Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drawbacks to front fork shocks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drawbacks to front fork shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
from a casual rider point of view....

the weight of front shock is negligible.
it robs power, but not noticeable.

the huge plus is it is a safety feature.
hit a bump that you didnt see...w\o shock you crash, w/ shock., u dont.

where i ride, there are lots of trees and road has bumps. my sunglasses, combine with shade of the tree, makes difficult to seeing the bumps on the roads.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 04-30-21 at 12:14 AM.
Likes For mtb_addict:
Old 05-01-21, 08:17 AM

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I've got a 'head shock' on my bike with no lock out, but I don't find that it absorbs much of my effort at all as it's quite stiff and has a pretty low travel. It's very good at what it does - soaking up imperfections and bumps in paved roads - and I don't find it has any drawbacks at all.
Old 05-01-21, 09:12 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm not sure how much energy you really lose, but I find it really annoying to have the fork move when it's not needed.
Old 05-01-21, 10:39 AM

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
We have these things called 'appointments'...you should have asked your shop about them. We make every effort to never have a customer's bike in the shop for more than a day or 2.
Can you imagine sitting in a barbershop for a few days?

I suggest customer asking for appointment if it is not offered by the service manager. I would be surprised if a well managed shop didn't offer appointments. But also try to help people who came in without one.
Old 05-01-21, 02:26 PM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I've got a 'head shock' on my bike with no lock out, but I don't find that it absorbs much of my effort at all as it's quite stiff and has a pretty low travel. It's very good at what it does - soaking up imperfections and bumps in paved roads - and I don't find it has any drawbacks at all.
I think the key here is using a shock with with a hydraulic damper and an adjustable preload . Most entry level bikes from the big brands, like Giant, Trek, and Specialized have them, I don't know about cheap Walmart bikes.

If we can adjust the preload to prevent the front from rising with normal pedal strokes, It seems like a good option for the recreational cyclist if you frequently encounter rough roads, MUP's and ride sidewalks on dangerous streets. I will likely look for a bike with a front shock next time. A lockout might be handy for climbing some hills where the increased torque in low gears might cause the front of the bike to Bob.
Old 05-01-21, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Siri, show me someone who doesn't understand how the retail service economy works...
13 months ago I broke a spoke and it was under warranty. Odd gauge and length. Called bike importer and they said they would send me a new rear wheel assembly.

I went to local shop, while I waited they "cut" a spoke for me of a smaller gauge, which which I installed and kept on riding. I hounded the bike company and month after month, excuses but they never got wheels ordered from China. I got a hold of company president, he sent me a new bike, had me send in old bike back in the carton.

September I had a new bike and in November and December they sent me a new rear wheel assembly. Free. I don't have a problem with mail order bikes but covid crashed their supply chains in many ways.
Old 05-01-21, 05:09 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Where do people get this kind of nonsense from?

Or did I just miss the joke and this is some kind of parody account?

I am not joking I was serious....Suspension is useless for riding on pavement or gravel, I just don't see any benefits to having a suspension on a bicycle....Even when I go riding off road on very rough singletrack trails I prefer a mountain bike with a rigid fork and no suspension. My body and tires provide more than enough suspension and when things get really rough I just use finesse, skill and pick my lines more carefully...Suspension is only useful for the most extreme forms of downhill mountain biking.
Old 05-01-21, 08:33 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Again, this is complete nonsense. This repeated, goofy, claim serves to highlight your lack of mountain biking experience.
Are you telling me that it's impossible to go do some serious mountain biking without suspension ??..If you are then maybe it's you who lacks experience.
Old 05-01-21, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I converted a bike with front shocks to a rear hub drive ebike. When cruising a lot at 18-23mph, the shocks seem to take the edge off, and when on potholed gravel at 10 mph they definitely help. I'm running them at maximum pre-load, as I didn't like the handling at high speed downhill on pavement when I tried a mid-level setting. If not on a heavy-ish ebike, I'd prefer plain old carbon front forks.
I agree on my mid drive the roads beat me up on my commute with out a little bit of help. I have a rock shock paragon fork and keneck seat post. going 20+mph on portland roads it can really beat you up, this setup only takes are of the light stuff you still need to use your body for really rough pavement. I put 20 miles a day on commuting alone.
Old 05-02-21, 10:50 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
There is a short very rocky descent near here that I have only ridden on my gravel bike, so no suspension fork. I think it's officially designated as a jeep trail. I have contemplated riding in on my mtb just to see the difference. I can ride it relatively quickly on the gravel bike, but then my head hurts.
Old 05-02-21, 11:32 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The theory of suspension in terms of efficiency is that the damping does not take as much power as the rider would have to spend taking it all into his body. That threshold is probably never met on a road bike. But on the other hand if you're just grinding along and not sprinting, a suspension fork doesn't move much and isn't taking any power anyhow. Aside from efficiency, there is also control, and just being able to take a hard hit. If you are the kind of person who likes to wheelie and pop off curbs and drive straight through potholes, maybe you can benefit.

Inexpensive suspension forks, not quite up to about $1000 mountain bikes now, do not provide any damping. They also have coil springs, so they don't have any running friction from pressurized seals like an air fork. So they are very easy moving. Thus it's hard to see how they "suck up" any energy to speak of. They can take a hit, but they are not very good to ride over bumps when you compare them to a "real" fork. This is also the kind of fork that has a lockout, which is kind of funny. When you lock it out it's like a brick.

The typical suspension fork on a nicer bike has an air spring which provides an adjustable and progressive spring rate, and separately adjustable compression and rebound damping, so you can dial in the response you want. Sometimes but not always these have a lockout, or you can crank down the low speed compression damping to have the same effect, but a lot of us just leave it open because remembering it's locked halfway up the trail and that's why it's been sucking is worse than suffering the nearly-imaginary losses on pavement.

A "rigid" fork can provide some spring but the direction of travel is wrong and it really depends on the fork. The fork on a really nice old road bike has very light thin steel tubes but the one on a 90's mountain bike or a hybrid are heavy duty and hard as a rock.

Tires also do not provide any damping, or at least not enough to bother talking about. If you drop a wheel &tire it will pop right back up into your hands like a basketball. Bigger tires at lower pressure act like softer springs, which is ok, but basically similar to the no-damping fork. Boioioing
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-02-21 at 01:31 PM.