Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst Inventions for Bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best and Worst Inventions for Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 08:52 PM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
Actually, there is a guy near me who rides a Highwheeler farthing quite a bit. He doesn't poke along either and rides crowded places too. Too fast for me to get a pic so far. LOL. Haven't seen him stop yet.
He looks the part too with a handlebar moustache and tweed outfit.
Old 08-09-20, 09:59 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
This list is for innovations that were game changers as of 40 years ago. Those items make a radical difference to this day. (The roller chain, paved roads, spoked wheels, Those changes weren't small. The freewheel that allowed coasting. Caliper brakes. (And yes, discs are caliper brakes.) I'll add foot retention, (Yes I know that is controversial here but it was yet another revolution in racing and is used to this day.) I think foot retention is bigger than the quick release though I know mechanics will disagree. I've been using wrenches for fix gear rear wheels for 40 years. Just not a big deal.

Those were huge changes that we still benefit from (and that haven't changed a whole lot).

Ben
Old 08-09-20, 10:11 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
It has been been demonstrated, in time, Loose, separate , cogs, climbing, dug into the freehub driver splines,
That's because the splines are aluminum to save weight. The cheap Campy 9-speed freehub used steel splines and came with loose cogs. Works just as well. I swap out cogs all the time. (This is a place where the thinking is that weight matters more than optimizing the engine to wheel gear ratios. That weight is what, 2 ounces? 2 ounces in (for me) (155+18+6) = 179 pounds is 0.07%. I can easily see less than optimum gear ratio costing a rider several percent. (We can't give you the best gear for your dragster because it will add 5 pounds.)

Ben
Old 08-10-20, 09:31 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nope they, loose lower gear cogs, even dug into steel driver splines , but, yes, to make hubs lighter Al & Ti drivers are very incompatible..
Old 08-10-20, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Electronic shifting is on the wrong amended list. Requiring a battery to shift your bike puts it squarely on the "worst" list. Doubly so for a hackable wireless version.

Re. cassettes, the riveted cassettes I've removed and installed are all so loosely assembled, I don't see how they're any less likely to dig into the freehub body than totally "loose" ones. Esp. since the lock ring tightens all the cogs down, whether riveted or not. I thought the riveting was just to simplify / cheapify initial assembly.

Last edited by madpogue; 08-10-20 at 12:05 PM.