Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best brake pads...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 12:08 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
My salmon Kool Stops don’t squeal, ever, and wear extremely well. Their braking improvement in dry weather is demonstrably better than others in my experience.
I don't find that the salmon Kool Stops are noticeably better than the black Kool Stops - in the dry. Obviously that is my subjective experience. I would like to see actual data if there is any.

I agree that they are both demonstrably better than most other OEM type pads, much better in fact. Salmon are superior in the wet for sure. I'll maintain however that they are more prone to have issues with squeal than the black ones. It's not automatic, and they definitely don't always squeal, but they are more prone to it.
Old 04-30-18, 02:22 PM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
My data point for KS salmon performance versus black (probably standard Shimano black pads, certainly not KS black) was when my son took his first ride on a drop bar bike (with dual pivot calipers) with me. We live pretty high up in Seattle, and our typical departure route from home includes a block-long 10% grade with a stop sign at the bottom. We were going slowly, but he barely was able to come to a stop at the bottom. Yes, we had taught him how to brake from the drops and had previously practiced on the level street in front of the house.

That night I switched the pads to KS salmons. Next day, same route, and he was easily able to stop at the same location.

As far as salmon pad squeal, I don’t have any problem with it (and really dislike squealing brakes!) on multiple dual pivots or my braze-on Gran Compe centerpull, and don’t take any special measures, like tweaking toe-in, bending arms, etc. I was contrasting my experience with the statement that salmon pads “have to keep chasing after them to de-squeak them every few weeks.”

Glad you like your black ones. I like my salmons. We can agree that KS makes excellent pads.
Old 04-30-18, 04:09 PM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 1,065 Posts
Yokozuna salmon

Or Swisstop blue on all my bikes

Koolstop Vans on my kids' bikes