Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shortening a steel steerer-tube: Why not use a pipe-cutter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shortening a steel steerer-tube: Why not use a pipe-cutter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 11:02 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My strong impression is that most people who stick together steel frames for a living or hobby are doing threaded headsets for aesthetic reasons, or using carbon or MTB forks.

Factory forks come uncut but steel ones are now vastly outnumbered.

So I figure while one guy might do it a lot, most aren't much.

And finally the Surly LHT and Cross Check were long well known for having very long top tubes (10mm longer than the seat tube) that resulted in a stack of spacers topped with a riser stem.
I have cut the steer tube at least once on every new fork and most complete bike I’ve ever bought.

My two Surlys (Wednesday and Karate Monkey), Soma Fog Cutter, and Salsa Casseroll all have steel steerers.

I guess I’m that one guy who does it a lot

Contrary to what someone else said earlier, pipe cutters work fine on steel steerers.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-08-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 12:52 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
plumbers have been cutting galvanized and black gas steel pipe with pipe cutters forever. mechanics steel brake, fuel, and cooler lines as well.
And that pipe is generally schedule 40 pipe with a 0.237” wall thickness which is almost ten times the thickness of a bicycle steer tube (0.9mm or 0.035”). It’s easy to cut tubing that thin.

That said, I wouldn’t use a tubing cutter since it does raise a lip and that requires more clean up. One of these helps with the clean up of either cut but the tubing cutter requires much more effort to get rid of the burrs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-08-23, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
so on a steel threaded steer tube what are pros using to make sure the threads stay nice and not buggered up while using a hacksaw? I have a vintage fork I need to cut down but have been worried about keeping the threads nice and clean.
Old 02-08-23, 03:35 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
so on a steel threaded steer tube what are pros using to make sure the threads stay nice and not buggered up while using a hacksaw? I have a vintage fork I need to cut down but have been worried about keeping the threads nice and clean.
get an old steel headset cup/cone/locknut(has to be one without the top flange) thread it on past your cut mark. Cut with hacksaw, clean it up with files, then remove the cup cone or locknut you put on there.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-09-23, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 390 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...saw-guide-sg-1

Cutting guide that cleans the threads when removed after cutting.
Old 02-09-23, 07:36 AM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...saw-guide-sg-1

Cutting guide that cleans the threads when removed after cutting.
it has gone extinct. I actually tried finding one a year ago with no luck.

If someone has one I would gladly rent it from them.

Last edited by jadmt; 02-09-23 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
To prevent mushrooming with a pipe cutter, sandwiching the tube being cut with tubes inside and outside might help. The mushrooming is restricted to the inside and outside tubes.
Old 02-10-23, 12:17 AM

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Pipe cutter works fine but expect to clean up the end some. Takes a few seconds with a 9" sanding disk, give the end a quick spin against the disk, another few seconds with a dremel takes care care of the inside of the steerer. Oddly, as I read this, I realized I don't use a hacksaw cause I don't own one and I'm not certain I ever did; and I wouldn't use my antique dovetail saws on a steel tube.
Old 02-10-23, 12:23 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Sorry but I can't resist.

I LOVE how explanations about using pipe cutters are the best arguments for using a hacksaw.*

* the Rodney Dangerfield of hand tools.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-10-23 at 12:31 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-10-23, 12:29 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts

No need to.

All you need is a steel upper head cup, probably available in the junk bin of an old school bike shop or coop.

If you can't cut straight, use two and make the cut between them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-10-23, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts

A used set of 3 such tools (SG-1, SG-2, and SG-3) is available on Ebay now. Auction ends next Wed.

Park Tool now offers the SG-6. Per their web page for the item, it can in fact also be used to cut threaded steerers, but the cut end will need to be beveled afterwards. The web page offers directions on how to use the SG-6 to do this.

FBinNY offers a good solution if you don't want to drop $50+ for one of the above. Two old threaded headset nuts should do the trick, forming a guide when tightened close enough to guide the blade without causing binding. If the one threaded on first is steel, it should also do a decent job of at least partially dressing the cut threads when removed. Beveling the threads before removing the last steel headset nut might be a decent idea here too; I'll defer to others with more experience on that point.

Or you could just take it to a LBS that knows what they're doing re: threaded steerers and pay them to do it.
Old 02-10-23, 02:58 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
While I agree that a dedicated saw guide isn't strictly necessary, especially for a one-off job, I did pick up this "Accu-Cut" saw guide from Island Cycles at some point, with pre-measured slots for "Campagnolo" (42mm), "Dura-Ace" (37mm), and "Other Shimano" (33mm) slots. You insert the fork (sans crown race) into the bare frame (no headset cups) so the crown race seat is flush against the lower head lug, tighten the thumb screw, and saw away using the appropriate slot:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-10-23, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sorry but I can't resist.

I LOVE how explanations about using pipe cutters are the best arguments for using a hacksaw.*

* the Rodney Dangerfield of hand tools.
Not to mention, I learned many years ago to put the blade in what would be considered "backwards" by most, to cut on the pull stroke just like you will find on the finest Japanese Pull Saws. If you do this you never need call it a "hack" saw again.