Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips for Going Lighter?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips for Going Lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 08:49 PM
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayr
or buy 2 beers and make a pot and the stove too... I messed around with all sorts of alcohol can stove designs and they all seemed to work pretty well to boil up some water. Pretty tough to mess them up actually so it's something you could do on the road with just a pocket knife or multi-tool. I did buy the one I use now off e-bay though since it was made out of an alum. beer bottle and is quite a bit stronger than a can. I just wish you could still get the 24oz heineken keg cans. The Fosters can pot works fine and fits real nice in a Nalgine bottle with the top cut off, but the keg cans were much tougher.
I too was on a kick building alcohol can stoves.
also micro fires with twigs, and small stones, etc...

I also met a guy who never did any laundry, and he had very little cycling gear.
instead of doing laundry, he just bought clothing out of a thrift store or garage sale.

at times I'd wonder why I even carried a stupid fork.
that is to say... in our developed world, riding a bike down most roads from town to town, we pass up a lot of resources, like plastic spoons and forks at just about any retail spot. sugar is everywhere, all you have to do is ask.

in many ways... everything you need is all ready "out there" "on the road", if its a plastic fork at a gas station, a plastic bag under a trash can, twigs along the side of the road to cook with, or a motel.
Old 01-13-12, 05:01 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Several people have mentioned using beer cans as a pot. I'd be careful because it's my understanding that all beer cans are lined. The heating process may release unwanted chemicals into your heated food or water. Obviously use as stove is not a problem.
Old 01-13-12, 08:38 AM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Several people have mentioned using beer cans as a pot. I'd be careful because it's my understanding that all beer cans are lined. The heating process may release unwanted chemicals into your heated food or water. Obviously use as stove is not a problem.
I once read a whole article/forum post on this before. Something about how the lining process itself is done and how heat won't affect it as much as one might think. Basically, as long as there is liquid in the "pot" the lining won't be affected at all. I have burned one empty and saw the lining brown and crack. but after many uses with other beer can pots, I've never seen any issues. At most, you might end up changing pots just because soot will build up on the bottom after a while. Some folks at backpacking light will keep a few on hand and change them out every so often, but largely, the lining hasn't been an issue.
Old 01-13-12, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most what I'll say is already mentioned, but I'll chime in as I haven't posted on BF in a long time, I backpack and bike camp a fair amount haven't toured in awhile. I have big feet so heel clearance was always an issue for my using rear bags, I ended up making my own, which are pretty narrow so can't overload them to start with. My cook set is nominal with an alcohol stove and cup.. Tools are limited, I cary this Park multitool never had anything it couldn't do on the fly(it is kinda heavy). My biggest weight loss came from ditching my tent for a 10x10 silnylon tarp, I doubt I'll ever tote a tent again. And less it's needed I do a blanket not a sleeping bag, sleeping bag is kinda hard to do without though when I can't do fires. Food is minimal I buy when get where I'm going(generally have stores). I ditched the sleeping pad and air mattress ages ago
(less cold weather) for a reusable space blanket(far more multi use anyway). Good hammock and learn how to set it up you'll never sleep on the ground again Spares like tubes and whatnot I rarely need(went with most bombroof setup I could afford so far it works), tools and spares get heavy. Ditched my metal frame pump for my far lighter plastic one....doesn't work as well to beat a dog with though.

Like I said I'm not really touring atm, and should I do a tour(looking at riding across the state in the spring....yeah I might change some of it) and carry more tools. I know from past experiences backpacking and traveling by bike it gets far too easy to overload, why I try and keep my bags small(I am thinking about frame bags again as people are making proper designs now. And seeing the guy with the BD's vids it makes sense. I guess my point would be, take an inventory of items you currently use and ask yourself do I really need this?

I'll give an example and shut up, I like old surplus Euro stuff, I have this swiss ss cookset made for military thing is bombproof been all over the world with it, never fails. But it's a frikkin' boat anchor. I still like ss stuff though but I asked myself do I really need something this heavy and well kinda big as well and I couldn't nest much in it. Totally rethought how I used a spirit stove, and fire usable item, ended up with something half the size and 1/3 the weight, and far more functional, that I use on foot or on my bike. Minimalism is great and all but I like having options as well, it's done easily enough just requires thought. And can be done cheaply too.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 01-13-12, 04:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I once read a whole article/forum post on this before. Something about how the lining process itself is done and how heat won't affect it as much as one might think.
beer gets pasteurized in the can. so any nasty stuff, if any, has already cooked into the beer. does that make you feel better or worse?
Old 01-13-12, 06:16 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston
beer gets pasteurized in the can. so any nasty stuff, if any, has already cooked into the beer. does that make you feel better or worse?
Ah, this was it. Basically, the lining is already made to NOT leech of stuff when heat is applied. So boiling water is fine.

