Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk me out of getting a crosstrail!!

So I’m looking for a bike to ride around my rural area to go fishing and maybe bikepacking mainly on the road but short dirt trails are definitely a possibility, the absolute furthest trip would probably be about 40 miles round trip can someone talk me out of getting a crosstrail or is it a pretty solid choice ? What’s the preferred model? I’d like it to be as reliable as possible.... or should I still be looking at a rockhopper
Old 04-08-20, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought the CST Critters 29x2.1 and can confirm there is no problem! They are a bit tall but clear the rear kickstand mount by about 5mm. Width wise there is not a problem.
Likes For metzoid235:
Old 04-08-20, 06:35 PM

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by metzoid235
I bought the CST Critters 29x2.1 and can confirm there is no problem! They are a bit tall but clear the rear kickstand mount by about 5mm. Width wise there is not a problem.
When you are able to, it would be interesting to see pictures! Would like to see the tires and how they look on the bike. Curious on how much you paid for them?
Old 04-08-20, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jkesrnicla
So I’m looking for a bike to ride around my rural area to go fishing and maybe bikepacking mainly on the road but short dirt trails are definitely a possibility, the absolute furthest trip would probably be about 40 miles round trip can someone talk me out of getting a crosstrail or is it a pretty solid choice ? What’s the preferred model? I’d like it to be as reliable as possible.... or should I still be looking at a rockhopper
Rockhopper is a bit better suited for light single tracking mountain biking. Although it is close to being a hybrid but gearing wise and such, you might be happier with the Crosstrail for what you described what you want.

I personally believe the Sport is the best bang for the buck.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 04-08-20, 07:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
When you are able to, it would be interesting to see pictures! Would like to see the tires and how they look on the bike. Curious on how much you paid for them?
Sure thing! They were 19euros each but my local bike workshop gave me two for 30eur. It seems I cannot post images until I hit 10 posts so i'll have to upload at later date.
Likes For metzoid235:
Old 04-09-20, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm pretty sure CST = Cheng Shin Tire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber
Oh, they produce Maxxis tires. OK, have experience with those. Nice tires. Thanks for the link hokiefyd!
Old 04-09-20, 11:33 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think there are at least three lines/brands. Maxxis is definitely a main line brand. They also sell tires under a CST brand. They also make tires for various "house" brands (or non-branded). You can see many of these on Walmart Schwann, etc. The "Cheng Shin Tire" name will usually be molded in the rubber somewhere on the tire.

I think only the Maxxis line is considered a "good" brand, though I think the CST-labeled tires are getting better over time.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-12-20, 08:36 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone else have problems with the fit of their Crosstrail? I have to say, I have never been fully comfortable on this bike. It's the weirdest thing. It's an XL and i'm tall (1.84m with long arms and femurs), and the stem is 110mm, so it should fit just fine. I even tried a brooks. My newest attempt to get the fit right is the purchase of a 130mm adjustable stem. It could be just me getting older and heavier!
Old 04-13-20, 08:17 PM
Golf by D*y Rid* by *ight

Bikes: 2020 Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey everyone. There's an outdated version of this question, so I figured I'd ask it again. Was thinking about the Sirrus X 3.0 but want the versatility of the Crosstrail since I'd want to be able to take it to light trails. I don't know too much about bikes these days, so what's the main difference between the Crosstrail Elite ($1,025) vs the Crosstrail Sport ($689). Your honest feedback is appreciated! Stay safe.
Old 04-14-20, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bicicleta810
Hey everyone. There's an outdated version of this question, so I figured I'd ask it again. Was thinking about the Sirrus X 3.0 but want the versatility of the Crosstrail since I'd want to be able to take it to light trails. I don't know too much about bikes these days, so what's the main difference between the Crosstrail Elite ($1,025) vs the Crosstrail Sport ($689). Your honest feedback is appreciated! Stay safe.
The way I see it, both bikes are same with exception to 3 things:

1. The Elite has a slightly better front suspension fork. But it's still a coil spring and not really sure how much better it is over the NEX.
2. The Elite has a 2x10 rather than a 2x9 gearing range. This is a personal decision on if that is better or not. I myself still wonder if 10 speeds are worth the extra $.
3. The colors seem to be more nice, especially the Gloss Black Chrome/Chrome/Charcoal, but this is a personal preference.

I am confused why the Elite only has a 140mm rear rotor. When the sport has the 160 for better braking. Strange to cheapen out that way.

This is why I typically state the Sport is the better bang for the buck. Especially if you get the sport for only $689.

I hate to say this on the Crosstrail forum, but if you want something like the Elite, it might be better to look elsewhere price wise.

Examples:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-1-disc-2019 Roam 1 has a better air fork, nice shimano brakes, similar gearing, and tubeless ready.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...ss-20-men-bike Only $800, but save the $200 or so and upgrade the suspension to a Rockshocks Paragon. Making this a much better bike than the Crosstrail Elite.
Old 04-14-20, 08:22 AM

Does anyone else have problems with the fit of their Crosstrail? I have to say, I have never been fully comfortable on this bike. It's the weirdest thing. It's an XL and i'm tall (1.84m with long arms and femurs), and the stem is 110mm, so it should fit just fine. I even tried a brooks. My newest attempt to get the fit right is the purchase of a 130mm adjustable stem. It could be just me getting older and heavier!
Might be a good idea to discuss this with your LBS for any suggestions on adjusting the bike to better fit you.
Old 04-14-20, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
That's the opposite of my Crosstrail experience! Mine is a medium and I'm 5'8" and my 2018 Crosstrail Sport is the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I did get a new seat - I went with the Selle Respiro which was a great move on my part. I'm 64 and ride typically 17-24 miles several times per week both on and off road here in Florida. My previous Trek FX was faster on pavement but I spent a few years trying to make it more comfortable with grip, seat, and bar extensions etc.
Everyone is different - leg, torso, arm length and weight distribution so even similar sized people may have a totally different experience on the same bike.
Old 04-18-20, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of great content here!

Very new to cycling - haven't ridden a bike for 10+years, decided to buy a Specialized CrossTrail Hybrid w/ Hydraulic Brakes as it was on offer.

I've got myself a cheapie pump, bottle holder. Looking to get a phone holder - what would you all recommend? What else should I keep my eye out for?

I imagine this will become a very expensive hobby =)
Old 04-18-20, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dLockers
Lots of great content here!

Very new to cycling - haven't ridden a bike for 10+years, decided to buy a Specialized CrossTrail Hybrid w/ Hydraulic Brakes as it was on offer.

I've got myself a cheapie pump, bottle holder. Looking to get a phone holder - what would you all recommend? What else should I keep my eye out for?

I imagine this will become a very expensive hobby =)
Multi tool, possibly saddle bag with spare tube, get ready for possible saddle and pedal changes and eventual or depending how long of rides you go on, grip changes as well.

IF riding early in mornings or late afternoon into evenings, study up on some good lights.

I refuse to setup a cell phone in my cockpit, so someone else would need to offer advise on that. I simply put my muted cell phone in the saddle bag.

What kind of cheapie pump did you get? Floor or the mini pump? I have found out the hard way that some cheap pumps are only worth seeing and not using.
Old 04-19-20, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey guys new member here. Just picked up a lightly used Specialized CrossTrail Expert Carbon a two weeks ago ( specialized.com/us/en/crosstrail-expert-carbon/p/128827 exact one, color and all). I've put about 100 miles on it, but the rear brake has no hydraulic pressure now and became dangerous to ride. I love the bike and want to get on it asap but need to fix the braking....

I dropped it off to get a full service as the rear brake has had issues since i purchased and they believe the TRP Flow Set Control for the rear hydraulic brake needs to be replaced... I had a few questions i was hoping someone could answer...

