Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would you ride on these roads? 55-60mph?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Would you ride on these roads? 55-60mph?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 07:02 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I have never heard bicycles with pedals being referred to as push bikes (although I have been known to push my bike up a hill or two &#128546 As I've grown up, pushbikes are either the pictured bikes often favored by Amish riders or strider and other brand children's bikes favored by young children. I'm only 68 yo. so perhaps it's a term from before my time.

Originally Posted by prathmann
Maybe because he raised the question on a forum about bicycles, aka pushbikes to distinguish them from motorbikes.
Old 11-12-18, 09:58 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 399 Posts
I'd ride on them, no problem. Would wear a hi viz vest or jacket though.
Old 11-13-18, 07:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'd ride on them, no problem. Would wear a hi viz vest or jacket though.
So would I. Lights on, all the time, night and day; reflective vest; reflective "slow moving vehicle" triangle on the back, and I'd probably ride on the shoulder a lot of the time. I always wear a helmet mirror, and I'd keep an eye on that all the time.
Old 11-13-18, 08:47 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909
I live near Austin, TX. The roads that I would have to commute on are 55-60mph on the high side. I believe they all have big shoulders, besides the one my work is on, but that one has a side walk. The roads I would have to use are US 79... which might be a highway? Limmer Loop or Chandler Rd/University Blvd . I'm just trying to figure out if it's even safe to commute on these roads, before looking too much into bicycles. My commute would be 20-22 miles round trip. I used to see bicyclists every once in a while on Chandler/University.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
If I have to ride on a busy main highway, I prefer ones with a middle turn lane. It makes it easy for cars to move over when passing.
I would need to use very puncture resistant tires if I rode on a shoulder.

Yes, an eyeglass mounted mirror makes riding with traffic much easier. With just a small head movement, I can sweep the view all the way across, to see everything back there. It's great for merging for left turns, or seeing when there's no cars overtaking me.

~~~~

Strava Heat Map
You might get some alternate routes from this map.

This is a map that's color coded by how often a road is used by Strava riders. It's from two years of strava GPS recordings -- 36 million rides in the USA in 2017!
You can bookmark/favorite the map view, since the URL changes as you pan and zoom.
As you zoom in, it recolors the roads so that locally popular country roads are now brighter white. Country roads get fewer riders, so they look dim on a zoomed out view.
(On the left side menu, click the Bicycle icon, and click the Labels button, these settings don't reload with the URL.)

I use this map to look for popular roads, and to avoid dim red roads that have popular roads nearby -- cyclists are avoiding those. Some popular roads might be too busy during rush hour, mostly ridden on weekends or evenings.

The map near your mentioned roads, Limmer, University...
https://www.strava.com/heatmap#13.55...55310/hot/ride

It looks like there are a few alternate east-west roads, but some areas don't have any through roads.

Colors: the bright white is most popular, dim red least popular. Roads with no recorded bike traffic show gray.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-13-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 09:40 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
@MAK, I learned the term "push bike" when I traveled in the British Isles, and I guess they use it also in Australia. I don't hear it in the US, and I'll bet they don't use it in Canada, either.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.