Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Something Wicked this way comes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Something Wicked this way comes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
The project has not stalled; got my frame back a few weeks ago; just haven’t had much time to mess around with it. Well, I have; I’ve just gotten distracted with another stupid bike project, over in the hybrid forums titled Allan T. Brown….

Anyway pics for proof:

Downtube

Chainstay

Brass is laid on a bit heavier than I’d like but it will allow me to shape properly. I’ve done a little filing but not much…
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 08-15-21, 03:22 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cool score!

Great but odd creepy movie
Didn't see the movie, but read the book twice, several years apart

Old 08-15-21, 04:44 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Didn't see the movie, but read the book twice, several years apart
Bradbury defied age and generational borders.

I've still got the " I Sing the Body Electric' compilation on my shelf and will go at it again, after 40 years.
Old 08-21-21, 11:44 AM

Ready for paint:

The chainstay repair still has a little nick I’m not willing to go deeper to remove, the down tube has a tiny rough spot that I think Powdercoat will hide. None of them are deeper than the serial number stamped into the BB. However, I am concerned that PC will obliterate the SN. How to avoid? Mask over it so it’s not painted?

But I may just build it and ride it before paint, just because, well, you know why!
Old 08-22-21, 10:13 AM

Of course I couldn’t help myself; began assembling just to see it look like a bike:

Pedals and stem may or may not be final selection; although the stem is era appropriate and places the bars in a good position, it’s kinda ugly. What this bike needs is a Tioga T-Bone or a Salsa, TIG welded job. But preliminary testing it feels pretty good where it’s at. Maybe I’ll just leave it for now.

A few more pics just for fun:

My plan is just to get it together and ride it a bit before I decide on paint. I’ll probably add some braze ons here and there and it doesn’t make sense to paint until they’re finalized. I’m excited to ride this thing; just need to set up the brakes, cable and chain it and then off we go!
Old 03-17-24, 08:47 AM

I’ve been working behind the scenes on this one, having some fork legs made to fit my NOS Tange Switchblade crown and steer tube. Our own Andrew Stewart did a magnificent job but unfortunately I haven’t been real motivated to move it forward this past year. However, I got the itch and figured I’d at least get the legs painted up and mount the fork just to see how it looks:

not too shabby!

I don’t think I’ll leave them black; with the anodized crown it’s just too much.

I think I really like the idea of a lavender/white fade with lavender fork blades and white accents in the holes near the crown. Probably white at the front and lavender at the rear.
Thoughts and input welcomed; even if I don’t agree with you….

I guess it’s time to strip the frame of parts and paint and get moving!
Old 03-17-24, 08:51 AM

Here’s the whole bike just for fun:

Need to get a spacer made for the headset; that’s a lot of steer tube showing!
Old 03-17-24, 09:41 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 649 Posts
Nice bike restoration
Old 03-17-24, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
I’ve been working behind the scenes on this one, having some fork legs made to fit my NOS Tange Switchblade crown and steer tube. Our own Andrew Stewart did a magnificent job but unfortunately I haven’t been real motivated to move it forward this past year. However, I got the itch and figured I’d at least get the legs painted up and mount the fork just to see how it looks:

Forget all the suspension business, I want one like this!
Old 03-23-24, 09:19 AM

Thank you both; for me there is nothing sexier than a Switchblade with straight blade forks that taper down to a nice pencil point!

I picked up the NOS crown and steer tube probably 10 years ago for literally like 5 bucks. But then could never find legs to fit so I posted an inquiry here and our own Andrew Stewart stepped up. As you can see, he did a fantastic job. The original Switchblades never had a lug at the top of the legs, but because the correct diameter legs were unavailable I had my local friendly machinist make those shim/lugs to be used with a set of fork blades I got from Framebuilders Supply. So the fork is truly a one-off.

There is some question that the crown might be from a RockShox RS-1, the very first suspension fork RockShox ever produced, and not a Tange Switchblade crown. Either way, I ended up with exactly what I was hoping for.
And there was no more suitable a candidate to receive this fork in my stable than my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance. The bullmoose handlebars will probably not remain; rather I think I'll be using a quill stem / threadless adapter in its place. But I gotta get the dang thing stripped and repainted first!
Old 03-30-24, 07:23 PM

Let the stripping begin!

Friday I got after it:

No real in between pics but there is an after or two:

Primered up!

This is the worst of it…

Not too shabby for a hack job in the garage with a rattle can of paint. Chose not to do a fade because lazy, mostly. This is intended to mimic Fat City’s Yo Eddy Team color; pics can be found all over the interwebs. It’s close but not spot on. Close enough for me, anyway….

What do you guys think?