to go see it Thursday or maybe another bike before then.
I really appreciate all of the advice, I like the idea of waiting to buy a lot of stuff and then buying what I need. I will just use a backpack for storage when I get started. Just hoping I can pick up a decent soon!
Tell us your city! Some of us enjoy hunting and telling you what we'd buy with your money
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-23-16, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Besides the bike, a pair of Schwalbe Marathon plus tires, bike lock, tire repair kit and rear rack. As for bags, you can just bungy cord any small bag you find suitable and may already own.
Old 05-23-16, 11:39 AM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 924 Posts
Throwing in my two pennies, for what they're worth. I have a nice, flat 7.5 mile commute in a high humidity area, and I wear my bicycling clothes (cobbled together from Target's active wear dept.). I tried riding in jeans once, and while they were surprisingly comfortable, I had damp jeans when I got to work, and soggy undies, so back to bike clothes. As others have said, sweat doesn't smell, but it does get crusty, so when I'm changing in the bathroom, I just wipe down with a wet rag or paper towels, and use the deodorant I keep at work. No big deal.

I do use fenders, not for mud, but road debris. My route is mostly state highway, and there is gravel and glass everywhere. I used the tires that came with my shiny new Giant hybrid, until the third commute, when I got a flat. Bought some Specialized Hemisphere Armadillos on sale, and haven't had any problems since.

That said, ride your own ride. Find what works for you, and go with it. If you can stick it out that first week, it'll get easier.
Old 05-23-16, 11:42 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
...It takes about 5 minutes to fix a flat. Big deal. I would lose that much time on every commute riding on crappy tires.

My advice is to learn how to fix a flat and always carry a spare tube, pump and other tire-repair gear. Anyone who says you don't need to carry tire-repair gear if you are riding Schwalb Marathons or some other flat-resistant tire is a dreamer. You can get a flat on the most bomb-proof tires under the right circumstances...
So, I agree somewhat, but not completely with @tarwheel. He'll freely admit (I'm guessing) that fixing a flat can be more of a chore in the pouring rain, in the dark, or when temperatures are well below freezing. Once your dexterity is shot, or you're shivering, or you can't see very well, the task becomes worse.

In fine weather and daylight, go for the light fast bike. In the freezing slush, go for the reliable, sure footed, flatproof wheel. My two cents.
Old 05-23-16, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
So, I agree somewhat, but not completely with @tarwheel. He'll freely admit (I'm guessing) that fixing a flat can be more of a chore in the pouring rain, in the dark, or when temperatures are well below freezing. Once your dexterity is shot, or you're shivering, or you can't see very well, the task becomes worse.

In fine weather and daylight, go for the light fast bike. In the freezing slush, go for the reliable, sure footed, flatproof wheel. My two cents.
Or when there's a swarm of mosquito's around you. Don't ask how I know....
Old 05-23-16, 12:32 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Or when there's a swarm of mosquito's around you. Don't ask how I know....
That's called "sprinting".
Old 05-23-16, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Tell us your city! Some of us enjoy hunting and telling you what we'd buy with your money
Hey Darth, that would be great! I live in Crossville, TN but don't mind a drive if needed. I'm only in about the $50-70 price range. I'm currently leaning toward the Peugeot here: Vintage Schwinn and Peugeot Road Bikes What do you think?
Old 05-23-16, 01:36 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First off you need to know what size bike you need. I would probably pass on the Peugeot. Unless you know what you are getting yourself into with a French bike (different/non standard sizes, Simplex derailleurs where the clamps are plastic, hard to find parts due to french threading), what looks like a good deal could really end up being a flop. If you don't mind those, then go for it! Reference the C&V subforum and Sheldon Brown (might want to give his French Bike section a read before you make the trip).
Old 05-23-16, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off you need to know what size bike you need. I would probably pass on the Peugeot. Unless you know what you are getting yourself into with a French bike (different/non standard sizes, Simplex derailleurs where the clamps are plastic, hard to find parts due to french threading), what looks like a good deal could really end up being a flop. If you don't mind those, then go for it! Reference the C&V subforum and Sheldon Brown (might want to give his French Bike section a read before you make the trip).
Yeah, good call there. I didn't think about the lack of parts that would fit it.

