Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

How to Develop devastating POWER

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Dude, chill.

Repeatedly bumping your thread for more info is frowned-upon in any forum.

Everyone who is going to see this thread has already seen it.

If your topic is worthy of comment, then people will comment. If not, then they won't. If you keep bumping this thread asking for input, I will lock it.
Well excuse me. The term / practice is new to me. Sincerely yours
Old 08-26-15, 03:28 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by DHRB45
Well excuse me. The term / practice is new to me. Sincerely yours
But, alas, it is not new to me

I know what you are doing.
Old 08-26-15, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
But, alas, it is not new to me

I know what you are doing.
Aww, he's just excited, C! Weren't we all a bit too excited about track racing at some point?
Old 08-26-15, 06:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=I know what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

Honestly? I have no idea of that to which you refer.
Old 08-26-15, 06:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And so it came to pass that, with head hung low, he trotted off; banished from the very thread that he had created so enthusiastically some three weeks earlier. The sun rose higher as he pondered the recent events; somewhat mystified, mildly saddened, whilst slightly bemused all at once ..
Old 08-26-15, 08:57 PM

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DHRB45, we all still love you. I can genuinely say I have learned something useful from your threads, its all good discussion still, just a few pages longer than it needed to be perhaps
Old 08-27-15, 01:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
DHRB45, we all still love you. I can genuinely say I have learned something useful from your threads, its all good discussion still, just a few pages longer than it needed to be perhaps
K. Thanks
Old 08-27-15, 08:29 AM
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Aww, he's just excited, C! Weren't we all a bit too excited about track racing at some point?
Yeah, but then I did a points race.
Old 09-03-15, 12:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats really good, cos I have learnt a whole pile of stuff from you guys too thanks !

I kicked off this thread, because I wanted to know more about "How to develop Devastating Power" - and how to apply it to Track-cycling. There was an acknowledged lack of info in the library / web - but I had recognised clues in the Athletics world. At least, there was good information available from Top coaches - i.e. coaches who had taken sprinters to Olympic / World records. And they used weights, as the primary means of developing strength and Power. There had to be overlaps for us Sprint cyclists - but what were they?

Thanks to one of the members, I was pointed to Top coach: Charlie Francis. For 6 bucks on Kindle, you too can understand more about:

- The differences between traditional periodisation (long to short) and the "short to long" approach
- How to manipulate weight percentages, volumes and intensities to transition "pure strength" to "usable power"
- Why CNS "central nervous system" development is important for sprinters, how to optimally stimulate it, and which excercises to use to develop great power.
- How to balance strength volumes and intensities - for strength sake - with specific sport volumes and intensities, and why it is important

Honestly, this material is pure gold, and has filled many of the gaps in my personal knowledge. As my contribution to this thread, to those of you who want to understand more about this side of things, I commend:

Charlie Francis: Training for Power and Strength in Speed
Charlie Francis: The Structure of Training for Speed.

Cheers

Last edited by DHRB45; 09-03-15 at 02:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-03-15, 08:10 AM

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those looks like some great reads, seems I have to find a kindle now lol. He sells a PDF version but for more than twice as much. Also has a few videos but are not cheap.

You should file this under the 'interesting finds from around the web' thread
Old 09-03-15, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DHRB45
Thats really good, cos I have learnt a whole pile of stuff from you guys too thanks !

I kicked off this thread, because I wanted to know more about "How to develop Devastating Power" - and how to apply it to Track-cycling. There was an acknowledged lack of info in the library / web - but I had recognised clues in the Athletics world. At least, there was good information available from Top coaches - i.e. coaches who had taken sprinters to Olympic / World records. And they used weights, as the primary means of developing strength and Power. There had to be overlaps for us Sprint cyclists - but what were they?

Thanks to one of the members, I was pointed to Top coach: Charlie Francis. For 6 bucks on Kindle, you too can understand more about:

- The differences between traditional periodisation (long to short) and the "short to long" approach
- How to manipulate weight percentages, volumes and intensities to transition "pure strength" to "usable power"
- Why CNS "central nervous system" development is important for sprinters, how to optimally stimulate it, and which excercises to use to develop great power.
- How to balance strength volumes and intensities - for strength sake - with specific sport volumes and intensities, and why it is important

Honestly, this material is pure gold, and has filled many of the gaps in my personal knowledge. As my contribution to this thread, to those of you who want to understand more about this side of things, I commend:

Charlie Francis: Training for Power and Strength in Speed
Charlie Francis: The Structure of Training for Speed.

Cheers
Those looks like some great reads, seems I have to find a kindle now lol. He sells a PDF version but for more than twice as much. Also has a few videos but are not cheap.

You should file this under the 'interesting finds from around the web' thread
Ha. One is like an "overview" - around 30 pages. 'tother is the full monty. Illuminated my understanding I can tell you.

but hey, you dont necessarily need a Kindle. I dont have one, just use the "PC Kindle reader" on my laptop instead
Old 09-03-15, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Also note that the sprinter's bible online UpUpUp has now made reference to Charlie Francis in the latest addition

Overview ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling
Old 09-07-15, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Also note that the sprinter's bible online UpUpUp has now made reference to Charlie Francis in the latest addition

Overview ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling
Mighty. Thanks brawlo. I had suspected, but hadnt fully realised that some leg excercises develop exponentially more force than the standard squat. Or that they contributed to a greater nervous system / neuro muscular response. Which, contributes to a greater level of "raw" power, which can then be used / transferred to be used for contributing to greater power (and therefore speed) on a bike. MOst interesting ..

I find it fascinating that I had to learn about this whole area from the Athletics Sprinting world ..

Last edited by DHRB45; 09-08-15 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi .. Whats your email address pse? Have an Bicycle Speed REcord update to share with you .. suggest send it to me at dhrbernard@gmail.com Cheers !