Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vacation Bike Rentals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vacation Bike Rentals

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Is it OK to ask whether this a US or overseas destination? Most rental rates apply lower rates for longer rentals. Is there only one rental place at your destination? Some rental places will deliver and pick up the bike from a remote location. Obviously, this may be only a worthy option for a longer term rental.

I used to rent quite often, but I gradually switched to a Brompton that I take along. A folding bike is a bit awkward to ride, but some of my rentals around the Walmart type were actually far more awkward. A rental involves lost time getting the bike and returning it, with opening times and locations often at tension with your plans. Then you waste time adjusting the bike to you and a Walmart type bike will only be pushed from one state of unsatisfactory operation to another. There the folder wins. On the other hand, interactions with people at the rentals, who are usually bike enthusiasts, tend to leave pleasant memories.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 06-12-23, 06:29 PM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
The 3 days X $50 in a week hypothetical situation is very accurate in my personal experience traveling and bicycling. If you're with the family or SO, and/or if you're in a place with any interesting things to do at all, you're not going to ride every day. At least that's been the case for me.

On the other hand, I would just rent the bike for the whole week. I'm not spending the time going to go back and forth to the rental shop transporting the bike, do the paperwork, install my saddle (or adjust theirs), install my pedals, etc. three times. Actually when I rent away from home, I usually bring my own saddle and pedals, and sometimes even change the stem. It's not a big deal to do this once, but three times, including the overall rental hassle would be just enough to make the math of "worthwhile" sway towards either not doing it at all, or paying for a whole week. So that's the way I tend to think of it: if I'm vacationing for a week and plan to ride more than once, I kind of figure a whole week rental cost into the decision.

My wife and I did the same to avoid having to transport the bikes back and forth. We have transported them several times and will in the future I'm sure. But when it comes to our travel trailer which we keep in a different state a long airplane flight from home and use a couple of times per year for 4-10 weeks at a time, we decided to buy modest/inexpensive but very serviceable, versatile "gravel" bikes to leave with the trailer. There's no $ formula which justifies this - after all, the airline we fly with does not charge extra for a bike case (just treated as normal luggage). Packing and unpacking is something I'm reasonably efficient with. But we just got tired of handling the large cases, finding transportation to and from the airport that would handle two large cases plus our carry-on size luggage, storing the cases when not in use, etc. Things you pay money for just for convenience without a firm financial justification happens more for me the older I get!
When you’re young you trade time for money.
When you’re old you trade money for time.
The last 2 weeks an astronomical amount gets spent just to prolong the forgone conclusion. Often with the state or others picking up the tab.
Such is life.
Old 06-14-23, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by campfire
Would a folding bike solve this problem, or would that still be too bulky for your situation?
Maybe. And over the years, I've given that some thought - both in terms of adding couplers to a bike or buying a small-wheeled folder. But still, another large-ish and heavy-ish piece of luggage to schlep and transport. I doubt it would less expensive either since I don't have a frame that could be converted with couplers and I'm pretty sure a decent small wheeled folder would be more expensive than the very satisfactory "cheap" Salsa Journeyers we have now. But yeah it has been on my radar in years past.