Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The post your trailer thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 02:22 PM
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
She's done...

Finally got the basics done... a few tweaks and newer rims/tires will be in order very soon. All in all, she handles well, a little canting to deal with, but, nothing real urgent to stop my 100 lb. runs into town and back when needed. I use it as a straight flat bed and with the tub held on with the strap.

Old 12-04-09, 09:20 AM
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Trailer Build

A few months ago a garage across the road from me was getting done up and I was hauling all sorts of stuff out there skip. A couple of days ago I remembered I'd hauled out a matal frame, so I started work on a new trailer.
Yesterday I had my mate weld on 4 uprights and a 4 bracers around the top (it looks squint! but thats my mates welding lol. Once I got it home I started work on the wooden body.

How it looks so far...

I have now stripped it all down and sprayed it with cheap undercoat (grey) from the £1 shop. Im now in the process of spaying the frame black. Im going to spay the wood grey then coat it with a clear varnish.

I'll post more pics as it progresses

Regards
Tom
Old 12-06-09, 09:06 AM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bit more done...

Finished painting frame black, and as im having the wheels cantilevered I made a couple of big dropouts out of thick angle iron.

I have sprayed my wooden panels grey and im waiting for the varnish to dry before bolting it all together and sealing it.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-06-09, 05:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some pictures of my Mongoose Sabrosa hauling our kayaks back to the launch site on our first annual Neyland Drive row out and ride back.

Last edited by TommyBoy1; 12-06-09 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my doubts about your drop out - have you used that type before? My feeling is that under load you'll bend that piece of angle meaty as it is of deform the hole you've bolted through although I'd be happy to be wrong. I asked because I'm thinking of something similar for my next generation trailer. Instead of angle I was going to use square tube and run the bolt/axle through both walls of the tube so the cantilever is supported across a longer distance.

DAY
Originally Posted by BossCat
A bit more done...

Finished painting frame black, and as im having the wheels cantilevered I made a couple of big dropouts out of thick angle iron.

I have sprayed my wooden panels grey and im waiting for the varnish to dry before bolting it all together and sealing it.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-07-09, 10:09 PM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dayworks
I have my doubts about your drop out - have you used that type before? My feeling is that under load you'll bend that piece of angle meaty as it is of deform the hole you've bolted through although I'd be happy to be wrong. I asked because I'm thinking of something similar for my next generation trailer. Instead of angle I was going to use square tube and run the bolt/axle through both walls of the tube so the cantilever is supported across a longer distance.

DAY
Hi dayworks,

In answer to your question - Yes I have used angle iron before as dropouts, although a bit thinner than the one im using now. The thin angle I used last time for a quicky ladder trailer (to bring a load of loooong wood home) ended up buckling just as I turned the trailer into my street. - (a trip of about 2 mile)

LADDER TRAILER (Extendable).

The above trailer was only built to bring home the wood its carrying.

I have since built a stronger trailer for long and heavy loads. For this I used the thick angle iron. I had to use 2 pieces to hold on my wheels due to the nature of the fittings on the wheelchair wheels.

I'll try and get pics of the dropouts on this trailer.

Instead of angle I was going to use square tube and run the bolt/axle through both walls of the tube so the cantilever is supported across a longer distance.
I thought of that also and did indeed try it out, but you have to ofset the wheel axle. I found that my wheel axle was just to short to catch a nut safely after going through my 1" tube. So I stuck with THICK angle iron.

I have stood on my trailer without the wheels splaying out or anything buckling, so im happy with it, though I suppose its all down to how much weight you wish to carry?

Might I add if you got the way of angle iron for your dropouts make sure when you drill out the hole for your wheel axle that its a tight fit.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-08-09, 09:15 AM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A pic of the double type dropout I had to make for the fitting of the wheelchair wheels on my big trailer.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-08-09, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks more substantial - I see what your saying about the short axle. The wheels I'm using just come with bearings so I'm free to make any axle I like. If it held your weight the only thing left you have to worry about is shocks under load - keep us posted

DAY
A pic of the double type dropout I had to make for the fitting of the wheelchair wheels on my big trailer.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-09-09, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a BoB Ibex that gets regularly loaded with twice the rated capacity that's been modded slightly to add a kickstand to it so I don't need to do that origami fold thing they recommend to park it.

Also found this and thought it looked interesting, not that I'd want to ride one loaded...

Old 12-12-09, 09:32 PM

Bikes: fuji, specialized, sanwa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

catering for james jonathans. Just an old kids trailer tied on with an inner tube. Needs a stronger bed (canvas is tearing) I was thinking about expanded steel grate maybe. Also need an actual hitch. The inner tube method works fine, it's just the opposite of quick release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_7185.jpg (52.4 KB, 279 views)
Old 12-15-09, 06:51 PM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are a couple of pictures from the recent WABA office move...

loaded up with some heavier-than-they-look boxes.

ladies love a guy with a cargo trailer

trailer catching a bit of air.
Old 12-16-09, 07:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice to see trailers working in DC. Thanks for posting the photos. I've met that redhead. She's cool.
Old 12-17-09, 08:22 PM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done a little more to my shopping trailer. I reset the wheels a little further back on the frame as I had some fun and games taking a big tv to the recycle center on Sunday. I found a nice stainless steel door on my way home (I think it was from a hotel kitchen unit or someting?), to make a nice lid for the trailer, i had to adapt it a bit as it was a little to wide and a little to short.
I got my mate Peter to weld small piece of angle iron along the back to hold a padlock. Im going to paint it up and varnish it like the rest of the trailer. I'll get some pics posted up soon.

