Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling "seasons"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Consistent distance all year round vs. cycling seasons
Same number of miles/kilometers each week throughout the whole year
18.27%
Mileage peaks and valleys which are often weather dependent
81.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Cycling "seasons"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 08:52 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Alas, in Minnesota, much like your Canadian experience Machka, cycling here is very seasonally dependent. I had resolved myself ride outside a couple times a week through winter but it's been so #$^$*$ cold (read, double digits below 0F) and locally they've done a really p*ss poor job of plowing/clearing the shoulders and even the MUPs...it is truly dangerous to ride in most places, at least close to me. So, I try to do an hour on the trainer a day at least. While not truly riding at least it's butt in the saddle time, which is better than nothing at all. Tonight will be Spinervals 31.0, a 1:45 aerobic workout, so long as I can get chores done and kids to bed reasonably .
Old 01-11-10, 09:01 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You trying to prove a point by bumping old threads?
Old 01-12-10, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
More than the cold, it's really the short short days that put a damper on the desire to cycle.
+1

One daylight savings time ends, my ability to get in a weeknight ride after work becomes non-existant. Weekend rides continue until the weather puts them to an end...my last road ride of my "2009 season" was in mid-December, after that it became to slick out there for my tastes.
Old 01-12-10, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like doing evening rides in the winter and morning rides in the summer. When it is warmer, I can ride every morning. I don't get to ride every evening, because of family activies. I was going to ride tonight, but my wife has a meeting and I need to stay home with the kids.

In the winter, it always seems like the worst weather is on the weekends. So many times it will be windy, rainy on Saturday and Sunday. And then I'll drive to work on Monday and it is clear, warm, and the winds are calm.

Last edited by shmily_dana; 01-12-10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 10:13 AM
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm finding an interesting change in attitude between my Canadian perspective where I frantically tried to pack as much cycling as I could into the very short period of time we call "summer" there, even if it meant riding in some really bad weather ....................... and my new Australian perspective.

It's a hot day today, but quite windy ... so I'm looking outside and thinking ... "No worries, I can ride tomorrow."

And with that attitude, my mileage has declined significantly. I need to get out there and ride!!!!
Oh dear, this is bad....

No seasons here really. I tend to ride more in December due to vacation, less work pressure etc.
Old 01-12-10, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I cycle 110 miles per week except for
a. when roads are icy or there's snow
b. when I'm on vacation

That equates to one month taken off during winter and one month taken off between spring and autumn. The remaining 10 months, pretty consistent.
Old 01-12-10, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here in dc, the winter is very windy, and usually below freezing. it's horrible cycling weather. and it also gets dark around 5pm

so yes, definitely peaks in my year versus all year round cycling
Old 01-12-10, 05:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mileage has peaks and valleys. It's dependent on weather I feel like riding or not.