Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bamboo socks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 01:09 PM
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
“They’re hunting socks, sir.”

”At this hour?”

I remember that!
Old 07-22-23, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Is anyone wearing bamboo socks while riding?
Are they delicate or do they last like cotton socks?
Are they made of voter's ballots from Arizona?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 07-25-23, 02:53 AM

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
As with any socks their durability depends on the fabric content and construction. While I don't wear any kind of wool on my torso(itchy), I can wear socks made from merino blends(w/nylon or polyester) Those also have better durability. I ride in Smartwool liner socks that are like a 60/40 nylon blend that have been quite durable, and they were like $12 at the time.

I gotta say also, from having worn Wigwam Coolmax liners for 20+ years those are incredibly durable and are cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and no odor build up. From that standpoint, they are the "best buy" ever !

I have some tees made from bamboo fibers and as noted, not so durable by itself. If you can find a sock brand that blends it with synthetics though that increases it's durability exponentially. At least with the tees I have, there's no wicking to bamboo fibers. They absorb water like a sponge and dry slow just like cotton. Because of that, even blended, I have my doubts as to using them active use because of the moisture holding. Real "wicking" fabrics are those whose fibers don't absorb water(because they can't), the water flows around them, aka "transports" or encourages movement of the moisture away from the skin and through the gaps in the fabric to the outer surface where it can either evaporate or be transported to another layer. The evaporative cooling effect works so well that in cool/cold weather it has to controlled with a wind shedding fabric or else you'll get too cold. (Like a runaway A/C in a hotel room). I laugh at the spiel about "wool insulating when wet". Well sure, and so do synthetics when constructed in a like air-trapping way, aka "fleece-y". Both kinds of fabrics, when wet and exposed to cold wind on their own, will leave you freezing. Under a wind shedding layer, they both will keep you warm.
Old 07-25-23, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
"Bamboo" is just a fancy way of saying "rayon". It is another type of rayon fabric. Been around for many decades in some form or another.
Not all of it. Rayon is made by chemically extracting cellulose from various sources, including bamboo and trees, and forming that cellulose into fibers. That's an extremely wasteful and environmentally harmful process. The cheaper "bamboo" fabrics use that method, but as you point out, the resulting material is the same whether it comes from bamboo or trees, and has been around for decades.

Bamboo fibers themselves can be separated and spun into yarn. This mechanical process is more environmentally friendly and results in true bamboo fibers which provide some of the benefits people are looking for. It's also more expensive. You have to read labels and sometimes it's not so clear what type of "bamboo" fabric you're getting.
Old 07-25-23, 10:22 AM

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Not all of it. Rayon is made by chemically extracting cellulose from various sources, including bamboo and trees, and forming that cellulose into fibers. That's an extremely wasteful and environmentally harmful process. The cheaper "bamboo" fabrics use that method, but as you point out, the resulting material is the same whether it comes from bamboo or trees, and has been around for decades.

Bamboo fibers themselves can be separated and spun into yarn. This mechanical process is more environmentally friendly and results in true bamboo fibers which provide some of the benefits people are looking for. It's also more expensive. You have to read labels and sometimes it's not so clear what type of "bamboo" fabric you're getting.
Source for that latter claim? From what I'm reading online, the vast majority of "bamboo" clothing is viscose rayon.
Old 07-25-23, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
Source for that latter claim? From what I'm reading online, the vast majority of "bamboo" clothing is viscose rayon.
Well, this is the second result in a Google search so it should be easy to find more. Yes, the majority of "bamboo" fabric is rayon, same as that made from trees. This describes both kinds, including the kind made out of real bamboo fibers.

What Is Bamboo Fabric?
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-30-23, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love bamboo socks. Though I haven't had any for a while. Thanks for the reminder; I'll have to get some again.
Old 07-30-23, 06:02 AM

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Well, this is the second result in a Google search so it should be easy to find more. Yes, the majority of "bamboo" fabric is rayon, same as that made from trees. This describes both kinds, including the kind made out of real bamboo fibers.

What Is Bamboo Fabric?
Hmmm... very interesting, thanks!

I bought a set of 'bamboo' bed sheets last year just as a test, having never heard of anything like them before made from this source. They're less $$$ than comparable high thread count cotton sheets, very comfortable to sleep on and with a cooler feel to them during the warmer months of summer & fall. I bought a second set not long ago that have a different weight than the first but those positive attributes are there also.

One notable difference between the first and second set is that the first is much heavier coming out of the washing machine! The wet fabric feels a lot like heavy cotton canvas but that impression disappears once they've been dried either by hanging outside on a line or run through the dryer on a low temp setting. The newer second set when damp feels more like traditional cotton sheets I still prefer for cooler months. There's something different in how the fabrics they're made of react to being in water.

Never heard of socks woven from bamboo but there's a lot of things I haven't heard of. When I was an active cross-country skier I heard about silk socks as a first layer, they're supposed to be warm, wick moisture well, wear well if properly cared for but tend to be pricey. By now if bamboo were such a useful fiber source I'd have to think we'd have bamboo t-shirts & other wearables getting some attention.

Fairly easy but destructive test would be to hold a fabric item to an open flame, see what happens. In my experience rayon will melt before charring, plant fibers will ignite then turn to ash. I may take a sample of an extra 'bamboo' pillowcase I have & try this myself, see what happens.

Stay tuned....
Likes For spclark: