Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What cycling gear have you stopped using and why?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What cycling gear have you stopped using and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 09:57 PM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Cateye wireless computer. The head unit went missing about a year ago. Meant to replace it, but it hasn't happened. Speed never mattered much and the miles are the same as they ever were.
Old 09-03-15, 09:52 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I still use "clipless pedals" very occasionally, but have given it up for most purposes, and may give it up entirely.

I used to use a rack and panniers for most riding, but now just use a messenger bag for commuting and even for some shopping.

I now rarely use any cycling-specific clothing, including the shorts and the gloves. Cycling shorts don't seem to give me any advantage. Same with the gloves. I often wear plain cotton gloves or gardening gloves on the bike, though.

Bike computers. i used to have one, and I loved it. So I got another, and it was different from the first one, and I got confused. With each additional computer I've bought, I've become more confused. Now I don't bother. Ahh!

Maps. Okay, I still love maps, but they're so hard to find, and so fragile... I rarely use them any more.
Old 09-03-15, 11:05 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I no longer wear bike shorts as I find them sweaty, uncomfortable, and ugly. Jerseys because they are uncomfortable, don't like the back pockets, ugly, and generic active wear provides all the benefits at a much lower cost.
Road clipless as the shoes are useless off the bike. Skinny tires as they are uncomfortable and not the best choice for most of my riding conditions.
I still have bikes with drops, rim brakes, and derailleurs, but consider them as back up bikes or for recreational riding.
Old 09-03-15, 12:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I Moved close in , I stopped using my Road bike . mostly .. take out the Brommy. wear regular clothes like sweat pants.

touring rig hauls Groceries..
Old 09-03-15, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I used to always wear cycling gloves, but a couple of years ago I decided it was just too much trouble especially if my bike trips had a couple of stops.
I have to either wear gloves or use sunscreen because of precancerous lesions on my hands.
Old 09-03-15, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Giving up on clipless pedals. Switching over to platforms.

Only wear a helmet on Spanish highways, where it is now required. I find wearing a baseball cap underneath rather uncomfortable, so I've gone over to a Visor Buff.
Old 09-03-15, 08:48 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I stopped using rear view mirrors on all but one of my bikes. Turns out that my head's swivel function is sufficient unless I'm traveling at fairly high speeds.

I still carry my phone, but I've tried to memorize routes rather than rely upon Google Maps. There's no service on long stretches of my rides, and I don't quite trust the maps to download and store properly before a ride.

Otherwise, I've sadly increased the amount of cycling gear I use. Side effect of winter, plus getting older and more whiny when things hurt or go numb after riding.
Old 09-09-15, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 328 Posts
I also ditched the gloves. I know there are many reasons why people might find gloves useful but in my opinion padded gloves are not a long-term fix to a poor bike fit. I would ditch the helmet for leisurely rides but the wife insists that I wear one. Just as well, as I don't fully trust drivers near where I live and work. I stopped using a cycling computer or GPS unit some time ago. Part of me misses the data, but another part of me appreciates the simplicity and lack of distraction. Recently I started logging my rides on Strava again using my smartphone. The phone stays in my pocket during the ride and I only look at the data afterwards. Like others have mentioned, I also went away from SPDs or toe clips in favor of dual-sided platform/SPD pedals, at least on the commuter bike. My road and cross bikes are still fitted with regular SPD pedals but I'd like to get another set of the platform/SPD types for the cross bike in the future.