Next step is designing a light sytem for it - Lights, Indicators, Brake Lights etc. I have most if not all of the stuff I need its just figuring out the wiring and placing of everything.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-19-09, 04:33 PM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the kiddie trailer V2. I changed out the flatbed for a more useful container and also added skyways. Since the container is suspended by bolts, it probably wouldn't support too much weight [enough for me] but it feels very secure.

Old 12-31-09, 09:40 AM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a little update to my trailer. With the snow still laying a bit heavy on the ground I haven't been able to do much painting, but I did source out an old bed frame that I used to make my new towbar. I have also managed to cobble together a sort of indicator for the rear of the trailer - this still needs a bit of work done on it.

Trailer with new towarm...

Towarm.
(I used a couple of old computer power leads, the wires are threaded along the inside of the towarm to the indicators)

Trailer indicators.
(still have to add a rear light and brake light. this is just a prototype until I scource out better materials)

The stainless steel door/lid I found.

The door/Lid
painted up and a piece of angle iron welded on to take a padlock.

As you can see the lid falls a little short but this will be made up with a piece of wood.

Still have to do a bit more wiring and varnish the lid. ......... Damn snow

I'll keep you all updated as to how things progress.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-31-09, 09:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy New Year to all!! The trailer looks good BossCat!! I just ordered my 16" SkyWay's and an axle and bearings from BAW, so I can swap out the temp set-up and my trailer will be in final mode once I get everything here and installed. Can't wait to get back to the feed store and load the new version with bags of dog food!! Pics will follow once I start the change over.
Old 01-01-10, 11:52 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my conversion. It is based off of a Burley flatbed as I liked the design and it seemed like an easy transition from the original trailer which was a Burley D'Light.

I stripped off the fabric and the high side rails. For the platform I used steel framing studs and for the new side rails I used 1/2" conduit. Both of which are galvanized steel. Using steel did add a bit more weight. The original trailer weighed 15 pounds, and I estimate it weighs 35 pounds in its current state.

I just went for a test ride with about 120 pounds. The ride felt very rubber band like at slower speeds. Is this common?

I'll cross post this in the trailer thread.

Old 01-04-10, 10:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbllaakke
Here's my conversion. It is based off of a Burley flatbed as I liked the design and it seemed like an easy transition from the original trailer which was a Burley D'Light.

I stripped off the fabric and the high side rails. For the platform I used steel framing studs and for the new side rails I used 1/2" conduit. Both of which are galvanized steel. Using steel did add a bit more weight. The original trailer weighed 15 pounds, and I estimate it weighs 35 pounds in its current state.

I just went for a test ride with about 120 pounds. The ride felt very rubber band like at slower speeds. Is this common?

I'll cross post this in the trailer thread.

Wow!! Nice retro fit of the D'Light... that bed looks awesome; plenty of places to secure straps and the like - love the reflectors/lights (?) on the rear! Good job man!!
Old 01-04-10, 08:23 PM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, nice refit, but I think you should have raised the side railes above the wheels - easier for carrying certian types of loads. Plus a thin sheet of ply wood screwed/bolted onto the load bed would finish it of.

Regards
Tom
Old 01-04-10, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, nice refit, but I think you should have raised the side railes above the wheels - easier for carrying certian types of loads. Plus a thin sheet of ply wood screwed/bolted onto the load bed would finish it of.

Regards
Tom
Thank you.

My thoughts on this: Plywood could become water logged, it is heavy, and would take away tie-downs. If I need to haul smaller items I'll use a Rubbermaid box, or use panniers.

Higher side rails are a good idea for wider loads- I didn't really consider that when building it. My intentions for the shorter side rails were to protect the wheels from cargo slipping into them. They also fold in for slightly larger loads.
Old 01-06-10, 10:31 AM
Trailer Nut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up A lovely pair of camping trailers

Just thought you guys might like to see a couple of really well made camping trailers I came across while browsing the web. The trailer tent(s) were built by a couple of German guys to use for camping/touring.

Trailer 1:

https://www.guelo46.de/00004.html

Trailer 2:

https://www.w44.de/
This site also shows the construction of the folding top trailer.

Aint they a couple of beauties

Regards
Tom

PS...... Use Bablefish webpage translator if you wish to brows the sites in english https://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/

Last edited by BossCat; 01-06-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Those two camping trailers are stunning; I particularily like the looks of the second one.
Old 01-06-10, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hells, I'd do a bit more cosmetic work on them and make them look like Conestoga wagons.
Old 01-06-10, 05:49 PM

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
Hells, I'd do a bit more cosmetic work on them and make them look like Conestoga wagons.
I am going to disagree with you there.

It is the simplicity in the lines of the plywood and material covering that makes them look so good.
Old 01-07-10, 06:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth
I am going to disagree with you there.

It is the simplicity in the lines of the plywood and material covering that makes them look so good.
This is why I said I'd do it, it wasn't a blanket statement on how they should look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.