Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Odd, interesting, memorable questions you've been asked

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Odd, interesting, memorable questions you've been asked

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Whenever I ride in England, people are perplexed about the rear-view mirror attached to my helmet. They can't seem to get enough of it. I had them ask to put on my helmet to see what the mirror is like.

Ray
We get this all the time too! Everyone is amazed by our mirrors.
Old 09-14-07, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a cross-country solo ride, I was asked by a nine-year-old how many years the trip would take me.

Not long thereafter, a boy of about fourteen, who probably left his bike out in the rain all year, asked how many bikes I'd go through making the trip.
Old 09-14-07, 06:36 PM
del dot

Bikes: Tour Easy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One conversation that has always perplexed me is:
Person: So where are you headed?

Me: (Name of wherever I'm headed, possibly days' or weeks' ride away.)

Person: You're going all that distance on that little bike?

(It should be noted here that I'm not on a folder, or on any other kind of unusually small bike. Hell, lately I get the same conversation on my long-wheelbase recumbent.)

At this point, the conversation can go two ways: I can tell the truth...
Me: Um...yes?

Person: Right. (Thinks I'm crazy, or a liar, or a crazy liar)

...or I can tell a blatantly transparent lie:
Me: No, of course not. In (name of next town) I'm going to change to a much larger bike.

Person: (much more satisfied with this answer) Ah, good. You'll need it, to go all that way.
Old 09-15-07, 08:01 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Machka
I've also had women, particularly older women, take me aside and quietly ask me if cycletouring is hard on me as a woman. I'm not quite sure how to answer that question.
Try "No harder than it is on a man." Our parents and grandparents were raised to believe that women don't do certain things.

Old 09-15-07, 08:05 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mchaz
Ugh. That's why I rarely disclose the amount I spend on my bikes to a person I don't know. To these people it's okay to finance that new $1500 on a blow your retinas out sized plasma screen TV on a Best Buy card, but a bicycle can't cost more than $100. If I know the person asking is interested bicycles, I probably will give him the dollar amount because the question is from genuine curiosity. Otherwise I just say I paid "enough", or "a bit".
To a non-cyclist, devoting time and money to cycling means you must be part of the elite. I've had people tell me my 500 dollar Trek Navigator is a top of the line racing bike. I'm still waiting for the question "What is Lance Armstrong REALLY like?"

Old 09-16-07, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Didn't you have a support vehicle?"

"So you must ride in the Tour De France right?"

"Have you met Lance Armstrong?"
Old 09-17-07, 06:13 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muttsta
"Didn't you have a support vehicle?"

"So you must ride in the Tour De France right?"

"Have you met Lance Armstrong?"
Yes!, major 'eye rollers'. It is funny how most people's only reference to cycling is racing.
Old 09-17-07, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 567 Posts
Is someone paying you to do that?

And not a question, but when asking directions to something in town and just a few miles away:
"That's to far to ride a bicycle" (pronounced BYE-sick-ul)
Old 09-17-07, 07:41 AM
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try not to give snarky responses to questions; most people are simply ignorant of what's possible and what's conceivable. Everyone's different.
Old 09-17-07, 07:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got asked several times "So how many sets of tires will you go through on a trip that long?" I don't understand the fascination, but when I say, "just the one set", they look astonished.
Old 09-17-07, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
"What DO you do when you run out of clothing?"
Keep running, because usually someone has gone and called the cops about the crazy streaking neighbor.
Old 09-18-07, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Dutch policeman when riding on the left side of the road (on a cycling-path) stopped me and said: We're not in England here.
No Sir, I understand. In that case your English is very poor.
Penalty: 30 Euro
Old 09-18-07, 03:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregw
I got asked several times "So how many sets of tires will you go through on a trip that long?" I don't understand the fascination, but when I say, "just the one set", they look astonished.
I got asked that so many times on my trip as well
Old 09-18-07, 06:11 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too really hate the "how much did your bike cost" question. The answer is a no win. I ride a custom bike which by elite bike standards was really cheap, by average bike standards was sort of expensive but worth it, and by the standards of the non-biking public was the most expensive bike they have ever seen, and really stupid. I have stopped answering the question.
Old 09-18-07, 07:01 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss10
I too really hate the "how much did your bike cost" question. The answer is a no win. I ride a custom bike which by elite bike standards was really cheap, by average bike standards was sort of expensive but worth it, and by the standards of the non-biking public was the most expensive bike they have ever seen, and really stupid. I have stopped answering the question.
I am in the same sort of situation as you are. Mine is also a custom bike ... one of the least expensive of all the custom options I looked at, but definitely more than what a non-cyclist would pay for a bicycle.

