Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deformed Tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Deformed Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Thank you for posting a follow-up on this. We sometimes see a picture of the problem, several suggestions, and then radio silence. It's nice to have photos of the problem and the direct cause right in the same thread.
I am guilty of that also, but I have been trying to get better at the follow-up. some people take a lot of time to reply to threads and I figure they should get at least a thank you and in this case there was a visual to show and for me to learn from. And you reminded me to reply to another thread about rims that I ended up buying.
Old 10-06-20, 04:08 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I liked riding 27" tires on road bikes. I even miss them. However they went by the wayside before the turn of the Century and 700C's are the favored now for road bikes.

As a result you see all the new tire tech and high quality tires only marketed as 700C's or what ever the normal size is for other types of bikes sold today.

So you might think about that some. I got rid of my favorite ride 10 years ago because the choice of 27" road tires was so limited.
Old 10-06-20, 07:34 PM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
It was to tires in general. In looking at tires for sale I don't see that spec in the descriptions.
TPI is generally not given on less expensive tires. But even when it is given, it's not always so useful. For example:

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...rand-prix-5000

Continental list the GP5000 has "3/330" for TPI. They're saying that there are three layers of fabric with a "total" TPI of 330. But that means that each layer is 110 TPI...and they've just layered three together. The math doesn't work that way. In other words, a tire with 5 layers of 20 TPI fabric is not "supple" like a tire with 2 layers of 50 TPI fabric, or some other combination of higher TPI count casing layers. Schwalbe's website states they list the EPI (Ends Per Inch, but same thing) for a single layer of fabric, even if multiple layers are used. So Schwalbe would list the GP5000 as "110" TPI.

Unless you know exactly how TPI is measured, the marketed or claimed number may not be useful (or even misleading). I would say the Kenda tire is probably in the 20 TPI range. You could probably measure it yourself -- take that tire that you removed, cut it open, and lay a ruler on the inside, perpendicular to the threads. How many are there in an inch? It looks pretty coarse -- as in, large threads with a relatively low TPI count.
Old 10-06-20, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01
I liked riding 27" tires on road bikes. I even miss them. However they went by the wayside before the turn of the Century and 700C's are the favored now for road bikes.

As a result you see all the new tire tech and high quality tires only marketed as 700C's or what ever the normal size is for other types of bikes sold today.

So you might think about that some. I got rid of my favorite ride 10 years ago because the choice of 27" road tires was so limited.
I was seeing that as I got back into cycling last year, 27" was a thing of the past, and it makes sense that nothing new is coming out for them. My plan is to repaint the 1979 Centurian that I have now and ride it, along with the mid-90s Rocky Mountain Sherpa that I bought off Craigslist in August, till next summer, If I am still riding a lot I will look at something new in the road bike world. I can see that a lot of improvements have taken place and I am sure I will enjoy something new more.
Old 10-07-20, 08:32 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I've had that happen on a few tires. I call it The Dreaded S-bulge. One time it happened at mile 80 of a century. I made it to the finish and the tread was starting to wear badly - could have blown at any time!
The S-bulge isn’t an indicator of a blow out. If you look at rogerphotog’s picture, you can see that there are still cords holding the tire together. There is more than one ply of fabric in the tire. For the tire to blow out at the bulge, it would need to break more plies and the rubber of the tread. That’s a lot to break through. The tire will wear faster because of the increased squirm but it won’t necessarily blow out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-07-20, 08:41 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

There really was no need to get rid of your favorite bike. It is relatively easy to change a 27” wheel to a 700C wheel. Most 27” era bikes have brakes that are slotted for exactly that purpose. A 27” wheel has a tire bead diameter of 630mm while a 700C has a bead diameter of 622mm. The brakes only have to be moved down 4mm (5/32” for the metrically challenged).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-07-20, 12:40 PM

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The S-bulge isn’t an indicator of a blow out. If you look at rogerphotog’s picture, you can see that there are still cords holding the tire together. There is more than one ply of fabric in the tire. For the tire to blow out at the bulge, it would need to break more plies and the rubber of the tread. That’s a lot to break through. The tire will wear faster because of the increased squirm but it won’t necessarily blow out.
I was simply relaying my own experience, not predicting the outcome of continued use of royphotog's tire.
Old 10-07-20, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
What's it look like at the bead seat?
I have had tires that didn't seat well for one reason or another that had an extra curve similar to above, so always worth checking. But, the inside photo shows that there was likely a lot of internal damage to the tire.
Old 10-07-20, 07:49 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have had tires that didn't seat well for one reason or another that had an extra curve similar to above, so always worth checking. But, the inside photo shows that there was likely a lot of internal damage to the tire.
Which took more than a day before the OP posted that pic.
Which is the primary reason I have no further interest in ever trying to assist the OP.
Old 10-07-20, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Which took more than a day before the OP posted that pic.
Which is the primary reason I have no further interest in ever trying to assist the OP.
Well thank you, Bill, I am glad to hear that.