Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had built up a single speed for my son to ride to school. Last night he asked me to flip the wheel to the fixed side. So I showed him how to do it, readjusted the brake pads, etc. As we were finishing up, I asked him "What's the one thing you have to remember?"

"Never stop pedaling."

Attaboy!
Old 09-16-16, 11:38 AM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Very cool.

He'll still forget though. Probably won't get bucked though, especially since I'm guessing it's not a huge gear. I've almost gotten bucked multiple times at the track. I remember to pedal again about halfway through the pedal stroke as I start coming off the seat.
Old 09-16-16, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Very cool.

He'll still forget though. Probably won't get bucked though, especially since I'm guessing it's not a huge gear. I've almost gotten bucked multiple times at the track. I remember to pedal again about halfway through the pedal stroke as I start coming off the seat.
Oh, I know it. The bike will remind him in ways that Dad cannot.
Old 09-16-16, 11:50 AM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Yeah, with some wicked awesome skids, bro.
Old 09-16-16, 03:57 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I moved over to Edinburgh last September. I was just going to ask if you wanted to catch a ride while you were over, and then I read the last line of your post. It's a pretty great city/country.

The road riding/racing is terrific too and there are 3 or 4 different group rides that leave the Commie pool starting at 9:30 Saturday morning.
You should have,! I'd have rented a bike if I had someone to ride with!

I'm actually here for a work-related conference that occupies all day Fri & Sat. I had planned to rent a tourist bike & tool around each morning. But the traffic just seems a little dicey to me.

Sunday starts the mountain biking phase of my trip, I am riding Glentress, Ballater, Culzean Castle and Drumlanrigh Castle.
Old 09-18-16, 05:03 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Daniel got his collegiate C MTB license. By request USAC bumped him to a B before his 1st race. Two weeks ago won his B (double lapped half) and got his A upgrade. Yesterday he did his 1st A. Got dropped at start and DNF. Facebook posted that he got to ride around a nice ski resort and see the view which does not happen in racing - much.
So mom is telling dad that the upgrade was too soon and there will be a lack of confidence.
Coach talked to Daniel and dad talked to coach (that is how it works) and seems he did about everything wrong. Good wake-up call. For some very odd reason I think Daniel, like dad, need's some crisis to get going. Or, mom is right. Mom is usually right.
Old 09-18-16, 07:32 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2646 Post(s)
Liked 3,155 Times in 1,662 Posts
Where is he at school?

Some road and mtb collegiate programs have harbored some seriously elite riders for sure.
Old 09-18-16, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8292 Post(s)
Liked 9,070 Times in 4,487 Posts
Today near the end of the ride a guy ran a red light as I was entering an intersection. I saw his truck and realized it was too late, but steered right and wondered when he was going to hit me. Then he started skidding and I thought I might make it but my friend behind would get nailed. Somehow neither of us got hit, but it was a pretty screwed up thing to have happen.
I can still see the truck coming toward me, it was surreal.
Old 09-18-16, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk
Where is he at school?

Some road and mtb collegiate programs have harbored some seriously elite riders for sure.
Colorado. US Air Force Academy. Plenty of things were done wrong and he slept in a tent the night before the race. Just "fun" right now and learning that the little things just might matter.
Old 09-18-16, 09:14 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Doge
Colorado. US Air Force Academy. Plenty of things were done wrong and he slept in a tent the night before the race. Just "fun" right now and learning that the little things just might matter.
gotcha.

Originally Posted by big john
Today near the end of the ride a guy ran a red light as I was entering an intersection. I saw his truck and realized it was too late, but steered right and wondered when he was going to hit me. Then he started skidding and I thought I might make it but my friend behind would get nailed. Somehow neither of us got hit, but it was a pretty screwed up thing to have happen.
geez! glad that you're OK.
Old 09-19-16, 01:24 AM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by rideaz
Yay! I'm glad you are having a nice time. Your photos make me homesick. I was lucky to have grown up on those streets but never really appreciated it at the time.
I know you will enjoy the rest of the country just as much! Keep me updated :-)
Spent all day yesterday at Glentress Mountain Bike Park with a guide/instructor. What an awesome place! It was perfect for me since I just took up mtb-ing 8 weeks ago. We climbed up to the top from the lower parking lot on a combo of fire roads & blue trail and even a little bit of red. We wound up going up above Spooky Woods on a fire road that T-intersects with the black trail because there's a new section of blue up there, at the very top there's a tower if that helps describe where we went.

Then we rode every blue trail back down. And up and down all day until I'd ridden all of them 2-3 times.

So nice too to see so many people out riding and especially so many kids. Everybody again completely well-mannered and reasonable.

I really enjoyed the guide too, worked well for me- I got a some good instruction & didnt have to pull the trail map out 50 times to figure out where I was.