I am very vague when I answer that question with answers like "Enough", or "Not that much", or "I got a good deal", or "The price was worth it considering I've put 45,000 kms on it in the past 4 years", or something along those lines, depending on the person asking.
Old 09-18-07, 09:32 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I had a taxi driver in Glasgow ask me for directions shortly after I'd arrived in the city. Ummmm, aren't they supposed to know?

I have a lot of people ask me if I get lonely out on the road (all my touring is solo), they don't realise just how difficult it is to get 'lonely' with so many people asking that same question.

I had a guy on a train ask me if I was going to write a book about my experiences (this was after a weekend tour to Mt Buggary).

That said, most of my touring has been in Australia -- meaning that most of the people I've encountered didn't so much ask questions as made comments as though they were self-appointed "experts". These days I just nod and let them get it said. There's really no sense in arguing.

That is all.
Old 09-18-07, 09:37 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just lie. Asking what something costs, even in that way people do where they are just collecting the data, nothing personal, is still bad maners. People have been killed for what a Rohloff hub costs, not that that is what worries me. I'm not particularly interested in answering the kinds of questions that don't work out. Where the sum total of mind meeting is less than when one started.

If you are riding through hicksville, you may well run into someone who spends 100 days a year sitting in a treestand, hunting and observing deer, and who has a 1000 dollar compound biw. Telling him your bike cost 4 K is still not going to register.
Old 09-18-07, 09:49 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I did get asked by some racers, outside of Qquebec,whether I had any chain oil, and then they more or less insisted I buy a bottle we could all use. Ah the fellowship of the road. They were pretty nice actually, though who wouldn't be.
Old 09-20-07, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gf and I were doing a short tour from New York City to Harriman State Park; we stopped in Nyack at a bakery which is a huge hangout scene for cyclists. Many of the cyclists along the route 9W between New York & Nyack can't conceive of a bicycle as anything other than a piece of exercise equipment which can go outside the gym. So this guy sees our rigs loaded up (and interestingly, there were a large number of touring & cyclocross bikes at the bakery that day--way more than normal), and he asks:

"Are you guys training for something?"

The rest of the trip we took turns thinking up clever responses.

Rich
Old 09-21-07, 01:55 PM
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I did get asked by some racers, outside of Qquebec,whether I had any chain oil, and then they more or less insisted I buy a bottle we could all use. Ah the fellowship of the road. They were pretty nice actually, though who wouldn't be.
Why it was you who needed to buy the oil bottle?
Old 09-22-07, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got back from a short five-day solo tour in southern B.C. People who stopped to talk with me would invariably say, "You've got that thing loaded pretty heavy, don't you." I didn't know how to respond, but I usually said this load was lighter and smaller than in the past. My gear fits into rear panniers and a handlebar bag. My tent, tarp, sleeping pad and rough weather clothing were the only things I didn't have in the bags.
Old 09-22-07, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Do you realize you are entering a war zone?" From a policeman guarding the road going past the site of the annual Tomato Wars (Texas vs Colorado) in Twin Lakes, CO. I got through town quickly to avoid being splattered by flying tomatoes.
Old 09-23-07, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The questions (depending where I am)usually are:
  1. Where you from? (ignoring the Canadian flags on each side of my body)
  2. Are you raising money for something?
  3. How about you throw the bike in the back of the truck, and I'll drive you there? (you must be doing this out of poverty)
  4. Are you going on the 401 (insert local super-highway here) with that?
Old 09-23-07, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you doing the ride for 'charidee'?
Old 09-23-07, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do any of you have friends or family (not strangers along the way) asking if you're trying to prove a point by cycle touring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.