Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How often to you get a flat tire?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How often to you get a flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Copperhead (hardtail, winter bike), 2014 Giant Rapid 2, 2015 Kona Big Rove ST

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
(Schwalbe Marathons are heavy; Contis can be difficult to mount and swap tubes; Armadillos are made by a company who's bikes we do not sell...)
That's so true about Contis. Good thing I rarely have to mount/unmount them from the rim.
Old 03-03-13, 12:16 PM
CXT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Primary commuter has Bontrager Race Lite hard case tires. In the beginning I got 1 flat about every 2 months @ 60-70 psi. Flats were a result of mainly glass and staples. I go through a lot of industrial areas. Installed tire liners (same tires) and haven't gotten a flat in 2 years.

LHT has ghetto tubeless Big Apples 26x2.35" @ 35 psi and there were 2 instances over the past 3 years where I rolled over something that resulted in the tire being punctured and it sealing itself.
Old 03-03-13, 04:01 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No flats since I started commuting last July. Do about 60-70 miles a week. I use 700x32 inflated to 70psi.
Old 03-03-13, 05:03 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Hudson 4600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'd like to see a poll of how many miles to a flat after posting your flat stats.
EXACTLY!! I don't really consider myself the superstious type, but I'm sorry, I refuse to directly awnswer the question LOL.

But I will tell you what I have. 26"X2.0 65PSI Serfas Survivor series. A set of two will set you back approx $80.00. I also use some very heavy dudty tubes (can't remember the name). The Serfas ride like a dream & almost feels like the bike is driveing its self. I've had my share of suddenly having to go deep in the gutter to avoid a side swipe with an "arse-wipe" in a car that can't stay in their lane.

Its then that I'm so greatful for the presents of mind to only use high tires & tubes......cause I can hear the SNAP CRACKLE AND POP of every razor sharp stone being smashed by my tires.

So I don't want to jinx myself cause my commute in on a 15mile bike path with no lights & half of it cuts through deep woods & believe me when I tell you its PITCH BLACK with only star, moon, & the lights from your LEDs that will light the way. I don't want to tempt the hand of fate & get stuck in the dead of night with all maner of animal life moveing about.......watching me....
Old 03-03-13, 05:51 PM
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've had one flat on my 700X32 Tserv PTs in about 3500 miles, and another flat on my Maxxis cx tires in about 750 miles of use. After a string of punctures with cheap tires about ten years ago, and a horrible crash due to a flat front tire about 4 years ago during a race, I spring for the tires with a good layer of protection.
Old 03-03-13, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I'm running 700x28c Kenda Kwests on both of my bikes (with Mr. Tuffy's on my primary/wet weather commuter) and I haven't had a flat since the end of November, which is about 1100 miles ago (and I didn't have the Mr. Tuffy's at that stage).
Old 03-03-13, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't know how many miles, but i've been riding since 2003 and i've never had a flat tire. i even carry a pump, spare tube, and patches just in case. never needed them.

i probably will now.
Old 03-03-13, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Sport, Fuji Absolute 3.0, Cannondale H400

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a schwinn confort bike I ride at work (yes, I know it's a cheap bike. I've replaced the bottom bracket and cassettee. So far so good). I ride cheap, metro brand slicks, 1.5 inch tires to 60 lbs. 875 miles in ten months with one flat, a thorn. My ride to work bike is hybrid cannondale with Connies 32s at 70 lbs. about 1000 miles with no flats. Before I had cheap slickes, at 80 lbs. on this bike and got a flat going over a broken bottle once in 570 miles of use.
Old 03-03-13, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I run Michelin City 28c F, 32c R. Rear tire is good for at least 15K miles. About one flat every 8K miles (usually rear tire). I try not to hug the right shoulder when riding. Past punctures were caused by small steel wires and roof staplers.
Old 03-05-13, 03:50 AM

Location: born in DC, . . . . . . . . . . . raised in MD, living in the OC. . .

Bikes: TREK 2300 carbon Frame|-&-|LEADER 735T

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use the forte pro+ ...from preformancebike they hold up nice, 1 flat since i got them 5 months ago, inner ture got pinched, so i bought a thorn resistant tube and no issues since.
im looking into the strada-k tire for my fixie, they are like 14$ a tire.... the pros were 20ish i think.
i would like to try gatorskins and thickslicks, but dont want to dish out the money prior to trying them...
wish someone had a pair to give forth.
flats happen, i try to avoide the stuff on the ground, but ive hit some narly rocks on my 700x23 tires, glass and pot holes and the pro+ holds up.
Old 03-05-13, 05:33 AM

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I'm running 700x28c Kenda Kwests on both of my bikes (with Mr. Tuffy's on my primary/wet weather commuter) and I haven't had a flat since the end of November, which is about 1100 miles ago (and I didn't have the Mr. Tuffy's at that stage).
Miles to flat: 15

I guess the first rule of flats is 'You don't talk about flats.'
Old 03-05-13, 08:25 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
Roughly how many miles do you ride between flat tires?
It varies. I've gone years without a flat and had both tires go flat within a fraction of a second of each other; the strangest was getting a flat tire at a major intersection on my way to work, and getting another flat tire at the same intersection on the way home from work the same day. I just keep a flat kit on me and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-05-13, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a weird scenario;
I have the stock Kenda Cross 700x40c tires on my bike. The are rated up to 85psi.
If I inflate to over 80psi, the tube will blow out, as long as I stay under 80 then it's the typical road hazards I have to be concerned with.

One way I reduced my number of flats was to quit riding the shoulder and get out on the roadway. In my worst week I had three flats in two days. I haven't had a flat (knocks wood) since the week of Thanksgiving since Lowering air pressure and riding in the lane ,
Old 03-05-13, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Sultan 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to tubeless 9 years ago and have not had a flat since. I ride a mountain bike 4 days a week on some tough trails. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front Small Block 8 2.1 rear.