Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-23, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
No? Lycra didn't hit cycling 'til the '70s...
​​​​​​Talking about road biking (not what paperboys wore riding a one-speed balloon tire bike in the '60s).
Yep. I remember vividly when the first Giordana shorts shipment arrived at the shop from Gita Sports Inc.

From a quick search:
"Assos constructed the first pair of Lycra cycling shorts for the Ti-Raleigh team in 1976, and Castelli popularized the trend with its own made-for-public version a year later, a black one-size-fits-all pair of shorts. Cotton and wool shorts became obsolete."

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-09-23 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-09-23, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
I had a 10 speed road bike that I rode on the roads where I lived, back in the late 60's early 70's, but we wore cutoff denim jeans and t shirts. Now I've progressed to cotton shorts and fluorescent t shirts.
I had a single speed in the 60s - the mechanism to climb small hills was to use strength combined with gravity by standing on pedals and push as hard as a BMI of 18 could manage. 😉
In the late 70s I bought my first multi-gear bicycle, a 3x7 Bianchi, suited for touring.
Always wore only cotton clothes and like you, cutoffs were good for summer. In recent decades, I too switched to fluorescent cotton t-shirts. In winter, I take advantage of multiple layers of more modern fabrics but outer layer is never too tight. I stop bicycling in winter when the temp gets around -10F; this is when breathing can become uncomfortable if the air isn’t pre-warmed by a layer of bank-robber gear (face mask). Below freezing, with fresh snow, bicycling is exhilarating with right kind of clothes and bicycle!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-14-23, 07:33 PM

Going to work in winter

My first try in uploading a photo on this forum. I wasn’t sure it would work but it did.
It is probably the wrong thread or section of the forum. I’d appreciate someone’s guidance in moving this photo to a more suitable area.
This photo is several years old but winter bicycle riding hasn’t changed drastically. There are times when I think that I could use a little bit of that global warming thingy around here but it doesn’t seem to happen. 😉🤪
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-14-23, 07:52 PM

The next winter

Commuting in winter on a bike path

More of the same, next year too…

[Commuting on a Litespeed titanium bicycle with all XTR components - 26” wheels custom laced on 32h XTR hubs. The original titanium straight handlebar replaced with slightly curved bar for a more upright posture, two bright headlamps in the front (one used on blinking setting and the other on at ~75% setting), one bright blinking red light in the rear that is supposed to be visible to even the criminally drunk. 😉]
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-15-23, 05:21 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
I had a 10 speed road bike that I rode on the roads where I lived, back in the late 60's early 70's, but we wore cutoff denim jeans and t shirts. Now I've progressed to cotton shorts and fluorescent t shirts.
Yup did the same. Brown Schwinn Varsity, cut offs and t shirt and sneakers. When started riding longer distances a cycling friend of mine suggested cycling shorts with a ‘gasp’ chamois. Tried them and was instantly hooked on the all day comfort, but still wore t shirts. Same friend later told me that cotton t shirts were not the best for keeping cool and created drag flapping in the wind. Bought an on-sale jersey at REI. Now I had pockets again to carry my stuff, and he was right about cooling. He had been a serious cyclist for a couple of decades before we met.

Then found some cycling shoes which were glorified sneakers with stiffer soles that worked with the toe-straps but never felt really secure. Same friend chimed, now that we were doing 50-60 mile rides, that I was wasting energy with my flexi-shoes and should buy some proper cycling shoes. So I did and the cleats nicely locked into the pedals and toe straps.

On one ride had a bad flat which the frame pump I carried would not overcome. A nice cyclist came to my rescue with all the tools and a patch to get me up and going. The next day I went to the LBS and bought an under-seat bag, tire irons (no more flat headed screw driver), a tube and patch kit.

After being regularly dropped on climbs and wearing myself out on my 32 lb bike, I bought a 12 speed Bianchi with the svelte weight of 28 lbs. I felt like I was flying after losing 4 lbs. And so the saga continued eventually to Look clipless pedals and more cycling gear.

Fast forward 40 years and now I buy good quality cycling gear (on sale if possible), have a carbon bike with carbon aero wheels, power meter and a bike computer (Garmin 830) that can do everything but wipe my…you get the picture. With all this new equipment and a far lighter bike, I can ride about 1-2 MPH slower than in my 30s when I was at my peak - pushing the first Bianchi.

”Times change and so have I” and I still enjoy cycling just as much - except for the part of running out of air on long very steep (my definition is 15*+) climbs and having to take more rest days and….and…

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-15-23, 09:36 PM

Bikes: `07 Trek Pilot 5.0 w/ 105 triple, carbon, road; Windsor Super Carrera`81 vintage 10 speed road; Fuji Sunfire knobby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
2nd post here. I guess a test post.

Will see what happens, if anything.

I lovely day to ride. One more tomorrow.
I was out on local Stone Bridge Trail today. And connected Long Prairie Trail. Between Roscoe and Harvard, IL

I tried to post a couple pics. I'm not allowed to until I acrue a few posts. That's fine.
Old Guy
Likes For Old Guy8:
Old 11-16-23, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Guy8
Will see what happens, if anything.

