Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Confused about the stack/reach ratio

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Confused about the stack/reach ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
your graphic doesn't show that though, its showing the toptube length staying the same 570mm, not the frame reach from the BB, that is why the seat tube angle is affecting the overall reach
The frame reach from the bb is also changing its just not shown as its own measurement.
Old 10-31-18, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You can't compare stack, reach, or their ratio without knowing head tube and seat tube angle as they fundamentally affect each value.

The frame reach from the bb is also changing its just not shown as its own measurement.
then how does that show that frame reach as measured from the BB being affected by seat tube angle or head tube angle?
Old 10-31-18, 10:20 AM

Saddle setback is listed, subtract from saddle to bar and that’s the reach value. We’re fudging to illustrate but it’s ok as stem length is a constant. Reach changes as the seat tube angle changes but top tube stays constant. There is the uncounted reach from bb to seattube clamp which needs to be accounted for for fit but is not seen in the regular reach value.

Since this is how different bikes of the same “size” are often designed it makes determining proper fit dependent on more than just one or two measurements, or their ratio. I’m on my phone if this still doesn’t make sense I’ll see what I can explain of find to help once I get in front of a computer.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 10-31-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 10:31 AM

Saddle setback is listed, subtract from saddle to bar and that’s the reach value. We’re fudging to illustrate but it’s ok as stem length is a constant. Reach changes as the seat tube angle changes but top tube stays constant. There is the uncounted reach from bb to seattube clamp which needs to be accounted for for fit but is not seen in the regular reach value.

Since this is how different bikes of the same “size” are often designed it makes determining proper fit dependent on more than just one or two measurements, or their ratio. I’m on my phone if this still doesn’t make sense I’ll see what I can explain of find to help once I get in front of a computer.
Which is why frame reach and stack numbers are now included and used instead of frame size since they are independent of seat angle etc. It should be pretty obvious that accounting for different seat angles is handled by saddle fore/aft position to keep it constant between different frames. Your image isn't to scale, but if you pull out a protractor and ruler and draw out two frames with different seat tube angles you'll see how easy it is to match the saddle and bar position if the frame reach is the same. Seat tube angle and subsequent seatpost setback is usually incorporated into the design moreso with regards to clearance and chainstay length considerations
Old 10-31-18, 11:49 AM

I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing.
Old 10-31-18, 11:53 AM

This is what is generally referred to as frame stack and reach, are you saying these are affected by seat tube angle and head tube angle?
Old 10-31-18, 12:31 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think people in this thread are on on at least 4 different pages, Few are actually talking about the same thing.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-31-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 11:06 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
In color...

Old 11-01-18, 10:19 AM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
production frames have often had weird choices as far as reach goes. Most times, larger frames have reach/top tube length that is too short for the average tall person. Some companies have had the same top tube length on all of their frames. It's definitely worth looking at reach, I'm sure you'll find some anomalies. I'm not sure that a size range of a given model with the same ratio makes sense either, but I have never been in the position of guessing what the best measurements are for a random population walking into a bike shop looking for a bike that fits them.
Old 11-17-18, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
So based on this the Slate would have me in a more aggressive position but that is clearly not the case.
Not quite... The S/R ratio is only going to work for comparing the fit between two frames of the same size.

Visualize it like this: if you take a frame with a certain S/R ratio and draw a line between the top of the head tube and the BB, any frame whose headset falls along that line will have the same S/R ratio. That can include a frame that fits you, but also a frame that is three sizes too small (or big).

So, when you're comparing S/R ratios, you also need to only look at frames that have a stack in the range you want.