Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do cyclists use bike lights at night in your area?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do cyclists use bike lights at night in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Commuters usually do. Kids out after dark, riding on sidewalks without a (legally required for those under 16) helmet probably don't. Ontario recently introduced some serious fines (~$500, I believe) for riding after dusk without lights though I've never heard of it being enforced.
Old 07-16-16, 05:03 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
They are different issues. But are related to a larger issue called "why aren't their more people of color advocating for bikes."
The "larger issue" is not the issue of this thread, but certainly would be an appropriate issue for a new thread on this list.
Old 07-17-16, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
A friend who's a recovering addict used to buy from "Dominicans on bikes". I'm aware that there are probably more Dominicans on bikes who DON'T deal drugs than those who do, but it still crosses my mind whenever I see someone matching that description, especially in the inner city.
I should point out that this friend bought drugs from people all across the spectrum. The Dominicans weren't remarkable for being drug dealers, but for delivering the goods by bike.
Old 07-19-16, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thread, guys! Thank you for all your responses! Wow! I guess it IS true that "everywhere else in the nation, [at least half of] everyone has lights on at night"!

As others have mentioned about their area, generally, the only people you'll see using lights in NoVA are the "working professional" commuters who have high-level office/government jobs and want to get home safely to their spouse and kids.

The immigrants who have no other transit option generally don't, though once in a blue moon, I'll see a good one with lights (yeah, yeah, I know, you can't tell immigrants and non-immigrants apart just by looking at them...I just assume given the demographics of the area).

Teenagers who don't know any better also don't.

I can't wait to get out of NoVA! Nothing but people from all over (all 50 states and the world) who have brought their OWN rules, laws and habits with them, and the police do nothing to enforce it. It's becoming a horrible place to live (unless you have kids, then Fairfax County is supposedly one of the best school districts in the nation...there are indeed tons of "soccer moms" here too). I thought San Antonio, TX and Albuquerque, NM were "dumps" to live in, but NoVA is becoming just as "bad" as those places, and not just because of the bike light issue.

The day that I drive and see the highway sign, "Now Leaving Virginia," it'll be the happiest day I will have had in a long time.
Old 07-20-16, 11:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by RadfahrDavid281
I can't wait to get out of NoVA! Nothing but people from all over (all 50 states and the world) who have brought their OWN rules, laws and habits with them, and the police do nothing to enforce it. It's becoming a horrible place to live (unless you have kids, then Fairfax County is supposedly one of the best school districts in the nation...there are indeed tons of "soccer moms" here too). I thought San Antonio, TX and Albuquerque, NM were "dumps" to live in, but NoVA is becoming just as "bad" as those places, and not just because of the bike light issue.

The day that I drive and see the highway sign, "Now Leaving Virginia," it'll be the happiest day I will have had in a long time.
Have you ever lived anywhere that met your oh-so-special cultural/legal/sanity requirements?
Old 07-21-16, 12:36 PM

Bikes: OPUS Dual Sport 2.0 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course.
Old 07-21-16, 12:51 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by RadfahrDavid281
...I can't wait to get out of NoVA! Nothing but people from all over (all 50 states and the world) who have brought their OWN rules, laws and habits with them, and the police do nothing to enforce it. It's becoming a horrible place to live...
I feel ya. After bike touring all over the USA and Canada, VA and WVA along with KY were pretty bad except for a few bright spots (Charlottesville for instance). There are some beautiful areas in those states for sure, but I wouldn't want to have to live there. Unfortunately, the places where I would like to live wouldn't have me (aka...I can't afford to live in those places).

Maybe try New Orleans? We don't "bring our own rules". There are no rules. Some find that appealing.
Old 08-14-16, 11:50 PM
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People dont even wear helmets around here, let alone lights.
Old 08-15-16, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5226 Post(s)
Liked 3,591 Times in 2,346 Posts
w/o a lite I wouldn't be able to see the cr*p in the rd. this is from this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8-15-16.jpg (90.8 KB, 16 views)