1. Has anyone used the warranty on the bike? It has a 2 year on it, as well as TRP says it, but how to I exercise it? My 2 years hits on April 27!!
2. Can the TRP FSC be separated and replaced with a different braking system without having to change the shiftier? I know they are connected currently
3. Where / how can i find replacement for just this piece if that is what i need? I see no general number to call, just a few shops located in the US of which none are near me! A phone number, email, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-19-20, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by amineo22
Hey guys new member here. Just picked up a lightly used Specialized CrossTrail Expert Carbon a two weeks ago ( specialized.com/us/en/crosstrail-expert-carbon/p/128827 exact one, color and all). I've put about 100 miles on it, but the rear brake has no hydraulic pressure now and became dangerous to ride. I love the bike and want to get on it asap but need to fix the braking....

I dropped it off to get a full service as the rear brake has had issues since i purchased and they believe the TRP Flow Set Control for the rear hydraulic brake needs to be replaced... I had a few questions i was hoping someone could answer...

1. Has anyone used the warranty on the bike? It has a 2 year on it, as well as TRP says it, but how to I exercise it? My 2 years hits on April 27!!
2. Can the TRP FSC be separated and replaced with a different braking system without having to change the shiftier? I know they are connected currently
3. Where / how can i find replacement for just this piece if that is what i need? I see no general number to call, just a few shops located in the US of which none are near me! A phone number, email, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!
Warranty work should be completed by the Specialized LBS. Problem is, I'm not sure if warranty is transferable to 2nd owners? You would have to take a look at online owners manuals or Specialized sites to verify.

Your 2nd question, I looked up via youtube and saw you asking the same question of James the Bike Guy. I'm assuming you understand the two can be separated by watching the video. I unfortunately don't find any specific replacement part and am betting you will need to talk to LBS on parts. Seems to me that not many bikes are using this system, so it maybe more difficult to find replacement parts. But I could be wrong.

You may need to contact TRP/Tektro themselves for replacement parts: https://trpcycling.com/

On a side note, my experience with Tektro brakes, is that an occasional burbing of the fluid is needed to get any air bubbles out of system. But in your case, wonder if you had a leakage to require replacement?

Last edited by travbikeman; 04-19-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 06:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warranty work should be completed by the Specialized LBS. Problem is, I'm not sure if warranty is transferable to 2nd owners? You would have to take a look at online owners manuals or Specialized sites to verify.

Your 2nd question, I looked up via youtube and saw you asking the same question of James the Bike Guy. I'm assuming you understand the two can be separated by watching the video. I unfortunately don't find any specific replacement part and am betting you will need to talk to LBS on parts. Seems to me that not many bikes are using this system, so it maybe more difficult to find replacement parts. But I could be wrong.

You may need to contact TRP/Tektro themselves for replacement parts: trpcycling.com/

On a side note, my experience with Tektro brakes, is that an occasional burbing of the fluid is needed to get any air bubbles out of system. But in your case, wonder if you had a leakage to require replacement?
Thanks for the info Trav... I do know the original owner and he said we can file under him if need be...

I understand they can be separated to replace 1 specific component, but if i cannot find the replacement part, or these are rare / may continue to have issues, i was wondering if a new brake system could be installed and use the existing component for the shifting? My other temp solution would be can i swap the rear and front hydraulic brake until the shop the bike was purchased from opens back up after COVID?

I had been on TRP's site, but when looking up contact it just lists a bunch of individual shops, no corporate number so i was a bit confused on how that would work for warranty but i will go down the list and hopefully find one open (none local to Orlando, FL) and see what the next step is...

I was hoping that was the case, the shop bled the lines twice and now claim they can see a leak and air seaping through the TRP flow set control component at the handle and needs replacement??

I just want it fixed so i can ride it, but also fixed properly and not ghetto rigged blah! Thanks again for your help
Old 04-20-20, 07:25 AM

, i was wondering if a new brake system could be installed and use the existing component for the shifting? My other temp solution would be can i swap the rear and front hydraulic brake until the shop the bike was purchased from opens back up after COVID?

I had been on TRP's site, but when looking up contact it just lists a bunch of individual shops, no corporate number so i was a bit confused on how that would work for warranty but i will go down the list and hopefully find one open (none local to Orlando, FL) and see what the next step is...

I was hoping that was the case, the shop bled the lines twice and now claim they can see a leak and air seaping through the TRP flow set control component at the handle and needs replacement??

