Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

More (shameless) all-chrome '70 Paramount pics...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

More (shameless) all-chrome '70 Paramount pics...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 03:11 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 4,407 Times in 2,094 Posts
Originally Posted by sirpoopalot
what are you talking about?

i don't have a "fixie"

?
Just teasing you, buddy boy

-Kurt

Old 06-10-08, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but seriously, why the red tape? i think black & chrome is an incredibly beautifiul combo. even more so when the black tape fades a bit in the sun.

while we are at it....look pedals?

are those tubulars? if so, v.nice.
Old 06-10-08, 03:26 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Red tape because I like it.

Always thought that the red tape belonged on a machine with red decals and pinstriping. Perhaps if it didn't have lining and had black decals instead (did Schwinn ever do so on the chrome Paramounts?), I would use black cotton, but not in this case.
Yes, LOOK pedals. This is what it looked like when I got it home on Day #1. Should show what has been replaced, and what has not (and is slated for removal once the proper parts come about):

If you'd like to donate a pair of period Nuovo Records, I'd be more then happy to accept.

27" clinchers. Temporary wheelset until I can scrounge up a pair of Mavic MA-2's, Module E's or Module 3's. Tires are 1980's Specialized Turbos - probably the slickest (and most fragile) clinchers ever made.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-10-08 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 03:20 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Those were exactly my thoughts when I experienced high-speed fork shimmy on my Raleigh Alyeska once I began climbing past 25mph on a shallow descent. Can't tell you what I think of hi-ten forks after that experience. I also still maintain that it was that wobble that caused the stress crack that snapped the front rack later on.

-Kurt
No need to worry about such a problem on a Paramount. Mine run straight as an arrow the faster they go. In fact, I've had the old Continental up into the low 40s mph with no problems.

Just another reason to pawn all those old Raleighs and buy yourself another Schwinn.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-11-08, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think I'm in love......
Old 06-11-08, 09:48 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
No need to worry about such a problem on a Paramount. Mine run straight as an arrow the faster they go. In fact, I've had the old Continental up into the low 40s mph with no problems.
That's one of the reasons I love 'em - stiffest forks I've seen in a long time, and yet, they flex well for any harsh segments of road. I don't think I would try it on a Continental though - high-ten forks...

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Just another reason to pawn all those old Raleighs and buy yourself another Schwinn.
Oh, the top-end machines in the Raleigh USA lineup aren't bad - but when you get down to models that they cheapen out with high-ten forks and rear stays...well, the ride suffers.

-Kurt

Old 06-11-08, 10:30 AM
jgmacg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Kurt, while you and your beautiful Paramount are handy this morning, I thought I'd pester you with a question. What's the approximate going price for complete, early 70s Paramounts in good shape these days? I saw what I thought was a lovely example come and go on eBay last week, a '73 in silver with original componentry, for $1500. Not concours, by any means, but a very clean, pretty, well-maintained bike. Just curious about how to channel my obsessions for the next few years. Thanks.

Old 06-11-08, 10:59 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jgmacg
Kurt, while you and your beautiful Paramount are handy this morning, I thought I'd pester you with a question. What's the approximate going price for complete, early 70s Paramounts in good shape these days?
The going price of an early '70s Paramount? The going price is what the venue of sale will bear for a Paramount with the condition it is presented in taken into account.

In other words, it is not entirely impossible to find a Paramonunt that may sell on eBay for $800 or $1300 on your local Craigslist for $350, or at a garage sale for $75 (or on Craigslist for $15,000, and at a yard sale for $20k, for that matter).

My advice: Pay no more then you believe it is worth to you, in the venue that provides you the best deal to your own price cap. Seek a Paramount if you wish, but don't force your search - the right one will seemingly "come to you" with little legwork on your part. Jump on it if you feel the price and size is right for your wallet, or let it pass, knowing that it isn't the only Paramount in the world, or the only example within 100 miles of you either.

As for a rough guideline, I like to go by the following: If you do better on your purchase then the general average on eBay for a machine of similar condition, you came out ahead.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-11-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 11:10 AM
jgmacg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks, Kurt.

Old 06-11-08, 11:16 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jgmacg
Thanks, Kurt.
Glad to be of service, anytime.

-Kurt

Old 06-11-08, 11:23 AM

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Lovely bike, Kurt! Left lever/rear brake is standard over here in the UK, so it's what I'm used to. Imported bikes sometimes have the brakes the other way around. Maybe that's somehow linked to the fact that we drive on the left side of the road??? Provided you can remember which lever works each brake, I can't see it matters! Keep the photos coming!
Old 06-11-08, 11:54 AM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,069 Posts
Yeah, I guess it looks okay, sorta. Of course, I've seen scooper's and blankcrow's chrome Paramounts "in the flesh," so I'm kind of jaded.

Seriously, that is a beautiful bike. And I concur with His Pastorship - it should be rock-solid on those mega-tricky Florida descents.

As for the left/rear right/front brake cables, I would never do it, only because I have been running the American standard set-up for so long that it is permanently ingrained in my muscle memory, which could make for some serious and maybe a in a "gotta stop RIGHT NOW" situation if I tried to switch.

Besides, bigbossman would at me if I did it. That may be okay for you, but I have to actually ride with the guy.
Old 06-11-08, 06:08 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Besides, bigbossman would at me if I did it. That may be okay for you, but I have to actually ride with the guy.

-Kurt