What is it that scares people about aluminum cans? I think I read somewhere on this forum (maybe not touring) where someone was suggesting a link between Alzheimers on the rise, and metal poisoning from aluminum cans. This person obviously did not understand the things were lined. Seems to be a lot of misunderstood things about the common soda can...
Old 01-13-12, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston
According micromatic.com, the beer is heated for two or three minutes to a temperature of only 140 deg F, well below boiling point and a spray mist of water is used in the process, not direct heat.

cyccommute might be able to shed light on the plastic used to line the cans and its safety on being intensely heated.
Old 01-13-12, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is it that scares people about aluminum cans?
A general lack of understanding about relative risks of everyday stuff.
Old 01-13-12, 09:59 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
when young, we used to commonly make billies for boiling water and cooking food over campfires out of tin cans; now that an epoxy coating containing bisphenol-A (BPA) lines most cans including beer cans, applying direct heat to a can for use as a cooking utensil is quite the dubious proposition.

I strongly suggest forum readers using cans as pots to reconsider their choice of cooking vessel.

man up and buy a small cookset - you can even buy compact, lightweight ones made of aluminum.

Last edited by Bekologist; 01-13-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 10:06 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Here's one thread on backpackinglight about it:

https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=17193

A google search on that site shows it comes up a lot:

https://www.google.com/search?ix=hcb...ckinglight.com
Old 01-14-12, 09:38 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

yum, leaching toxin containing epoxy into food and water on a trip sounds so tasty, all to save a couple of ounces.
Old 01-14-12, 03:14 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

The main concern here is BPA. This is why you see so many BPA Free labels on bottles and such. Here is probably the best summation that I would agree with from the BPL forum link I posted:

You do absorb some from the lining. The EPA recommends that you limit intake to less than 50 micrograms/ kg of body wt per day. 50 micrograms is 1500 times the amount of BPA released in an hour of boiling. So if you're like most of us you heat/boil water in your beer can pot for maybe 10 minutes or 1/6 of an hour. One sixth of 32 nanograms is about 5 nanograms. So you have 5 nanograms (5 trillionths of a gram) of BPA in your boiled water or 1/10,000 of the EPA limit.

BPA is easily broken down by the body and excreted within about 2 days.
So in reality, yes, you should know that toxins are going to be leeched. But you should also be aware that the "risk" really isn't a risk at all. Like zero risk. I mean, if you're going to not use a beer can pot for concern of the lining leeching things off, you should probably never, ever eat fish again for the rest of your life for fear of mercury poisoning, and you might as well avoid any non-organic fruits and vegetables for fear of pesticides and you might want to carry hand sanitizer and apply it every 5-10 minutes, or at least immediately after handling money or touching a door knob. In fact, better yet, just stay inside and never leave. It's a scary world out there.
Old 01-14-12, 03:19 PM
totally louche

I don't know, even if there were no BP-A to be concerned about, i bet the epoxy lining cans could be pretty noxious in and of itself when heated by direct flame.

Why even bother when ultralite cooksets are easily available, don't have an epoxy coating, are more durable and won't crush when mishandled? just to save a couple of ounces in your kit weight? to brag about how light your kit has become on the internets? to validate ones' thrift?

sounds pretty over the top to this sourdough.
Old 01-14-12, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jude
Also - get synthetic fibers instead of cotton for clothing. As well as probably being lighter, they hold sweat less, get smelly less, and therefore will give you the dual benefit of smelling better and tempting you to carry less because you don't feel you need as many changes of clothes to feel clean.

Also I was interested to see the Ortlieb Back Rollers on front panniers. I'd been wondering if that was possible, not having seen the Ortlieb attachment system.
Synthetic stinks MORE, especially after the anti-microbial chemicals wash out of it. I use silk or merino tops, depending on the weather. For bottoms I use synthetic....natural fibers can't take that kind of abuse everyday. Bottoms get washed out everyday, if possible.
Old 01-14-12, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I don't know, even if there were no BP-A to be concerned about, i bet the epoxy lining cans could be pretty noxious in and of itself when heated by direct flame.

Why even bother when ultralite cooksets are easily available, don't have an epoxy coating, are more durable and won't crush when mishandled? just to save a couple of ounces in your kit weight? to brag about how light your kit has become on the internets? to validate ones' thrift?

I am not one to worry all that much about BPA and other things that seem to get elevated to the hysteria level by some. I also am a cheapskate and a bit of a weight weenie. That said I tend to agree.