I just want it fixed so i can ride it, but also fixed properly and not ghetto rigged blah! Thanks again for your help
As long as the shifter is what connects to the handlebar and not the brake lever, you should be able to use it as a separate component and purchase any brake system you want. It's unfortunate that the component is seeping but be happy it's caught early and not when you may have really needed the brake to work.

I will admit, (and this is aimed at Specialized cost cutting efforts not the OP) I'm a bit disappointed in Specialized for putting these kind of components on a $1600 bike. Micro-shift and TRP brakes are typically found on bikes under $1000. This Carbon Elite should have had a Deore or SLX shifter and a nice Shimano brake system for that price of the bike.

There are other aspects of the bike that makes me go...what and why? I would expect this price range of a hybrid bike to have air suspension (other bike makers like Canyon and Giant do), not a coil, but to me, it's odd that it has thru-axle's on a coil suspension.

Now this isn't a rant again'st just the Crosstrail, but seems as if Specialized is doing this with more of their bikes.
Old 04-20-20, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as the shifter is what connects to the handlebar and not the brake lever, you should be able to use it as a separate component and purchase any brake system you want. It's unfortunate that the component is seeping but be happy it's caught early and not when you may have really needed the brake to work.

I will admit, (and this is aimed at Specialized cost cutting efforts not the OP) I'm a bit disappointed in Specialized for putting these kind of components on a $1600 bike. Micro-shift and TRP brakes are typically found on bikes under $1000. This Carbon Elite should have had a Deore or SLX shifter and a nice Shimano brake system for that price of the bike.

There are other aspects of the bike that makes me go...what and why? I would expect this price range of a hybrid bike to have air suspension (other bike makers like Canyon and Giant do), not a coil, but to me, it's odd that it has thru-axle's on a coil suspension.

Now this isn't a rant again'st just the Crosstrail, but seems as if Specialized is doing this with more of their bikes.
Thanks again Trav you're awesome.

I've been reading more and more about that... a bit disappointed as well. Sorry for my biking ignorance.... Can i replace just the shiftier and brake system and not deal with future issues or is that a huge deal? It seems its going to be costly to find this replacement part if even possible... I don't want it to look like a cluster on the handlebar, and also don't want to deal with this again in the future.
Old 04-20-20, 08:33 AM

Thanks again Trav you're awesome.

I've been reading more and more about that... a bit disappointed as well. Sorry for my biking ignorance.... Can i replace just the shiftier and brake system and not deal with future issues or is that a huge deal? It seems its going to be costly to find this replacement part if even possible... I don't want it to look like a cluster on the handlebar, and also don't want to deal with this again in the future.
If the Micro-shift does connect directly to the handlebar, it should be fine. They do produce good products, but it is the more affordable product.

If you are still uncomfortable with it, one alternative would be here: Deore 10 Speed Shifter

Have also read that these affordable brakes are surprisingly good quality and brake very well: Shimano MT200 Brakes

For a little bit more, you could get a shifter with a gear window if that's important to you. Shimano also has a variety of brakes that cost more, might offer a bit more performance depending on your needs.
Old 04-20-20, 08:42 AM

Heh, forgot that my new Sub Cross and Scale has the Shimano M315's on it. The MT200's are replacements for the M315. These are good solid brakes. I like how the lever can be adjusted to be closer or further away from the handlebar. But are strong brakes and quiet. (My Tektro's on the Crosstrail have always been noisy for the past 5 years).
Old 04-20-20, 09:08 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Heh, forgot that my new Sub Cross and Scale has the Shimano M315's on it. The MT200's are replacements for the M315. These are good solid brakes. I like how the lever can be adjusted to be closer or further away from the handlebar. But are strong brakes and quiet. (My Tektro's on the Crosstrail have always been noisy for the past 5 years).
Shimano hydraulic brakes seem to be "better" in general compared with Tektro brakes (including TRP). I have the M315s on two bikes and they've been very good on both.

