Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Boiling Brakes and Other Components

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Boiling Brakes and Other Components

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 06:13 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly new to this, but I used an ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and a little liquid dishwasher detergent. It worked like a charm. For items too big for the ultrasonic cleaner, a good cleaner (a nondescript product I bought at the 99-cent store) and brushes to suit worked well. I tried to minimize contact between caustic cleaners and aluminum, but sometimes it was unavoidable. When nothing else worked, I used whatever was necessary, but rinsed it off quickly and thoroughly. I've done a few bikes now, and a lot of it is technique and not chemicals. Practice makes perfect.
Old 01-29-13, 06:31 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Wow, I guess there are a lot of "showroom clean" folks out there. For me as long as a part is functional and not grimy it's fine. I've never seen the need for more than solvent and a brush, perhaps some compressed air. Is there some component of which I'm not aware that requires ultrasonic cleaning in order to perform it's function?

I know chains are a favorite topic for involved cleaning and lubrication protocols, but for me if a cleaning procedure takes more than 5-10 minutes of active involvement I'd rather ride.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 01-29-13 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, hot water works better, but nobody uses boiling water. Industrial washers run a bit hotter than typical home tap water, closer to 150°F or so, but still well short of boiling.
So what's wrong with the water if it's boiling? 212 is still well below any temp that will affect the metal, and it's significantly below the temp that lubricating oil boils at. I'll ask my friend what temp his washer runs at.
Old 01-29-13, 07:54 AM

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I have a friend with a big transmission shop. He has a large industrial washer that uses very hot water and detergent to degrease and clean transmission components. He can fit several entire disassembled automatic transmissions, housing and all, in it at once. The parts came out quite hot and quickly dry on the bench.
the difference is completely dismantled, no bearings etc, no places to trap water and cause corrosion
Old 01-29-13, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Is there some component of which I'm not aware that requires ultrasonic cleaning in order to perform it's function?
No, but if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, why not use it?

When you purchase an old bike of unknown history, I think it's a good idea to take it completely apart, and start over with familiar lubrication in known quantities. Generally, that means eliminating all the old greases/oils, and an ultrasonic cleaner is a very effective way of doing that, not the ONLY way, and possibly not even the best way. I'm not suggesting it for routine maintenance. 'Showroom clean' only happens when a bike is new, or after a complete rebuild. After that, it becomes an object to be ridden more than admired, and routine maintenance/cleaning is usually quite adequate.
Old 01-29-13, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I've been using a can of carb/parts cleaner with a basket for cleaning headsets, bottom brackets, derailleurs, and such. It works well, but still struggles with 40+ year old grease that has turned into a thick paste or even brittle plastic. Plus the solvent doesn't last forever and those cans cost nearly $40 to replace.

As an alternative I'm going to try simmering parts like that for a day in a crock pot filled with water and dishwashing liquid. Upon removing the parts from the pot I would spray them down with WD-40 and throw them in a ziplock to prevent rust until I could polish and/or properly relube for installation. From what I've seen here, it looks like the crock pot as a home-made hot tank works pretty well.
Old 01-29-13, 02:21 PM

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all. I didn't boil them or anything else.
Old 04-06-20, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boiling chain

Originally Posted by HillRider
Boiling in water is going to get water inside every bearing and it's going be very difficult to get out completely. There are lots of better ways. If you insist on not using solvents or degreasers, your alternative is lots of rags.
You can put the chain in an old frying pan and set the heat to very low or warm. After a half hour there is NO moisture in the chain.
Old 04-06-20, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebie
You can put the chain in an old frying pan and set the heat to very low or warm. After a half hour there is NO moisture in the chain.
So your first post on Bikeforums is dragging up a seven year old thread, and correcting a long-time member who is one of the most all-time helpful members in the history of BF, and telling him that.....he can cook a bicycle chain on low heat in a frying pain for good results.

Okey-Dokey.

Last edited by well biked; 04-06-20 at 05:18 PM.
Likes For well biked: