Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

First Time Recumbent Rider/Buyer

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

First Time Recumbent Rider/Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks. What was your first 'bent and how did your tastes evolve into the one you have now?
Old 08-27-17, 01:51 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
First 'bent was a RANS 2000 Tailwind bought used/cheap in 2006. Replaced with a RANS V-Rex in 2008. Tailwind was a bit small for me and realized there are drawbacks to two small wheels. The V-Rex was joined by a steel RANS V3 in 2009. Wanted to try a high bottom bracket LWB with two big wheels for longer distance rides. Continued to use the V-Rex for commuting. A year and a half ago bought an unused 2007 V3 ti frame and moved parts from the steel bike to the ti frame. Needed only to buy a rear brake. This past winter, built the steel V3 frame back up with seat, original wheels, bars and drive train from V-Rex. The steel V3 has been my commuter bike this year and the Rex frame hangs in a corner of the garage. The steel V3 is great for commuting but much heavier than the ti V3, which I am greatly enjoying. Possibility that the Rex will be brought back to life when I retire in the very near future and will not need a commuter bike. (Don't currently have a bike that can easily be thrown in the back of a car.)
Old 08-27-17, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
It's true that LWB is a little bit easier to learn. There are two factors at work: LWB tends to have lower pedals, and they tend to have more upright seats. Neither is an insurmountable advantage, though. I'm sure you'll learn the Giro quickly in spite of the high bottom bracket. Actually, being up higher is an advantage too -- the higher you are, the easier it is to balance (reverse pendulum effect.)

My first bent, like JanMM, was a RANS bike. In my case, it was a V-Rex. The seat was fairly upright compared to what I have now, which limited speed but made it really easy to learn. The Recurve seat will be the same -- start with it fairly upright and lay it back as you get more comfortable. If there comes a time when you want more speed, get a Euromesh seat for it and really get aero! If you get aero enough, the Giro should be able to coast away from a tandem team on a good downhill.
Old 08-27-17, 09:18 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's cool to see you people progress to different bikes and why.

On my Giro A20 test ride the scariest part, for me, was the initial start -transition from stop to both feet on pedal. I can do it, ride ok in a slightly higher gear, and stop fine, but not as gracefully as an accomplished rider. The "tweener" bars just felt more natural for me vs the "hamster" bars.
Old 09-08-17, 07:55 AM

UPDATE: I received a call from Rose City Recumbents that my new Giro was ready, so headed over. They pointed out to me, right away, that two of the cable stops were welded on backwards, and that they already contacted Bacchetta and ordered a replacement frame. I noted, with surprise, that the frame also was missing the white paint panel with the stripes at each end. The bike they receive and assembled for me was solid yellow with "Bacchetta" logo in black up front on the mono tube. The paint job was a big contributing factor as to why I chose that particular bike.

So....an email was sent regarding the paint job to Bacchetta. The recumbent shop owners are on vacation soon, so the new frame will be at the shop, perhaps, around the 20th. In the meantime I brought this one home so I can start practicing.

Wow! I had so much fun! After the basic ergonomic setup at the bike shop, I've already moved the seat back, lowered the handlebars, and added the Arkel Recumbent Seat Bag to it. I figured out that the reason I've been so wobbly on "take off" is because I was watching the pedals so I could get my second foot on the pedal.

I practiced looking out into the distance, like I would on a diamond frame bike, and sure enough, my other foot found the pedal just automatically. I will swap out the pedals since the stock ones have no grip or pins at all - just a rubber strip.

I rode on the bike paths but mostly in my quiet neighborhood on the streets, and smiled a lot. Fun to see people do double takes.....

Does anyone know instructions for actually removing the seat?
Old 09-08-17, 12:19 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
UPDATE: I received a call from Rose City Recumbents that my new Giro was ready, so headed over. They pointed out to me, right away, that two of the cable stops were welded on backwards, and that they already contacted Bacchetta and ordered a replacement frame. I noted, with surprise, that the frame also was missing the white paint panel with the stripes at each end. The bike they receive and assembled for me was solid yellow with "Bacchetta" logo in black up front on the mono tube. The paint job was a big contributing factor as to why I chose that particular bike.

So....an email was sent regarding the paint job to Bacchetta. The recumbent shop owners are on vacation soon, so the new frame will be at the shop, perhaps, around the 20th. In the meantime I brought this one home so I can start practicing.

Wow! I had so much fun! After the basic ergonomic setup at the bike shop, I've already moved the seat back, lowered the handlebars, and added the Arkel Recumbent Seat Bag to it. I figured out that the reason I've been so wobbly on "take off" is because I was watching the pedals so I could get my second foot on the pedal.

I practiced looking out into the distance, like I would on a diamond frame bike, and sure enough, my other foot found the pedal just automatically. I will swap out the pedals since the stock ones have no grip or pins at all - just a rubber strip.

I rode on the bike paths but mostly in my quiet neighborhood on the streets, and smiled a lot. Fun to see people do double takes.....

Does anyone know instructions for actually removing the seat?
There are instructions for Seat Removal in the owners manual pdf available in the Resources section of the B-bike website.
(I almost bought a Giro 20 in 2008 but RANS could ship a V-Rex to my LBS a couple of weeks quicker than Bachetta could deliver a Giro 20)
Old 09-08-17, 12:55 PM

@JanMM - yeah, I downloaded the owners manual and got the scoop there. Thanks for your response. I'll be out on it today.....likely more than once.
Old 11-03-17, 05:01 PM
joyful rider

Bikes: Sun EZ-1 Super Cruzer with Shimano Nexus 8 and 65lb fat front tire

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I then test ride a standard size and it was love.....aaaahhhhhh.
Exactly. I have never heard of a DFer respond this way. But this is what happened to me too, when I started in on my nice budget used EZ-1 a week ago :-)
Old 11-04-17, 06:31 PM

@jebofabo - What are you doing with your EX - 1? Working on it or riding it?

Now that I am actually able to ride a recumbent, future test rides will be very different from my wobbly first ever ride on a test bike at a shop.
Old 11-04-17, 08:15 PM
joyful rider

Bikes: Sun EZ-1 Super Cruzer with Shimano Nexus 8 and 65lb fat front tire

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@jebofabo - What are you doing with your EX - 1? Working on it or riding it?

Now that I am actually able to ride a recumbent, future test rides will be very different from my wobbly first ever ride on a test bike at a shop.
Riding! I have clearly limited mechanical ability. For instance I have tried many times to adjust derailleurs but have always ended up needing capable help. I can usually do more with brakes...
Old 11-10-17, 11:16 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 390 Posts
Vixen- any updates? I've been a little out of the loop lately.

BTW: the next OHPV meeting will be this Wednesday November 15th, at Rose City Recumbents (SE 37th & Powell).
Doors open about 6:45, meeting starts at 7pm.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-13-17, 06:48 PM

@Jeff Wills - Thanks for the heads up. Not sure I’ll make it.

Nothing new. Ride 25 miles out to Hillsboro & back on low volume roads. My longest ride so far. Managed to tip over while I stopped! All is well otherwise.
Old 11-13-17, 11:55 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 390 Posts
@Jeff Wills - Thanks for the heads up. Not sure I’ll make it.

Nothing new. Ride 25 miles out to Hillsboro & back on low volume roads. My longest ride so far. Managed to tip over while I stopped! All is well otherwise.
Meh. I did three or four "Artie's" before I switched to SPD pedals and shoes. I've had SPD's for (eek!) 26 years now.

My best was when Diane and I hit some super-slick mud on our P-38 Lightnings. We both had our bikes slide out from under us simultaneously. We were going slow enough that we didn't hurt anything except for our butts. We both got up laughing.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..