Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

serotta v. time v. look (maybe specialized?)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

serotta v. time v. look (maybe specialized?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 10:25 PM
It's ALL base...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Look's a sweet looking bike, really one of my favorites. I just think the lugged carbon frames are more attractive than monocoque versions... If it were me, I'd get the Time VXRS- it's in the same category as the 595/595 Ultra, is even more unusual, and is drop dead gorgeous. The standard edition Ulteam is black and red, but if you can snag one of the Special Edition white Tom Boonen versions (Helen's has several), it'd be even more blingtastic!!

Plus, I know there's no weight limits on that frame. Besides, since so few people really recognize the Time bikes like they do the Looks, there will be less pressure on you to actually ride fast.

I love the Record stuff. I say go full Blinganolo!

FWIW, while Campy parts don't have weight limits , they do include recs for more frequent checking/maintenance if you weigh more than 82kg/180lbs.

Your new bike:

https://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8...7_57_13_am.jpg

edit: rapidcarbon beat me to it!
Old 08-01-07, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
Id say go for the Look, perhaps a 595 or 585 ultra. The Time is about the same as the Look. The Serotta you can get custom built and the Specialized is not in the same class or quality.
Ok. That has absolutely no basis in reality. Specialized carbon frames are just as "fancy" as Time or Looks. Have you ridden all three high end frames extensively to have an opinion? Don't discount Specialized just because they're not as exotic to you.

doofus
Old 08-01-07, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly Scott, I think you're a little big for a 900g carbon frame. But Ti might feel like a wet noodle when you're putting out power on a climb, unless it's built for a rider of your size, and in that case you might as well go with steel since you'll have lost the weigh savings. But since you don't race, I don't think it matters.
Old 08-01-07, 10:48 PM
2old2tri

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, Trek Fuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

We have so much in common. I am also old and heavier than I want to be. Your advice is good. I am trying to take my time and make the correct decision from the get-go. I will try several bikes and I agree with most of the statements that you have made. I am going to test ride several on my short list and go from there. I have no problem with a stock bike, though I did want to examine the custom route. Thanks.
Old 08-01-07, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not exactly what you were asking but I would also look into Seven Cycles. They make Ti, Carbon, and steel custom bikes. They also make hybrid Ti/Carbon bikes. I honestly think if you are spending a ton of money, why not have the bike fit you, rather than the other way around? My father rides a Seven and loves it. He is low 185-190 lbs I would say.
https://www.sevencycles.com/home.php
If you are dead set on the three you mentioned, as other have said, skip the Specialized. I would go Look. Time frames look like walking billboards to me whereas LOOK frames have always been at the top of my drool list. They have been making carbon frames for a long time so I would suspect that they know a thing or two.

For the record, I ride an older Kestrel 500SCi so the advice is comming from someone who at least rides a carbon bike
Old 08-01-07, 11:10 PM
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the 959 out of those three. Alternatively, get something different. Get an Isaac.

Old 08-01-07, 11:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
or a wilier
Old 08-02-07, 12:04 AM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the last 3 bikes i bought were because i liked their looks

not being facetious.
Old 08-02-07, 01:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you say 105kg? steer clear of the top end lightweight carbon creations

if my conversion is correct 235lbs = ~105kg.

I think you are much too heavy for any of the weatherweight top of the range carbon frames. BTW I have Time and a Trek Madone. On Time Translink they max out at 86kg rider weight. On regular seat-post I know they do handle your weight but I dont know how well. I am only 150# (~68kg). If I were you I would do some research on solid stiff frames to support your own weight.

I know that Trek Madone and Specialized Roubaix have no rider weight limits and I know riders in 100-120kg who own them. I would get professionally fitted to see what geometry would work better and then pick a rock-solid frame and wheels to support your 100-110kg mass. Seriously. I dont think Look and Time are designed for riders over 200# no matter what the shops say. Perhaps a full Ti Serotta may be a better choice for you, if geometry fits. And solid wheels.
Old 08-02-07, 05:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two major questions.

What weight do you think you will realistically get down to?

Would you be willing to wait until you attained that weight?

Your size will determine the type and size of tubing that will be your dream bike. A moving target is not a good time to buy that bike. You have a titanium now that you can ride in the meantime.

Go to Seven Cycles website and review their 12-page custom care kit. I think you will be impressed. I am partial to Serotta, have a steel Fierte, and they have trained fitters and fit cycle that is unique to Serotta. Waterford is another source for steel and titanium. There are also many sole proprietors, artisans really, that do the highest quality work you can imagine.

I would go custom and stick with all titanium or steel unless you are going to lose more weight and get below 200 lbs.

BTW, what is your $5,500 titanium and what process did you go through to purchase it? Right now, a $4,000 - $5,000 titanium bike would be my dream. I'm wondering if you already have the dream bike, because if it is a good one I don't know how much better it could get! Nothing wrong with having multiple bikes, though.
Old 08-02-07, 07:08 AM
hamster with funny pants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High-end bike shopping, when you're actually planning to buy something, is loads of fun.

The brands you're looking at are all great, though as I think others have mentioned the Serotta is a little different qualitatively from the other three because of their custom option. Have you been fitted to see whether you need a custom bike? As Cleave pointed out, this might eliminate the Look, Time and Specialized right off the bat.

If it were me in your situation, I'd also look at some of the other European brands - Colnago, Pinarello, DeRosa, Wilier - in addition to the ones you listed. They make some damn sexy bikes. I've also always liked Cervelos.

