Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

expedition vs average gear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

expedition vs average gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
So what do you bring with you on an expedition level tour than you would not bring on an average tour of say 2 weeks or so in the US or Europe? Just in case stuff?
(I'd argue that one can face expedition-grade challenges in the US and Europe. Try US Southwest during the summer, or Northern Minnesota in February)

Three things I've carried in "expedition" settings: (1) several wide scope antibiotics as suggested by a physician; (2) an EPIRB; (3) a satellite phone (today 2+3 can be reasonably replaced by a SPOT in many circumstances).

I'd say that expedition-grade travel, defined as extended and challenging, requires extensive preparation, unless you are willing to seriously risk injuries or death. By preparation I mean learning about the challenges that you are likely to face, and the appropriate responses (and backup).

In that sense, a world tour isn't an expedition - in most parts of the world, people survive quite well. Even if your equipment breaks down, you only risk mild discomfort.

Regarding world touring, I'd suggest reading Tom Allen (this links to bike design. Peruse his website for several inspiring stories).
Old 07-15-17, 08:38 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shipwreck
In all seriousness I don't actually believe this to be the case. would love to have an older cannondale tourer. As of now I use a 1990 cannondale crit bike for light summer tours and find it pretty comfortable on long days, even with 25mm tires. And if I ever do any off road my old Gary Fischer kia tia would be the one I take.
but the main road tourers I grab are steel.
BUT..the questions is would you prefer AL out on an solo unsupported expedition riding mega-crappy-roads and a hundred miles from NOWHERE.
Old 07-15-17, 09:54 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I assume "expedition" to include lots of rough surfaces. I'd be looking at suspension forks/seatposts or at least a bike that permits 75mm wide tires.
Old 07-15-17, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
BUT..the questions is would you prefer AL out on an solo unsupported expedition riding mega-crappy-roads and a hundred miles from NOWHERE.
If you really are in the middle of nowhere and the frame breaks, it doesn't really matter what the frame is made of. That said, I've busted steel and aluminum frames in the middle of nowhere on camping trips. Shoved sticks/rebar/garbage in the tubes with a lot of epoxy and managed to limp back.
Old 07-15-17, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have no definite answer. Honestly it would just depend on what kind of bike it was, and how well it fit and felt day after day. A replaceable derailleur hanger would be a must on an aluminum bike. The Koga Miyata comes to mind as one that I would use. Never seen or ridden one but they look well made for the purpose.
As that is pretty far from my budget I would have no real problem with a good 26 inch aluminium mountain bike. Now if an aluminium walmart bike fit and rode great and could have good components put on it, I would probably still have some doubts choosing it. Never seen one break, just the crap parts erode off, but still.
Since I could afford a trucker along with some beefier wheels(pretty heavy at 220 rider weight), and its a proven bike I would have absolutely no problem with it. I have ridden one, and am baffled by the OP's dislike of them. A person is allowed to have opinions, but the constant put downs and insults grate after a while.

There have been some long arguments about the reparability of various materials here over the last year or so. Astonishingly both sides have both good arguments and poor. Even though I have opinions on it, I don't let them worry me to much other than just keeping an eye on what I am using and coping in whatever way if something happens. Which it can no matter what the material is.(I have broken more steel than aluminum)

If I had to take out on those mega crappy roads with no new purchases, I have to admit I would take my old steel Scott mountain bike over the aluminium Kai Tai, cause its ready to slap some racks on and go. Might put the trekking bars on it first, and some suntour ratcheting thumb shifters that I love instead of the rapid fire, just for dependability.
Then again my old Schwinn world tourist with its 700c 38mm tires single speed is a solid choice...

My touring philosophy is actually more along the lines of I would set out on an old Raleigh Sports three speed just for the joy of it.(actually did a short trip on one, walked a few hills but it was fun)
Worrying to much about having the most optimum bike and gear is something that is best left to the OP.

Last edited by shipwreck; 07-15-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 10:38 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes the constant put downs and insults do grate after a while. So there are several people here that should stop the insults leveled at me, and leave well enough alone. I would not have dug in so hard if I had been treated respectfully, instead of the severe foolishness that has been slung at me.
Personally I'm just as baffled about your opinion of the Trucker. But can we once and for all drop the pissing contest.
Old 07-16-17, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good water filter.
A few more extra spokes and/or extra Fiberfix.
An extra tire or two.
An extra pump.
An extra LHT