The BR-M315 is an Altus M2000 level component (at least that's how Shimano categorize it today): link. I can't find anything on the BR-MT200 on Shimano's website (the brake itself), but the BL-MT200 (the brake lever) is listed as an Acera M390 level component: link. That's both a slightly higher and slightly older groupset than the Altus M2000 groupset, which is where the M315 lives. The current Acera group (M3000, link) has the BR-M395 and the BR-M3050. And then Alivio (M4000, link) also features the BR-M395, and adds the very nice-looking dark grey BR-M4050.

I actually can't find a current page on the BR-MT200 (assuming that's its full designation). Here is Shimano's brakes page: link. I wonder if the brake caliper itself is called something other than BR-MT200.
Old 04-20-20, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Shimano hydraulic brakes seem to be "better" in general compared with Tektro brakes (including TRP). I have the M315s on two bikes and they've been very good on both.

The BR-M315 is an Altus M2000 level component (at least that's how Shimano categorize it today): link. I can't find anything on the BR-MT200 on Shimano's website (the brake itself), but the BL-MT200 (the brake lever) is listed as an Acera M390 level component: link. That's both a slightly higher and slightly older groupset than the Altus M2000 groupset, which is where the M315 lives. The current Acera group (M3000, link) has the BR-M395 and the BR-M3050. And then Alivio (M4000, link) also features the BR-M395, and adds the very nice-looking dark grey BR-M4050.

I actually can't find a current page on the BR-MT200 (assuming that's its full designation). Here is Shimano's brakes page: link. I wonder if the brake caliper itself is called something other than BR-MT200.
The brake Lever page does show recommended calipers: BR-MT200, BR-UR300

I can find the BR_UR300 but like you don't see any MT200 calipers. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../BR-UR300.html

Not really sure how much of a difference there would be between the two.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 05-04-20, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New used Crosstrail Expert Disc owner.

Hello, just bought myself a barely used 2015 model Crosstrail expert disc and had a few questions;

i havent rode a bike for nearly 15 years so had to do a bit research but ihave done the stardard seat height setup (leg almost straight at 6pm.

Fore / aft so that knee plumb goes through pedal spindle.

I still get a little discomfort in what i think are the sit bones (feels like a slightly bruised bum after 10miles or so).

also hands around then palm / wrist cant quite get comfy, do i need to raise the handle bars slightly? They are currently just above level with the seat (the seat is level also). It seems to have two spacers already in use, can more be added?

lastly - does anyone suggest bar ends? If so which ones?
a few other things are on my ‘get list’ to. Mudgaurds, saddlebag, lights, tool kit if anyone has some suggestions.

quite alot for a first post but any help appreciated!
Old 05-04-20, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ad_182_uk
Hello, just bought myself a barely used 2015 model Crosstrail expert disc and had a few questions;

i havent rode a bike for nearly 15 years so had to do a bit research but ihave done the stardard seat height setup (leg almost straight at 6pm.

Fore / aft so that knee plumb goes through pedal spindle.

I still get a little discomfort in what i think are the sit bones (feels like a slightly bruised bum after 10miles or so).

also hands around then palm / wrist cant quite get comfy, do i need to raise the handle bars slightly? They are currently just above level with the seat (the seat is level also). It seems to have two spacers already in use, can more be added?

lastly - does anyone suggest bar ends? If so which ones?
a few other things are on my ‘get list’ to. Mudgaurds, saddlebag, lights, tool kit if anyone has some suggestions.

quite alot for a first post but any help appreciated!
Remember, you don't want your leg to be completely straight 6 oclock when pedaling. You want your leg to keep some angle when at the 6 position otherwise you are going to hurt your knees and joints.

Saddles are hugely personal depending on your size and where your sit bones are at. Take a look at various youtube video's on how to measure your sit bones. A few years ago, I bought a saddle that was too large. After riding it I could tell where my sit bones were at by the indentations and ended up getting a much more nice and proper sized saddle. Proper fitting makes riding so much better.

I am a big fan of Ergon and various other similar grips. There are numerous bar ends that are available for your choosing. I myself am very happy with my Ergon GP5's. Remember, you want to keep the grips angled to help support your hand from letting your wrist bend.

See the following:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.