Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I Buy This Grand Jubile?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 08:06 AM

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

In an earlier post I asked for an opinion on a new C&V, and this one of the contenders, a Motobecane Grand Jubile from my local CL. The seller doesn't know much about it (got it with a storage locker he bought), but it appears to be in OK shape but priced right (asking $295 but I believe will accept $250). Anyone know more about it...how original is it...what year it is...is it worth it...a good candidate for a noob mechanic like me? (Is that a ding on the downtube or just a paint blem?) As always, your feedback and advice wold be appreciated!

Listing:
Motobecane Men's VTG Motobecane Grand Jubilee Road Bike Touring 62 cm
Bases Haubans Fourreaux Vitus 172.
12 speed
Stand over height is 35 in.
Made in France.
Clean.
Everything is in working condition and it rides good.
Ready for use.
Quick release rims.
It shows some minor wear from use.
No dings or dents.
Good tires.

Pics (more below):

Old 08-19-23, 08:07 AM

Old 08-19-23, 08:20 AM
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 691 Posts
looks VERY original. hardly ridden and stored inside.. did not see a "ding in the downtube"

250 is a fair price.

if it fits, a very nice bike.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-19-23, 08:40 AM

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 655 Posts
I, and many others around here, are fans of the Moto GJ. They're great al-rounders and the ride quality is high. A lot of the fandom is centered around the earlier Reynolds-tubed models, though. Bike in question is an '81-'83 Vitus tubed GJ. This era is a little underrated and undervalued in my opinion. Locally, I see good examples sit unsold for months in the $200 range. I bought a very dirty but lightly used example for $150 earlier this year. This bike looks to be in good shape. Seems to have a non-original rear derailleur. If this bike is ready to ride and doesn't need new cables, $200 is a fair price. If you've gotta do some work, price will need to be lower. At $295, seller is probably going to be sitting on that thing for awhile.
Old 08-19-23, 08:47 AM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3950 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 3,285 Posts
Should I buy this Grand Jubile?
Not if you're 5'10".
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-19-23, 09:01 AM

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Not if you're 5'10".
Yeah, that's the most important question. Does it fit?
Old 08-19-23, 09:14 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
...the original derailleurs on these were Huret Jubilee (thus the Jubilee designation in the model name).
I don't know what that's worth to you, in terms of originality ?

Because of this feature, sometimes you see replacement rear derailleurs that are poorly fitted, because they don't compensate for the Huret stop position on the rear dropout. Your example might have an issue in that regard, but it's hard to tell without having it in front of me on a stand. You can sometimes find the originals for sale on the ebay, but they were kind of pricey at one time. The Jubilee derailleur is quite pretty, if a little less robust than many. $250 is still not a bad price, if you are tall enough that it fits. I would not buy it just because it's pretty, if it doesn't fit well.

Old 08-19-23, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the original derailleurs on these were Huret Jubilee (thus the Jubilee designation in the model name).
I don't know what that's worth to you, in terms of originality ?

Because of this feature, sometimes you see replacement rear derailleurs that are poorly fitted, because they don't compensate for the Huret stop position on the rear dropout. Your example might have an issue in that regard, but it's hard to tell without having it in front of me on a stand. You can sometimes find the originals for sale on the ebay, but they were kind of pricey at one time. The Jubilee derailleur is quite pretty, if a little less robust than many. $250 is still not a bad price, if you are tall enough that it fits. I would not buy it just because it's pretty, if it doesn't fit well.

That's a good looking GJ you got there.

By the early 80's, the year range of the OP's potential bike, the Grand Jubile was sporting a Simplex SX 410/610 rear derailleur. Not highly though of, or elegant like the earlier Huret, but actually work pretty well. This:

Last edited by Sedgemop; 08-19-23 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 08-19-23, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sedgemop
That's a good looking GJ you got there.

By the early 80's, the year range of the OP's potential bike, the Grand Jubile was sporting a Simplex SX 410/610 rear derailleur. Not highly though of, or elegant like the earlier Huret, but actually work pretty well. This:

This GJ is running Suntour in the rear and Simplex up front, and with the Simplex shifters you're clearly correct. I'm seeing Simplex RDs for about $50...what's the difference between the 410 and the 610? And does it look like the Front Simplex is original?

Old 08-19-23, 10:04 AM

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 187 Posts
Shorty fenders and an avocet touring! I am sold. But yeah I hope you are 6'3..
Old 08-19-23, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jetboy
Shorty fenders and an avocet touring! I am sold. But yeah I hope you are 6'3..
Yes, I am 6’3…this is my size
Likes For johnbobey:
Old 08-19-23, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 191 Posts
Looks as though it should clean up nicely and after repacking all the bearings, maybe new chain and brake pads, be a fun ride. How true are the wheels?

Probably came with an Ideale saddle and I'd spring for one, which will greatly enhance the looks.

Good luck!

Rick
Old 08-19-23, 11:10 AM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3950 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 3,285 Posts
1981 catalog

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-19-23, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnbobey
This GJ is running Suntour in the rear and Simplex up front, and with the Simplex shifters you're clearly correct. I'm seeing Simplex RDs for about $50...what's the difference between the 410 and the 610? And does it look like the Front Simplex is original?