What do you guys think about this: Schwinn Prelude Road Bike 12 Speed It appears to be a 80's era Prelude, (I've read a lot of people don't like the newer ones that are in big box stores but this one looked pretty good. Plus the price is great!) What do you think?
Old 05-23-16, 01:48 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Hey Darth, that would be great! I live in Crossville, TN but don't mind a drive if needed. I'm only in about the $50-70 price range. I'm currently leaning toward the Peugeot here: Vintage Schwinn and Peugeot Road Bikes What do you think?
There are a ton of threads for this sort of thing in the Classic and Vintage: What's It Worth? subforum

Since that's a ways from you, I presume Nashville & Knoxville ok? Brand preference? Definitely want a road bike? Those are a large and XL, are you pretty tall?

80's lotus excell road bike
Fuji road bike .
1980's Fuji Monterey Men's Road Bike 10 Speed
Vintage Fuji Monterey Touring Bike
Trek 1000 aluminum bike

I've skipped a bunch that are medium or smaller, including an amazing deal on a Schwinn Prelude.
Old 05-23-16, 01:50 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had a Prelude and absolutely loved it. For $30, I would pick it up without even thinking about it. How tall are you? This is a vastly different size than the other bikes you linked to. It's a VERY small bike.
Old 05-23-16, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look great, thanks! I'm like the Lotus but not really familiar with them.

I'm actually about 5'9 so the medium size bikes would probably be perfect for me.

I seen the Prelude and am talking to the guy about it right now, do you think it would be a pretty good bike?
Old 05-23-16, 01:58 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Those look great, thanks! I'm like the Lotus but not really familiar with them.

I'm actually about 5'9 so the medium size bikes would probably be perfect for me.

I seen the Prelude and am talking to the guy about it right now, do you think it would be a pretty good bike?
Prob too small! It's dinky. You should probably be looking for 22 inch, or 55-56cm-ish sizes. I'm also 5-9 and my two curly-handlebar bikes are 23" and 58 cm, and both maybe somewhat too big.

So ignore the list I sent you and maybe I'll have time later to click around some more if someone else doesn't first.
Old 05-23-16, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Prelude and absolutely loved it. For $30, I would pick it up without even thinking about it. How tall are you? This is a vastly different size than the other bikes you linked to. It's a VERY small bike.
I'm kind of short at about 5'9. A small bike would probably fit me, you think? I'm not familiar with the sizing, I'm guessing that's something I should definitely consider.
Old 05-23-16, 01:59 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Prelude is an awesome bike. That frame is way too small for you, however, if you didn't care of have to use drop bars, you could change it out with some mountain bike/riser bars instead and it would work for now (though don't get rid of the other bits!). I don't see you keeping it long term just because of it's size. Personally, I'd keep looking unless you want to buy it and try to flip it to increase your budget.

I know we have told you just to get the bare minimum to figure out what exactly you will want, but look for a bike that has the ability to mount fenders and a rack. There should be plenty that would fit the bill for <$100 with enough searching. Also, look around for a Bike Co Op. Usually you can find exactly what you need and almost always at a price you can afford and it will be completely tuned up and ready to ride. At least ours will work with someone on a price if they can't afford much, or give them a bike for free if they really can't afford to pay.
Old 05-23-16, 02:19 PM
Disco Infiltrator

1987 Nishiki Prestige Road Bike <- looks good to me!
Old 05-23-16, 02:26 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by flyerguy
Exactly. Everyone's different. Different strokes for different folks.

I would hate for the OP to get discouraged because he tried his 8-mile commute in work clothes and it didn't work for him. If changing clothes is what gets him on his bike, we all win.
All true. At the same time, it would be sad that OP got discouraged from commuting because he thought changing was the only option and it proved to be too much hassle. Just advocating for a balanced picture.

Last edited by chephy; 05-23-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
1987 Nishiki Prestige Road Bike <- looks good to me!
I really liked that one, I talked with the guy and he has someone coming to look at it this week. He's supposed to get back with me if it doesn't sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.