Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1976 Schwinn Suburban Restoration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1976 Schwinn Suburban Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 04:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by Groover
On the Suburban (or any of the older Schwinns) I'm curious as to what the most significant factor is in the weight? Is it a super heavy frame by comparison or is it just everything together? Would a Suburban frame make a good candidate for a fixed gear (if you swapped out the wheels) or is the frame weight and geometry just not conducive to anything other than upright cruising? Pardon the newbie questions... but my status says I'm allowed
When Schwinn was making a name for itself back in the '50's, people expected the things that they bought to last. To assure buyers that Schwinn was confident that their bikes were built to last, they had a 'Lifetime Guaranty" that continued until the Chicago based Schwinn went bankrupt and was sold. Having worked in a Schwinn shop, I can vouch for the fact that the stood behind their garranty.

When the Varsity/Continental/Suburban frame is compared to other bikes in the late '60's and early '70's the frame, by it self, wasn't much heavier than Raleigh Grand Prix's and Peugeot UO-8' . The steel walls were thicker and the tubing diameter less than those bikes. If you had a Varsity, the Ashtabula fork is easily one pound heavier than the tubular fork on the Continental and the Suburban. Next add in a full pound for the kickstand. Each component added more weight than their rivals. By the time you add it all up it may be a 5 lb. difference between a Gran Prix and a Varsity.

With a Suburban add more weight for the Mattress saddle (heavy, but comfy) and the fenders.

Some people have made their Varsity/Continentals in to light weight versions or Single Speed/Fixies and ditched the crank in favor of a aluminum alloy three piece crank, remove the kickstand, and swap the wheels to aluminum. It is kind of of neat to have a bike that started life so heavy go through this transformation.

I was heading in the same direction years ago, but before I started I, put the question of what to do with this Continental to the members here at BikeForums C&V and while I got many answers, the one that seemed to make sense was "It is a Schwinn Continental, don't try to make it into something that it isn't. Keep the Schwinn a Schwinn." As a result, I have a Continental that anyone living in the time would recognize as a Continental. The only real upgrade was swapping the wheels to aluminum rims, still 27", and changing the rear derailleur to a better working one.

This thread is about Suburban's. And the bike above is a Continental, however, with the upright bars and fenders it is more like a 10 speed Suburban. I enjoy riding it.

By the way, @Vintage Schwinn , I kind of liked the subtle graphics on the Suburban's. I think that the Suburban aimed for a more mature buyer. They sold plenty of them. Many of them got the Schwinn rack mounted on the back. Some also got the Wald fold up shopping baskets added to the rack.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-31-22, 09:10 AM

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
When Schwinn was making a name for itself back in the '50's, people expected the things that they bought to last. To assure buyers that Schwinn was confident that their bikes were built to last, they had a 'Lifetime Guaranty" that continued until the Chicago based Schwinn went bankrupt and was sold. Having worked in a Schwinn shop, I can vouch for the fact that the stood behind their garranty.

When the Varsity/Continental/Suburban frame is compared to other bikes in the late '60's and early '70's the frame, by it self, wasn't much heavier than Raleigh Grand Prix's and Peugeot UO-8' . The steel walls were thicker and the tubing diameter less than those bikes. If you had a Varsity, the Ashtabula fork is easily one pound heavier than the tubular fork on the Continental and the Suburban. Next add in a full pound for the kickstand. Each component added more weight than their rivals. By the time you add it all up it may be a 5 lb. difference between a Gran Prix and a Varsity.

With a Suburban add more weight for the Mattress saddle (heavy, but comfy) and the fenders.

Some people have made their Varsity/Continentals in to light weight versions or Single Speed/Fixies and ditched the crank in favor of a aluminum alloy three piece crank, remove the kickstand, and swap the wheels to aluminum. It is kind of of neat to have a bike that started life so heavy go through this transformation.

I was heading in the same direction years ago, but before I started I, put the question of what to do with this Continental to the members here at BikeForums C&V and while I got many answers, the one that seemed to make sense was "It is a Schwinn Continental, don't try to make it into something that it isn't. Keep the Schwinn a Schwinn." As a result, I have a Continental that anyone living in the time would recognize as a Continental. The only real upgrade was swapping the wheels to aluminum rims, still 27", and changing the rear derailleur to a better working one.

This thread is about Suburban's. And the bike above is a Continental, however, with the upright bars and fenders it is more like a 10 speed Suburban. I enjoy riding it.

By the way, @Vintage Schwinn , I kind of liked the subtle graphics on the Suburban's. I think that the Suburban aimed for a more mature buyer. They sold plenty of them. Many of them got the Schwinn rack mounted on the back. Some also got the Wald fold up shopping baskets added to the rack.
I really like your chosen upgrades, That's a beauty. I'd say that Schwinn is still a Schwinn
Old 08-31-22, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Sanwa - The Li'l Brown Bear, Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Speedster, Trek Alpha 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Ok, I just picked up the Suburban ($50). I can't post photos yet, but I can say that it looks to be about as all original as it can be with the exception of one pedal being un-original Even the tires look to be original. I know that seems odd, but they are "Schwinn HP Sports Touring" "27 x 1 1/4 to fit Schwinn S-6 or K-2 RIM" gumwall shiny slicks but they are cracked enough that they wouldn't be safe to ride. If the seat isn't original, it's a Schwinn replica. Black plush spring seat. The SCHWINN decals on the lower bar are pretty far gone, but the Suburban decals look very nice. Steel wheels and all chrome are pretty much flawless. I just weighed it and as is 42 lbs. So I need to get some new tires and oil her up, etc. but looking forward to riding this weekend.

Last edited by Groover; 08-31-22 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For Groover:
Old 09-01-22, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Groover
Ok, I just picked up the Suburban ($50). I can't post photos yet, but I can say that it looks to be about as all original as it can be with the exception of one pedal being un-original Even the tires look to be original. I know that seems odd, but they are "Schwinn HP Sports Touring" "27 x 1 1/4 to fit Schwinn S-6 or K-2 RIM" gumwall shiny slicks but they are cracked enough that they wouldn't be safe to ride. If the seat isn't original, it's a Schwinn replica. Black plush spring seat. The SCHWINN decals on the lower bar are pretty far gone, but the Suburban decals look very nice. Steel wheels and all chrome are pretty much flawless. I just weighed it and as is 42 lbs. So I need to get some new tires and oil her up, etc. but looking forward to riding this weekend.
Congrats! Sounds like you picked up a good one. One thing about the tires which you probably already know, standard 27" will not fit. As you noted, ensure you source 27 x 1 1/4 to fit Schwinn S-6 or K-2 RIM. FleBay is a good place to look
Old 09-01-22, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Sanwa - The Li'l Brown Bear, Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Speedster, Trek Alpha 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Yep, I ordered the "Schwinn 27 x 1&1/4 Replacement Tire" from Amazon last night because it was the only one I could get by Friday. That will get me on the road... and one more post will get me photos.