Old 09-19-16, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how dare he have fun in college.
Old 09-19-16, 06:09 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
how dare he have fun in college.
I got a sneak peak at the forthcoming list of top party schools. Air Force academy? #1
Old 09-19-16, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Spent all day yesterday at Glentress Mountain Bike Park with a guide/instructor. What an awesome place! It was perfect for me since I just took up mtb-ing 8 weeks ago. We climbed up to the top from the lower parking lot on a combo of fire roads & blue trail and even a little bit of red. We wound up going up above Spooky Woods on a fire road that T-intersects with the black trail because there's a new section of blue up there, at the very top there's a tower if that helps describe where we went.

Then we rode every blue trail back down. And up and down all day until I'd ridden all of them 2-3 times.

So nice too to see so many people out riding and especially so many kids. Everybody again completely well-mannered and reasonable.

I really enjoyed the guide too, worked well for me- I got a some good instruction & didnt have to pull the trail map out 50 times to figure out where I was.

Awesome! Glad you liked it! :-)
Old 09-19-16, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I got a sneak peak at the forthcoming list of top party schools. Air Force academy? #1
After chuckling at your post, I had all sorts of getting tail in Tailhook puns forming in my head when it occurred to me that having a hook on the tail probably meant it was naval pilots, but my memory is hazy and I'm too lazy to look.

Edit: not in any way to demean the service of topflightpro's friend or any other service person.

Last edited by himespau; 09-19-16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I went to a wedding this weekend. The groom was a Naval pilot.

As for Daniel's mtb racing, he'll get there. The technical nature of it is different from road, and that is where he likely is going to be challenged. With his fitness and strength, he likely will crush guys on trails with lots of climbing. But they'll catch him on the downhills.

Last edited by topflightpro; 09-19-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Had the nephews over to rip out our kitchen flooring which consisted of glue down vinyl. Give them a simple task, and kids are borderline useless. Give them a power tool, and suddenly they become employees of the month. One was about to pass out from heat but still didn't want to hand it over!
Old 09-19-16, 09:30 AM

Pretty cool pic and looks like a great trip.
Do they go both directions on the trail?
AND...
When you come head to head with another cyclist do you dodge to your left or right?
Old 09-19-16, 09:42 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
**** man! Glad you got out alive and unscathed.

my race videos
Old 09-19-16, 11:14 AM

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
me and friend went riding through a wildloop preserve loop and we were leisurely riding (17-18mph on flat) , when we passed two guys riding together. As we passed and minded our own business, one of the guys we past decided to sprint , full on in drops out of saddle , on our inside line nearly brushing shoulders with us..... Albeit coming to a sharp right turn bend. He proceeds to lock up the brakes, skid, go off the road, and nearly hit a tree. I was literally in shock and awe. We have determined he was trying to race us? The whole situation made no sense whatsoever. lol
Old 09-19-16, 11:33 AM
Has a magic bike

Pretty cool pic and looks like a great trip.
Do they go both directions on the trail?
AND...
When you come head to head with another cyclist do you dodge to your left or right?
The trails are mostly one way (in theory). But right when we first got started, there was a guy mistakenly coming down a climbing trail, heading straight for me. He managed to brake to almost a stop. I dodged right and we nearly collided. Otherwise though, everything was very orderly.
Old 09-19-16, 11:44 AM

... I dodged right and we nearly collided. Otherwise though, everything was very orderly.
I noticed even walking on the island - and in Kenya where I lived the reflex collision avoidance is the way traffic goes. I could see issues on mixed direction trails.
Old 09-19-16, 11:59 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
me and friend went riding through a wildloop preserve loop and we were leisurely riding (17-18mph on flat) , when we passed two guys riding together. As we passed and minded our own business, one of the guys we past decided to sprint , full on in drops out of saddle , on our inside line nearly brushing shoulders with us..... Albeit coming to a sharp right turn bend. He proceeds to lock up the brakes, skid, go off the road, and nearly hit a tree. I was literally in shock and awe. We have determined he was trying to race us? The whole situation made no sense whatsoever. lol
Awesome.

Did you ask him wtf was going on?

my race videos
Old 09-19-16, 12:22 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by jdms mvp
+1
this is awesome lol.

I would have said something like: "Nice!", "Nice one" or "Sweeet!", unless he looked hurt. Then I would stop and see if he was OK.

Hopefully he was OK, which of course makes it OK for you to laugh at him .
Old 09-19-16, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Speaking of Scotland, here are a few pictures:

Beginning the hike up Ben Nevis, that peak on the left (Highest in U.K.).
It's about a 7 hour round-trip hike at a steady, but not crazy pace.

A little over 1/2 way up Ben Nevis:

3/4 of the way up. Stopped to text back & forth with work about some server problems. Sketchy signal

Scenic stop leaving the Highlands, heading south to England

Canoeing on Loch Ness

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-19-16 at 12:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.