Finally, gruppo is a matter of individual taste (and as you know, subject to a lot of strong opinions). One thing to think about, though, is that if you go Campy when your current bikes all have Shimano, then you won't be able to use your wheelsets interchangeably. This isn't a terrible problem, but it could keep you off the new bike if you should taco a wheel or something similar.

Take your time in making the decision, have fun, and post some pics of what you finally buy!
Old 08-02-07, 08:08 AM
2old2tri

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, Trek Fuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet Bike

Thanks for the input. Both the Look and the Time look great. I hadn't even heard of Time until yesterday when I called a friend of mine from back east.
Old 08-02-07, 08:32 AM
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dekindy
What weight do you think you will realistically get down to?

Would you be willing to wait until you attained that weight?

Your size will determine the type and size of tubing that will be your dream bike. A moving target is not a good time to buy that bike. You have a titanium now that you can ride in the meantime.
+1 (million)
Old 08-02-07, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for the custom fit and forget the technical specifications. I bought a Serotta custom steel bike last year. It is the first bike that fit me correctly. I love it. I ride for fitness. Because of the superior ride quality and ergonomics I tend to ride more often.
Old 08-02-07, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you end up gettgin, please can you post the pics here? If nothing else it will make me jealous.
Old 08-02-07, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianallan
Ok. That has absolutely no basis in reality. Specialized carbon frames are just as "fancy" as Time or Looks. Have you ridden all three high end frames extensively to have an opinion? Don't discount Specialized just because they're not as exotic to you.

doofus
Actually there is. Perhaps you didnt read the report on cycling news. Specialized had to customize their Tarmacs for the pro teams because of too much flex. Im not knocking the Specialized, just saying its not in the same class as the others.
Old 08-02-07, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
Actually there is. Perhaps you didnt read the report on cycling news. Specialized had to customize their Tarmacs for the pro teams because of too much flex. Im not knocking the Specialized, just saying its not in the same class as the others.
I read that the carbon cranks where flexy. And actually, the riders where reported to be riding stock bikes with the exception of Boonen. If you can point me to the article, I'll digress.
Old 08-02-07, 01:51 PM
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acid_rider
if my conversion is correct 235lbs = ~105kg.

I think you are much too heavy for any of the weatherweight top of the range carbon frames. BTW I have Time and a Trek Madone. On Time Translink they max out at 86kg rider weight. On regular seat-post I know they do handle your weight but I dont know how well. I am only 150# (~68kg). If I were you I would do some research on solid stiff frames to support your own weight.

I know that Trek Madone and Specialized Roubaix have no rider weight limits and I know riders in 100-120kg who own them. I would get professionally fitted to see what geometry would work better and then pick a rock-solid frame and wheels to support your 100-110kg mass. Seriously. I dont think Look and Time are designed for riders over 200# no matter what the shops say. Perhaps a full Ti Serotta may be a better choice for you, if geometry fits. And solid wheels.
If you're concernmed about weight limits on a particular Look model, contact Chas at LookUSA and ask him directly. He stated that the 565 has no rider weight limit here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/ph...t=weight+limit
Old 08-02-07, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read that the carbon cranks where flexy. And actually, the riders where reported to be riding stock bikes with the exception of Boonen. If you can point me to the article, I'll digress.
Took me a while to locate it but here it is. Its the second Quick Step article, they also were ridden by Gerolsteiner.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007.../tour_tech_607
Old 08-02-07, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all this concern about weight and rigidity, why not check out a Colnago Extreme Power https://www.trialtir-usa.com/2007-col...ainpage_01.jpg

I've always loved the way they look, and this frame is reinforced everywhere to cope with sprinter-level wattage. And they're gorgeous...

Also, everybody who has a rich wife willing to indulge outrageous cycling purchases...what do your wives do, and where can I meet a woman like this?
Old 08-02-07, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Three little words that will solve your dilemma- five eighty five- fast, comfortable, and in carbon black it is drop dead sexy. And if this kinda thing is important to you( and if you say it isn't you are lying) you won't see every other rider at a ride on one( a la trek, specialized, giant, cannondale). so go for it
Old 08-02-07, 08:29 PM
not riding enough

Bikes: '95 GT Timberline, '04 Trek 2200, '05 Merlin Solis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nate14
everybody who has a rich wife willing to indulge outrageous cycling purchases...what do your wives do, and where can I meet a woman like this?
No kidding. I need to convince wifey to ask for a raise.
Old 08-02-07, 09:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: litespeed, MASTER X LITE, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old2tri
Thanks,
I appreciate the input. The Look is a great looking bike and I am kind of leaning toward it. From the input that I have been getting, it seems that the Look is a better bargain than the Serotta.
Your not paying attenion there all the same get the colour you like best.Or go custom,why speak bargins when you have a load too blow.
Old 08-02-07, 10:00 PM
Banned

Bikes: litespeed, MASTER X LITE, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly Scott, I think you're a little big for a 900g carbon frame. But Ti might feel like a wet noodle when you're putting out power on a climb, unless it's built for a rider of your size, and in that case you might as well go with steel since you'll have lost the weigh savings. But since you don't race, I don't think it matters.
Sorry brianallan I have LITESPEED SIENA and it is anything but a WET NOODLE,you must not have ridden many ti bikes.
Old 08-03-07, 11:32 AM
Extra Junior Member

Bikes: '05 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get a 595. You will need to make adjustments as you lose weight and gain flexibility, and the integrated seatpost will make this a hassle. The 585 is very similar to the 595, but it has a non-integrated seatpost. You really should look into minor details before you throw so much on a bike. Get a Specialized. Or a Serotta. Or a Seven. They seem to be more of the "rich guy that isn't that fast and considers 9 miles an actual ride" bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.