When you can get a 3.8 ounce (24 ounce capacity) AntiGravityGear pot for $10, using an epoxy coated beer can as a pot seems kind of silly to me too. I do like the beer can stoves though.
Old 01-14-12, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AsanaCycles
at times I'd wonder why I even carried a stupid fork.
that is to say... in our developed world, riding a bike down most roads from town to town, we pass up a lot of resources, like plastic spoons and forks at just about any retail spot. sugar is everywhere, all you have to do is ask.

in many ways... everything you need is all ready "out there" "on the road", if its a plastic fork at a gas station, a plastic bag under a trash can, twigs along the side of the road to cook with, or a motel.
This is not true everywhere. Where I live, the Northeast, you can't ride more than 100 feet in any direction without bumping into a 7-11, Dairy Queen, diner, supermarket, etc, etc. On the other hand, certain parts of the Midwest and Southwest have lost tremendous amounts of its rural population. You look at a map and and you'll see towns and villages. When you actually ride in, you'll discover that the "town" is a few ramshackle old houses inhabited by elderly people, and there is nothing else around for miles, no gas stations, no supermarkets, nothing. In some places the nearest Walmart is 40 miles away.

Last edited by Fissile; 01-14-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

+1
Old 01-14-12, 08:30 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Ah, this was it. Basically, the lining is already made to NOT leech of stuff when heat is applied. So boiling water is fine.

What is it that scares people about aluminum cans? I think I read somewhere on this forum (maybe not touring) where someone was suggesting a link between Alzheimers on the rise, and metal poisoning from aluminum cans. This person obviously did not understand the things were lined. Seems to be a lot of misunderstood things about the common soda can...
HA! I'm an idiot spreading misinformation. Please see my other links.
Old 01-14-12, 08:38 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

1) I get to drink a beer.

2) I get a "free" pot.

3) I get to "make" a pot for my cook kit. I like making things.

4) it's lighter than anything else out there.

It's not like I'm insisting that it's a necessity and that you're a fool for buying another pot. Buy and use what you want and what works for you. Why must you imply that others are foolish for choosing what they enjoy?
Old 01-14-12, 09:15 PM
totally louche

hey, i know how to boil water in a paper cup, but wouldn't recommend it for everyday use!

using an epoxy lined can to cook in is far-out, man. Modern food safety has eclipsed the days of using tin cans to cook in.

I'm bemused by that method of parsing the kit, but can't help but think there's some added flavor from that method.

Last edited by Bekologist; 01-14-12 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 01:18 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Go on a diet.
+1

I had a quick glance through this thread, and you might be the only person who suggested the obvious answer to this question.

Go on a diet and exercise plan, and drop your weight as low as you can, while still being within "normal" limits.

Because you're including exercise in this plan, you'll increase your strength which will allow you to cycle longer and climb more hills if you want.

Because you're eating less, you can save money to put toward the tour.

If you drop 20 lbs (or 30 lbs, or 50 lbs or whatever) of body weight ... you could carry additional luxury items with you, like maybe a thicker matt, a second pillow, additional socks without adding to the overall weight of bicycle + cyclists + gear.
Old 01-18-12, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pay attention to the "big 3" as backpackers do: tent, mattress, and sleeping bag. A two-person tent should weigh no more than 5 lbs, Getting it down to 3 or 4 lbs can be expensive. My 35-degree down sleeping bag weighs 2 lbs. In the summer I would only use a light quilt. Personally I don't skimp on mattress comfort. My Exped Synmat weighs about 32 oz which is quite heavy, but it's one of the most comfortable mattresses on the market. So that makes 9 lbs for those 3 items. That's considered midweight in the backpacking world, so it's possible to get it lower than that.
Old 01-19-12, 06:53 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

If you drop 20 lbs (or 30 lbs, or 50 lbs or whatever) of body weight ... you could carry additional luxury items with you, like maybe a thicker matt, a second pillow, additional socks without adding to the overall weight of bicycle + cyclists + gear.
Good point about loosing weight, but the UL tourist would not then replace the weight with "luxury" items. UL isn't about suffering, it's about not carrying useless items and doing what you can to reduce weight while maintaining comfort and utility.
Old 01-19-12, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,725 Times in 7,391 Posts
The ultimate tip for going lighter (scroll the bottom of the page):

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...picture!/page2
Old 01-23-12, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I second the notion that a light tent is the first place to look for weight savings. I use a Black Diamond Firstlight, and it folds up very small. A big advantage to single-wall tents becomes apparent once you have a humid or rainy night. Your typical tent with fly will have two big wet sheets to pack away (condensation on tent, and both condensation and rain on fly). With a good single wall tent, you have just one damp wall. On mine, I can pick the whole thing up and shake it over my head, getting most of the droplets off (and having a shower at the same time).

A second tip is to air out your sleeping bag and tent from the moment you get up (if possible). Condensation can limit the loft on your bag, and there is really no point carrying around extra moisture if you don't need to.

Other stuff that is light and good for it's weight -
titanium tea pot (can cook in it, and use it for coffee)
puff ball down jackets
down slippers
3M makes a good light, and bright rain suit (forget the name of the material, but it's like wearing paper, and it breathes nicely)
If you're camping in the sticks, take a small hatchet over a knife any day, the fiskars ones have hollow handles that you can keep your tools in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC06250.jpg (53.0 KB, 12 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.