I lovely day to ride. One more tomorrow.
I was out on local Stone Bridge Trail today. And connected Long Prairie Trail. Between Roscoe and Harvard, IL

I tried to post a couple pics. I'm not allowed to until I acrue a few posts. That's fine.
Old Guy
Is that you Todd? Welcome. Yup you need 10 posts before posting pics.
Old 11-16-23, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob
Yup did the same. Brown Schwinn Varsity, cut offs and t shirt and sneakers. When started riding longer distances a cycling friend of mine suggested cycling shorts with a ‘gasp’ chamois. Tried them and was instantly hooked on the all day comfort, but still wore t shirts. Same friend later told me that cotton t shirts were not the best for keeping cool and created drag flapping in the wind. Bought an on-sale jersey at REI. Now I had pockets again to carry my stuff, and he was right about cooling. He had been a serious cyclist for a couple of decades before we met.

Then found some cycling shoes which were glorified sneakers with stiffer soles that worked with the toe-straps but never felt really secure. Same friend chimed, now that we were doing 50-60 mile rides, that I was wasting energy with my flexi-shoes and should buy some proper cycling shoes. So I did and the cleats nicely locked into the pedals and toe straps.

On one ride had a bad flat which the frame pump I carried would not overcome. A nice cyclist came to my rescue with all the tools and a patch to get me up and going. The next day I went to the LBS and bought an under-seat bag, tire irons (no more flat headed screw driver), a tube and patch kit.

After being regularly dropped on climbs and wearing myself out on my 32 lb bike, I bought a 12 speed Bianchi with the svelte weight of 28 lbs. I felt like I was flying after losing 4 lbs. And so the saga continued eventually to Look clipless pedals and more cycling gear.

Fast forward 40 years and now I buy good quality cycling gear (on sale if possible), have a carbon bike with carbon aero wheels, power meter and a bike computer (Garmin 830) that can do everything but wipe my…you get the picture. With all this new equipment and a far lighter bike, I can ride about 1-2 MPH slower than in my 30s when I was at my peak - pushing the first Bianchi.

”Times change and so have I” and I still enjoy cycling just as much - except for the part of running out of air on long very steep (my definition is 15*+) climbs and having to take more rest days and….and…
In my subjective assessment you are doing much better than most people I know, including I.
Just today, I was out of breath on about 8 degree uphill grade. I had not been there for quite some time and the problem with this stretch is that just for a short distance around the bend, there is this illusion that finally, it’s leveling off but as soon as you are about halfway done with the curve, you see another stretch that keeps going upward. This happens about 4 times, this distance is no more than a mile but at my age, being able to do it without getting off the bike is a resounding success!

My plan is to keep at it as long as I can!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-18-23, 01:00 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Me too? Having a 1-to-1 and a regular ride schedule has been de rigueur...
Old 11-25-23, 11:14 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I haven't posted much on this forum. My cycling concerns are more about getting 'er done than anything else. "Lets get 'er done" is rando-speak for get back on your frigging bike and ride. I'm trying hard not to back it off too much as I age. This is me on RAMROD in 2018. My 2019 photo didn't come out. Then the club missed the two Covid years and didn't contract for photos in '22 and my heart wouldn't allow me to ride it in '23. My bib # in the photo is 10, meaning that out of 800 riders there were 9 riders older than I when I was 74. I had a good ride that year. Mt. Rainier in the background of course. I'm turning so that I just miss the photographer. He kept saying, "Keep coming, keep coming." I use a Camelbak on that ride so I stay hydrated and only have to stop at 3 rest stops.

I don't know if I'll ever ride it again. I don't think I can get sufficiently trained up for '24, maybe by '25. Hard to say. My riding buddies say I'm coming back really fast. I have another heart procedure, an ablation, Dec. 22. If that goes well, it should fix my last issue, vTach. I might miss a couple weeks of cycling, etc., though. Then 6 weeks of work to get back to where I was before the procedure.

Old 11-25-23, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I haven't posted much on this forum. My cycling concerns are more about getting 'er done than anything else. "Lets get 'er done" is rando-speak for get back on your frigging bike and ride. I'm trying hard not to back it off too much as I age. This is me on RAMROD in 2018. My 2019 photo didn't come out. Then the club missed the two Covid years and didn't contract for photos in '22 and my heart wouldn't allow me to ride it in '23. My bib # in the photo is 10, meaning that out of 800 riders there were 9 riders older than I when I was 74. I had a good ride that year. Mt. Rainier in the background of course. I'm turning so that I just miss the photographer. He kept saying, "Keep coming, keep coming." I use a Camelbak on that ride so I stay hydrated and only have to stop at 3 rest stops.

I don't know if I'll ever ride it again. I don't think I can get sufficiently trained up for '24, maybe by '25. Hard to say. My riding buddies say I'm coming back really fast. I have another heart procedure, an ablation, Dec. 22. If that goes well, it should fix my last issue, vTach. I might miss a couple weeks of cycling, etc., though. Then 6 weeks of work to get back to where I was before the procedure.

As a mid 70s guy myself, I read you: get on the bike! Good luck with the ablation. You should be up and about soon after but should probably not get back on the bike until your follow-up visit.
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 11-25-23, 01:59 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
As a mid 70s guy myself, I read you: get on the bike! Good luck with the ablation. You should be up and about soon after but should probably not get back on the bike until your follow-up visit.
I like your sig. Me, too. It is all about fixing stuff. Some folks complain, other folks act. "If it hurts, work it." That guy did set an hour record at 104.
Old 11-26-23, 04:22 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Good luck with the ablation.

I've just started refusing to be surprised by age-related losses. I'm just enjoying the stuff I still can do. I'm pretty bummed that my Thanksgiving dinner was Paxlovid, though.
Old 11-26-23, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Paxlovid for me in August- up till then... I was a super-dodger. You may lose your sense of taste- I did but only for ~ a week.
Old 11-30-23, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Newbie here, but on post #10 so there’s that! Yay! Turning 67 in a few months and getting back up on my bike after a right hip injury… Currently just on a trainer in the house. Love all the encouragement and inspiration in this thread! A big thank you to everyone who shares their life and insights with us! Thank you!
Likes For jem01:
Old 11-30-23, 01:49 PM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by jem01
... getting back up on my bike after a right hip injury… Currently just on a trainer in the house.
That's a great way to get started! I broke my right femur in a crash with a car in 2017. Once I could get on the stationary bike at the physical therapist's office, I set up a beater Dawes Galaxy on my CycleOps trainer. It was there that I first managed to rotate the crank all the way around. (It was a surprise.) The Dawes was supposed to be a "flip," purchased from Craigslist. After its stellar performance during rehab I decided to keep it. It is now one of my two around town bikes.

So, get on that trainer and polish your trainer bike.
Old 11-30-23, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
“So, get on that trainer and polish your trainer bike.

Just finished 25 minutes on the trainer with the last two minutes increasing tempo. Other than being winded… My hip feels great! Feels so good to hurt this way… As I feel my body healing! Thank you!

Likes For jem01:
Old 12-02-23, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3201 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
I have only recently felt old enough to participate in the 50+. I am also qualified here, at 71. Boomers one and all.
Old 12-02-23, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I have only recently felt old enough to participate in the 50+. I am also qualified here, at 71. Boomers one and all.
Show off your wheels!
Old 12-30-23, 08:40 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
Show off your wheels!

In fact, we ought to be showing all those bikes from the 65+ crowd.
Or at least a sampling.
My sig line is Vintage, Modern, E-road. Let me find pics.

Vintage

Modern (well, at least integrated levers)

Can always enjoy longer rides!

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-30-23 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 12:51 AM
BeastMaster

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Retrospec Spec (highly modified), EPX fixie

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
[QUOTE=Wildwood;23115063]

In fact, we ought to be showing all those bikes from the 65+ crowd.

My Dahon Mu P8 daily driver folder

My highly modified Retrospec “Spec” folder

My EPS tri-fixie built w/ Campy, Profile Design, Deda & Fizik parts, Zipp/Phil Wood wheels

Taking a break in Kapiolani Park during a ride yesterday
Likes For Need41speed:
Old 12-31-23, 08:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I'm 68...
Wishing I still had my old Diadora shoes with the wooden soles...just to show them to people now and then.
Rode a bit over 10k miles this year.
Life is good and I'm one lucky m'f'er...ride on !
Old 12-31-23, 06:05 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Happy New Year's Eve.
Nice to ride in Winter.

Triple for old legs
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-02-24, 08:35 PM

Bikes: `07 Trek Pilot 5.0 w/ 105 triple, carbon, road; Windsor Super Carrera`81 vintage 10 speed road; Fuji Sunfire knobby

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just upping my posts count to get to magic #10

This is post #6. Can't seem to be able do much until accrued 10. I do understand why.
Too cold here, N. Illinois, for biking anyway.
I got back into riding again last fall. Since then arthritis in one knee has been acting up periodically . Anyone use Voltaren arthritis salve? I've added it a few times a day. Haven't decided if it has any effect. Also use Aleve.
Old 01-03-24, 07:41 AM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Guy8
This is post #6...Anyone use Voltaren arthritis salve?...
Diclofenac Sodium 1% gel keeps me moving. Rheumatoid was more of a nuisance to me until my 70s when Osteoarthritis came to town and would shut me down. When I follow the directions exactly (application size, four times a day, etc.) and importantly start when I first notice it coming on it has worked very well. We are snowbird and up at the cabin it can be hard to find Voltaren but I have learned all of the generic diclofenac sodium 1% gels work just as well. If you don't catch it early it can take days to have an affect. Hope it works for you as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.