Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

$5 Split Tube Moto-Mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

$5 Split Tube Moto-Mixte

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 08:36 AM
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
There's one just like the OP on the Atlanta CL today for $200.
You talking about the German-market "Club" model that's listed? If yes, IMO, tubing is inferior. Fun graphics though!
Old 12-10-19, 08:42 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
The other Big Brother in champagne gold...
Old 12-10-19, 01:20 PM

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Big Brother in gun metal gray....
Great looking Bike. What wheels are on your Grand Touring? The one I found is sporting Rigida 27" x 1 1/14 wheels with small flange hubs, and I'm not sure if they are original or replacements...thanks!
Old 12-10-19, 01:30 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Originally Posted by OutnBack
Great looking Bike. What wheels are on your Grand Touring? The one I found is sporting Rigida 27" x 1 1/14 wheels with small flange hubs, and I'm not sure if they are original or replacements...thanks!
TX, OutnBack. Both of mine are '78 models that were probably made within a week of each other. They have the Weinmann concave rims with presta valves. I have found them to be very strong. They never seem to need trueing. As far as the Rigida rims go, Motobecane did use them at least prior to the concave Weinmann rims.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 12-10-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by OutnBack
Just added a couple of things...
Old 12-10-19, 04:02 PM
PM me your cotters

There's one just like the OP on the Atlanta CL today for $200.
Nevermind, I see it now. It's actually OutnBack's bike you found listed in Decatur.

I couldn't find it earlier, but it triggered on one of my watched keyword alerts 30mins ago because OutnBack is spamming a bunch of rando keywords at the bottom of the listing.

Good luck on the sale. But chill with the keyword spam on the CL listings! Everyone I talk to says that drives them almost as crazy as people who list things for $0 and list the real amount in the body.

(NB: I don't personally care about keyword spam. Just as easy for me to hit delete on alert emails. But I will say it's aggravating as hell when you're actively looking for one thing and get a bunch of listings for everything but that because of keyword spamming!)
Old 12-10-19, 08:26 PM

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Thought it looked very similar to OP. Looks like he cleaned it up and got it ready for resell. It's a really good bike and I don't think $200 is out of line on that bike.

It would be cool to have a matched set of mixte and men's style in this model/color. I have a matched pair of Grand Jubiles for my wife and I in red/black (see my mixte photo above). I sold a really nice silver/black matched pair of Grand Jubiles a couple years ago to a collector in California only because the mixte was too large for my wife.
Old 12-11-19, 06:57 AM
PM me your cotters

Thought it looked very similar to OP. Looks like he cleaned it up and got it ready for resell. It's a really good bike and I don't think $200 is out of line on that bike.
Price is definitely good, although the vintage market has been depressed in Atlanta for a while now, mutual consensus on this from a few of the guys I know around the city selling vintage in bulk.

I've watched 531-framed bike after 531-framed bike, often with higher-end components, go for less than $150. Had a guy looking to buy one of my listings recently but I steered him towards a nice Revell (of London) he got for $125. A few weeks prior, BF'er greg3rd48 tipped me off to a mint Torpado in my size for $125 or $150 (forgot which), full Campy NR, pantographs galore, sold within a few hours.

Best I can tell, Atlanta really took took a hit when the rental "city bikes" showed up 2-3 years ago. Then another hit about 18 months ago when the rental scooters popped on the scene. Recently, we saw some rental sit-down-scooters show up (scooter/bike hybrid) which seem to have disappeared after the city finally passed legislation and enforcing scooter riding, parking etc. it's helped a little bit.

Still, most of my sales end up happening when a semester starts at any of the 8 or 9 local universities have a new flock arriving, especially for fall. I'll have bikes languish for months, then all of a sudden everything sells in late summer within a period of 1-2 weeks, as kids start arriving and want something unique to stand out and get around locally.