Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried Noseless saddles?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Has anyone tried Noseless saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-23, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Have you used one?
Old 11-10-23, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
Have you used one?
Yes, I have tried them. As a bicycle mechanic I get to test ride a wide variety of bikes (and saddles) that come in for service. I've also gone through my own ups and downs with saddles, and along the way I tried noseless and hated them (too wide at the front). Saddles are very specific to the individual. For some people I'm sure noseless saddles are wonderful. For me they become very uncomfortable very quickly.

The saddle that solved all my (saddle) issues was the Selle SMP Stratos. I have since switched to a Selle SMP Composit because it is slightly narrower and has no padding, but it's the same saddle shape. The curved saddle keeps me planted in the right position on the bike because I am fit properly to my bike. It is comfortable and I can stay there for hours. The curved shape also works quite well for a TT position. I use a Composit on my Trek Speed Concept and it keeps me comfortable for 100-mile rides.

I suspect those who do not like the curved shape of the Selle SMP are not setting it up correctly or are not fit properly to the bike. When you're anchored to one position on the saddle for hours on end and it's not the right position, the rider will understandably be uncomfortable and unhappy on the bike. If you are trying to scoot forward onto the "beak" because your reach is too long when you're further back on the correct part of the saddle (i.e. poor fit), the rider will understandably be uncomfortable and unhappy on the bike. But again, saddle preferences are very different, even among riders of similar style and ability. I just know what works for me and why.

P.S. If you're in the market for a Bontrager Hilo Comp I've got one I can sell for cheap .

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 11-10-23 at 06:52 PM.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 11-15-23, 06:49 AM
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 949 Posts
Have you used one?
I've been cleaning out old bike stock and listing a crap-load of saddles on craigslist. I used a nice ISM noseless saddle that BF member Chas verktyg was nice enough to send me for just the cost of shipping. I'll do the same & send it your way (or anyone who wants it ) - I think I remember SW84 saying he's leaving BF over something)

It was not uncomfortable and did help with the perineum pain I was having, but I found my balance was not as good because your legs help steer & balance slightly through the saddle nose. I found a comfortable saddle with a cut-out that didn't look so weird and was equally comfortable....so much so I bought 17 of them !

Who wants it? PM me if you do.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 11-15-23 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-19-23, 01:21 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 5,823 Times in 2,999 Posts
I'm curious what you think of them if you do, or have. At 68 my "area" isn't as padded as it used to be, and I'm curious if these types of seats would help. My research shows 2 or 3 different types. Which type have you tried, or still use?
If you are talking about the perennial area (taint in more common language) noseless may not be the answer. I had to go through several saddles to find one the worked. The one I did find would definitely give you a pain in the wallet and is made by Selle Italia. Fortunately they have many different saddles with cutouts at various price points which could work. Nose-less will take away some control of the bike since most people steer the bike by leaning the bike using the thighs to a certain extent.

This is the seat I have on my mountain bike. It’s good for rides on my mountain bike, but found it a bit too soft the road bike but may work for you and is inexpensive.

this is the cost is no object one one the road bike