Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

She cleans up well! Trek 610..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

She cleans up well! Trek 610..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 05:06 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
i'm stripping the gruppo from the frame since my plans are to put the shimano 600 on another bike and sell/trade the frame (it's way too small for me)

i managed to hacksaw the bolt in half without damaging the paint.. put painters tape on the edges of the hacksaw and all over the bike. then went very very very slowly. put painters tape where i pulled the clamp off the frame too and it didn't scratch it

did destroy the bolt of course and the not sure it i'll be able to get the rest of the bolt out of the other fastener nut... we'll see

need to get a lockring tool tomorrow at the lbs to pull the BB and then i'll be done stripping it. the frame is so nice i hate to get rid of it.. kinda like just looking at it lol would put it on my wall if I didnt need the $.. i only bought the bike for the parts with the intent of reselling the frame to make my $ back. tempted to try to trade for something made of 531 in my size but i should really sell it
Ok, Frantik, step away from the prayer beads. This a good frame, but not a great frame - I have one. It's a very worthy rider, but not a paragon of light weight. I think that except for a few flaws, mainly the seat lug hourglass ears, it is a very well-made frame. The Reynolds tubeset is not at the top of the line. The geometry is kind of neither fish nor fowl; not race, not rando, not sport tour, not tour, but something in the middle. If you want something to put on the wall, at least get something similarly lugged but with a level top tube.
Old 04-18-11, 05:07 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
i used a lot of "liquid wrench" on the bolt.. didnt try the hammer to help it penetrate though. i think the main reason it was so hard to turn was because there was a lot of tension.. as soon as i cut the bolt part of it flew out

trust me i didnt want to hacksaw the bolt off at all, but especially once it started to get stripped, it was gonna have to be replaced anyways. im just glad the bolt was so soft.. it wasnt very hard to cut thru
Grit in the threads can create the same problem.
Old 04-18-11, 05:28 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ok, Frantik, step away from the prayer beads. This a good frame, but not a great frame - I have one. It's a very worthy rider, but not a paragon of light weight.
lol well it's the lightest frame i've ever owned, but in general i'm pretty new to good quality bikes. i've never had a frame i could easily lift with one pinky before. and i only mentioned putting it on the wall cause i like the color and frame art, and it's too small for me to ride haha
Old 04-19-11, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
but with a level top tube.
How does the 610 not have a level top tube, both of mine certainly do. The Trek brochure early in the thread shows it level too.
Old 04-19-11, 05:34 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
the top tube is level... not sure why he said that except maybe cause in the pics the bike is tilted?