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
...last time I was looking for one, the long cage simplex rear derailleurs were asking pretty steep prices on e-bay.
So I guess it depends on whether you plan on keeping gearing that would require a long cage rear derailleur, and what you are willing to spend on replacement.

The all metal ones from that era work pretty well, and are reasonably, if not exceptionally, durable. I think they're expensive because they didn't make and sell that many long cage versions.
Old 08-19-23, 12:32 PM

...as an afterthought, if you want the deluxe version of that era of Simplex, you'd probably spend the extra money to buy some Simplex retro-friction shifters, which work very well indeed,
Old 08-19-23, 02:55 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 223 Posts
The Avocet saddle is a model Touring WI. I suspect the W means for women. You could fix that with a Sharpie pen tho.
Old 08-19-23, 03:00 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,151 Posts
I wish my ‘78 had a set of bottle bosses. Price is ok for such a long term keeper. Is this n+1=1?
Old 08-19-23, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Classtime
I wish my ‘78 had a set of bottle bosses. Price is ok for such a long term keeper. Is this n+1=1?
This is absolutely n+1…I’m still waiting on a Raleigh International but keep seeing this open tab. I’m thinking that it’s going to need more than I want to put into it (Simplex RD)…if it was perceived as a screaming deal I would take the plunge but it seems that it’s priced appropriately so maybe I’ll just wait.
Old 08-19-23, 04:24 PM
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 691 Posts
the simplex RD would be a net downgrade in shifting performance. I would not make that trade.

but you do you. The bike is in very good condition and does not show evidence of stored outside or corrosive environment (like near the beach)

/markp
Old 08-19-23, 04:30 PM

I’m thinking that it’s going to need more than I want to put into it ....
...they always need more than you want to put into them.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-19-23, 05:10 PM
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,140 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model Nervar crankset, but the older Nervars I've owned take a rare chainring bolt pattern, 128 mm BCD. Not a problem if you like the rings on there, but it makes it harder to nerd out on getting exactly the gears you want. Or to replace a ring when it wears out. Though of course you can always just replace the cranks with another model with easier chainring availability. Or maybe this newer Nervar went to an industry-standard BCD like 130 mm? Dunno.

The pedals are made for toe clips, so replace those if not going with clips, they're uncomfortable on the bottom, and it's a pain to have to flip them over every time.

Anyone know, by this time, were the frame tubes 1" and 1-1/8", or still metric? (Older Motos I know and love were metric.) Does it take a metric stem (22.0 mm)? Threads, English, French or Swiss? Moto changed threading a couple times over the years.

Replacement straddle cables for those brakes are unobtainium. It's the rarest type of Mafac straddle. Nothing wrong with it unless one gets kinked or frayed — the ones on there will probably last a lifetime and they work fine.

Mark B
Old 08-19-23, 05:33 PM

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
The Avocet saddle is a model Touring WI. I suspect the W means for women. You could fix that with a Sharpie pen tho.
i love those saddles, W or not. I was being serious. Just sharpie through the first V and then its the Touring VI

I also like shorty fenders which is maybe puts me in the 1%?
Old 08-19-23, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by bulgie
I'm not familiar with that model Nervar crankset, but the older Nervars I've owned take a rare chainring bolt pattern, 128 mm BCD. Not a problem if you like the rings on there, but it makes it harder to nerd out on getting exactly the gears you want. Or to replace a ring when it wears out. Though of course you can always just replace the cranks with another model with easier chainring availability. Or maybe this newer Nervar went to an industry-standard BCD like 130 mm? Dunno.

The pedals are made for toe clips, so replace those if not going with clips, they're uncomfortable on the bottom, and it's a pain to have to flip them over every time.

Anyone know, by this time, were the frame tubes 1" and 1-1/8", or still metric? (Older Motos I know and love were metric.) Does it take a metric stem (22.0 mm)? Threads, English, French or Swiss? Moto changed threading a couple times over the years.

Replacement straddle cables for those brakes are unobtainium. It's the rarest type of Mafac straddle. Nothing wrong with it unless one gets kinked or frayed — the ones on there will probably last a lifetime and they work fine.

Mark B
I keep thinking of that saying, usually applied to cars, that the French follow no one and no one follows the French. This bike may not be the best candidate for me to learn on…probably better off with something more user friendly. If you were recommending a C&V to someone like myself just starting to work on their own bikes, what might that be?
Old 08-19-23, 06:36 PM
small ring

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 375 Posts
I keep thinking of that saying, usually applied to cars, that the French follow no one and no one follows the French. This bike may not be the best candidate for me to learn on…probably better off with something more user friendly. If you were recommending a C&V to someone like myself just starting to work on their own bikes, what might that be?
on the other hand, if you work through a French bike just about everything else will seem easy!
Old 08-19-23, 07:43 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,151 Posts
I’ll go. Late 80s Japanese, 700c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.