Other than that if anything else breaks you should still probably be ok for a while.
Old 07-16-17, 02:16 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes the constant put downs and insults do grate after a while. So there are several people here that should stop the insults leveled at me, and leave well enough alone. I would not have dug in so hard if I had been treated respectfully, instead of the severe foolishness that has been slung at me.
Personally I'm just as baffled about your opinion of the Trucker. But can we once and for all drop the pissing contest.
It would probably help if you told us a bit about yourself ... what touring experience do you have? Got pics?
Old 07-16-17, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18490 Post(s)
Liked 15,788 Times in 7,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I've seen FTFY used several times, but I can't really put it into context using the Urban Dictionary definition.
Look back at his quote of your post. He changed what you originally wrote by deleting "I think." FTFY or FIFY is a nice way of saying "I think you were close, but this is what you really meant.
Old 07-16-17, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18490 Post(s)
Liked 15,788 Times in 7,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It would probably help if you told us a bit about yourself ... what touring experience do you have? Got pics?
Below is a list of his tours and pics from them. The OP started this thread precisely because he knows many of us know he doesn't tour.
Old 07-16-17, 05:06 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Are you actually thinking of a biking expedition? If so where?

If I remember some of your earlier posts, you asked a question and then dismissed honest answers with comments like "Sill, silly silly.". "For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
Old 07-16-17, 08:07 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fantom1
A good water filter.
A few more extra spokes and/or extra Fiberfix.
An extra tire or two.
An extra pump.
An extra LHT

Other than that if anything else breaks you should still probably be ok for a while.
An extra bicycle might not be all that crazy. Might be easier to ship frame or parts from home rather than find them in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-16-17, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Espresso maker, just in case I want a cup. I don't at home but who knows? Condoms, battery operated fan, folding chair, extra thermarest, large PVC potato gun, umbrella, phrase books, film camera with variety of lenses, Ipod, bluetooth speakers and a solar panel to power them, large terry cloth towel, toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc.

And a Long Haul Trucker. Don't own one now, but for carrying all that its really the only choice.
You forgot the Duct Tape.
Old 07-16-17, 09:26 AM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
You forgot the Duct Tape.
I did leave a lot out, because I felt they may be a little debatable for including in an Expedition Type Tour packing list. But the Duct tape? Like zip ties, two part epoxy, and a pop riveter, some things are simply to obvious to bother listing.
Old 07-16-17, 11:36 AM

Personally I'm just as baffled about your opinion of the Trucker.
Yes your constant put downs and insults of the LHT do grate on those of us who consider it a very affordable & extremely effective touring machine. I and others base this opinion on tens of thousands of miles of touring-experience.

My Personal LHT Experience

Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean

Cape Spear Newfoundland

Atlantic Ocean

Pacific Ocean

BTW: I've done thousands of miles of touring on other bicycles and but for true expedition the LHT is top of heap, IMO.

Last edited by BigAura; 07-16-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

BTW: I've done thousands of miles of touring on other bicycles and but for true expedition the LHT is top of heap, IMO.
Surly uses expedition grade 4130 steel.
Old 07-16-17, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion
Surly uses expedition grade 4130 steel.
4130's not enough alloy for some, but along with overbuilt designs, Surly gets the job done.
Old 07-16-17, 01:24 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pop riveter
Interesting. I've never thought of a pop riveter. Have you ever used it? Thanks.
Old 07-16-17, 01:26 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4130's not enough alloy for some, but along with overbuilt designs, Surly gets the job done.
I don't have one anymore but I've always considered Surlys to be the Toyota Pickup of bikes.
Old 07-16-17, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like I've walked into the middle of a conversation. I don't see any of that in this thread?
Old 07-16-17, 03:44 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Interesting. I've never thought of a pop riveter. Have you ever used it? Thanks.
Could Have used it a couple of times but I forgot to pack a drill.
Old 07-16-17, 07:29 PM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
My Personal LHT Experience....

y'see, there's you're problem!
basing your opinion on actual experience,
thousands of miles of actual touring.
that's so, ummm, 70's i guess.
gone the way of disco.
nowadays we just read about stuff
and become instant experts.
Old 07-16-17, 08:43 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes your constant put downs and insults of the LHT do grate on those of us who consider it a very affordable & extremely effective touring machine. I and others base this opinion on tens of thousands of miles of touring-experience.

My Personal LHT Experience

Excellent!
Old 07-16-17, 08:48 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5884 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 1,520 Posts
Every bike has it's own fans and detractors. It's simply the nature of the beast, and is why I simply don't make and specific bike recommendations.

OTOH - \since all bikes have detractors, means you need teflon skin, and let the nonsense slide off.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-16-17, 08:51 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
This thread is progressing nicely. It looks like folks who do expedition tours ride often ride expedition ready 4130 steel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.