Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommend good quality commuting tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recommend good quality commuting tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 01:56 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Tour Plus

Originally Posted by crowrj
I have a similar question. I currently have Schwable Sammy Slicks ( Sammy Slick HS 414 | Schwalbe North America ). I like these tires alot as I often hit some off-road trails after work. A rash of punctures through the tread, including an annoying week and a half with a annoying sliver of glass lodged in the tire tread that I did not spot. I want something that can handle a tiny sliver of glass no matter what angle I hit it at.

I'm thinking of switching to the Marathon Plus Tour (Marathon Plus Tour HS 404 | Schwalbe North America) or the Marathon Mondial (Marathon Mondial HS 428 | Schwalbe North America). These are rated the same as the Sammy Slicks for off-road use-- 3 1/2 squares-- but I'm worried without the knobbies they may not be able to handle beginner/intermediate singletrack I take sometimes. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
I was using the Schwalbe Marathon Tour Plus Tires hs404 26x1.75 on my Surly LHT
and very hard to unmount from my Rims so I can try Continental Touring Plus 26x1.75 in
Southern California and in 2013 I wanted Schwalbe marathon plus hs348 2013 26x175 I did not like tread on marathon plus hs348 but when Schwalbe Tires came out in 2014 the marathon plus hs440 I like this tread but I don't have $120.00 for new Tires at this time!
Old 03-17-16, 02:10 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My goodness, those Marathon Plus Tour tires are a quarter inch thick and weigh 2.5x the Sammy's
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-17-16, 02:16 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973
Panaracer Tservs. Relatively light and good flat protection.
I've been using these for years, very happy with them. They are my 'go-to' tire choice and are on at least 5 bikes in our family.
Old 03-17-16, 03:44 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I use Gatorskins and have very good results from them. The sidewalls are super strong and flat protection on the tread bit is good too. I tried the Marathon Plus but got a load of flats so stopped using them (average one flat every 13 commutes) whereas with the Conti Gatorskins, flats average one for every 70+ commutes. I use the 700 x 25 size.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-17-16, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Quick CX 1 & 2009 Cannondale Scalpel 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My goodness, those Marathon Plus Tour tires are a quarter inch thick and weigh 2.5x the Sammy's
That is true. They'd add less that 2lbs though. I already ride with my laptop, lunch and a thermos full of coffee most days so I may be able to live with that.
Old 03-17-16, 11:07 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
That is true. They'd add less that 2lbs though. I already ride with my laptop, lunch and a thermos full of coffee most days so I may be able to live with that.
You are welcome to them. They don't look fun to me. I should admit I don't really like hybrid tires. If I'm riding to the dirt I'd rather have real knobbies when I get to the dirt and tolerate the wear on the pavement. I've tried supple this time around, and next time will add armor or go tubeless, but I'm not going to wear four or five pounds of tires in order to never ever get a flat.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-18-16, 09:18 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I have a similar question. I currently have Schwable Sammy Slicks ( Sammy Slick HS 414 | Schwalbe North America ). I like these tires alot as I often hit some off-road trails after work. A rash of punctures through the tread, including an annoying week and a half with a annoying sliver of glass lodged in the tire tread that I did not spot. I want something that can handle a tiny sliver of glass no matter what angle I hit it at.

I'm thinking of switching to the Marathon Plus Tour (Marathon Plus Tour HS 404 | Schwalbe North America) or the Marathon Mondial (Marathon Mondial HS 428 | Schwalbe North America). These are rated the same as the Sammy Slicks for off-road use-- 3 1/2 squares-- but I'm worried without the knobbies they may not be able to handle beginner/intermediate singletrack I take sometimes. Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
Consider Schwalbe Hurricanes