Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Synchronize GPS and cyclocomputer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Synchronize GPS and cyclocomputer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Distance traveled is an ever elusive, and, perhaps illusive, quantity.
Ride through a puddle in a dry parking lot and make a few turns. You will notice that the rear wheel track cuts inside the front wheel, so it travelled a shorter distance. Which one was the true distance?
As yo travel down the road, the front wheel makes constant, small excursions left and right, thus it travels farther than the rear wheel.
If you calibrate your 'puter to agree with your GPS it will be measuring a shorter distance than it actually rolls.
If you are following a RWGPS route you, or someone planned out, the straight lines between points may underestimate the distance rolled by the bike.
Now, for a little icing on this cupcake, let your tires' radii change subtly with temperature, inflation, and load.
Have fun
Likes For Pratt:
Old 10-22-19, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Distance traveled is an ever elusive, and, perhaps illusive, quantity.
Ride through a puddle in a dry parking lot and make a few turns. You will notice that the rear wheel track cuts inside the front wheel, so it travelled a shorter distance. Which one was the true distance?
As yo travel down the road, the front wheel makes constant, small excursions left and right, thus it travels farther than the rear wheel.
If you calibrate your 'puter to agree with your GPS it will be measuring a shorter distance than it actually rolls.
If you are following a RWGPS route you, or someone planned out, the straight lines between points may underestimate the distance rolled by the bike.
Now, for a little icing on this cupcake, let your tires' radii change subtly with temperature, inflation, and load.
Have fun
Wow! I thought I was a detail nerd!
Old 10-22-19, 08:24 PM

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
That's not true. GPS mesaures the exact 3D trajectory ...
Neat trick with quantum fluctuation and all.
Old 10-22-19, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Neat trick with quantum fluctuation and all.
A rather uninspired trick with "creative" snipping and taking words out of context. Now the full quote: "GPS measures the exact 3D trajectory to the best of its ability."

Last edited by AndreyT; 10-22-19 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-22-19, 08:33 PM

A rather uninspired trick with taking words out of context. Now the full quote: "GPS mesaures the exact 3D trajectory to the best of its ability."
That's like saying that I hit the bulls-eye every time I throw a dart (to the best of my ability), even when it hits the floor. Clue: there's nothing exact about distance calculated from GPS PVT data.
Old 10-23-19, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
That's like saying that I hit the bulls-eye every time I throw a dart (to the best of my ability), even when it hits the floor.
It is like saying that there can't be anything exact in this world at all.

My point is very simple: the a GPS device uses satellite signal to calculate a 3D position fix. And this 3D position fix is exactly what the device is using to determine speed and distance traveled. Contrary to the claims made by some previous posters, the GPS device do not make any attempts to project that 3D position onto some model of the Earth's surface.

Clue: there's nothing exact about distance calculated from GPS PVT data.
Absolutely wrong. Unless a GPS device is deliberately sabotaged, it obeys the typical statistical laws of normal distribution. Simply speaking averaging the results of N measurements increases the precision sqrt(N) times. A position fix can be made arbitrarily precise by averaging a sufficient number of discrete position polls. Measurements that inherently involve a large number of position polls, like distance or speed, are very precise out of the box for that very reason.
Old 10-23-19, 02:04 PM

It is like saying that there can't be anything exact in this world at all.

My point is very simple: the a GPS device uses satellite signal to calculate a 3D position fix. And this 3D position fix is exactly what the device is using to determine speed and distance traveled. Contrary to the claims made by some previous posters, the GPS device do not make any attempts to project that 3D position onto some model of the Earth's surface.

Absolutely wrong. Unless a GPS device is deliberately sabotaged, it obeys the typical statistical laws of normal distribution. Simply speaking averaging the results of N measurements increases the precision sqrt(N) times. A position fix can be made arbitrarily precise by averaging a sufficient number of discrete position polls. Measurements that inherently involve a large number of position polls, like distance or speed, are very precise out of the box for that very reason.
Jive aside, there is no such thing as "exact" position, distance, or any other measured quantity in spacetime and GPS brings in many dozens of errors. When you use the word "exact" in this context you only remove all meaning.